Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prestigious site Destructoid confers a 6/10 on Witcher 2

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Serious_Business said:
Wait what

What's going on

Why did you wake me up u asshole

We're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok?

Wake up.

Stand up.

There you go. You were dreaming. What's your name?

dPbEn.jpg

well he is right about the interface, shitty combat and pretty much everything that sucks in twicher2.

deal with it my fellow potatos : x

Jezal_k23

The game didn't feature enough reused environments so obviously it doesn't deserve anything higher than a 6.

Catalina

Scholar
Mastermind said:
:lol:
:salute:

Ironically, the article has the exact opposite effect from the one intended on me.

It had the same effect on me as well. The longer you read, the more hilarious the comments and the angry, trying-too-hard responses become. I'm hoping the blog entry is secretly some meta-troll post.

Otherwise, it's baffling that someone could write 5700 words of angry responses to what is so obviously troll speak. Of all the problems with the video game industry and females, the author chose to dedicate that much time and effort to comments made by Jim Sterling on the internet? Do his comments carry some kind of weight on changing the perceptions of the gaming community I"m not aware of? I was under the impression he was Sterling was basically the video game journalism industry's equivalent of the so called pundits on the news: a generator of ad revenue by making statements hardly anyone agrees with, but are worded in such a way people can't resist arguing or taking time to talk about it.

Also:
Go Make Me a Sandwich Article said:
Also, trigger warning for slut-shaming and jokes about abuse
:roll:

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Captain Shrek said:
http://www.gameblog.fr/test_971_the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-pc

Counter-trolled by the french!

:love: :thumbsup: :salute:

On n'aime pas:
Syndrome de la difficulté RPG

:retarded: Do I want to know what this means?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
He gave Deadly Premonition a 10/10, which was fucking awesome.

Unfortunately the fact that it's only on consoles means that nobody here will really know what I'm talking about.

ortucis

Prophet
AND THIS is why PC gaming sites like RockPaperShotgun need numbered ratings for their reviews. To balance out shit from console sites like Destructoid on sites like Metacritic and Gamerankings (which are important for developers/publishers).

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
sgc_meltdown said:
Serious_Business said:
Wait what

What's going on

Why did you wake me up u asshole

We're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok?

Wake up.

Stand up.

There you go. You were dreaming. What's your name?

dPbEn.jpg

Funny thing is... they were travelling together all that time and NOW he ask for his name? :M

curry

Arcane
Yet, by the time the game ends, you'll be cleaving through enemies like butter. If you spam your shield spell and unlock finishing moves, regular fights go from almost impossible to an insulting joke.
The issue of reward vs. hassle is typified in the game's quest objectives, which are all subject to flagrant heaps of backtracking and repetition, usually being of the "kill these" or "collect this" variety. Each chapter takes place in one large environment, and players will need to traipse through the same old scenery in order to complete any type of quest.
Most sidequests offer up little in the way of compensation either, and can often be safely skipped without missing anything worthwhile. The extra experience points are nice, but you can usually grind the same amount through combat in with less frustration, and monetary rewards are usually of inconsequential value.
Even aside from this problem, I have a list of niggling issues that, while small on their own, add up to constant annoyance. The game struggles to make doors work properly, often forcing Geralt and NPCs to take turns opening and closing them rather than leaving it open and letting everyone through at once.
Context-sensitive commands such as looting and climbing often require the player to be stood in an exact place, and won't work if he's even an inch out of this arbitrary space. These petty grievances mount up over time, especially when they occur at such regular intervals.

These :x

Angthoron

Arcane
Phage said:

Unfortunately the fact that it's only on consoles means that nobody here will really know what I'm talking about.

DP is awesome, there's a great LP ongoing at Something Awful, with a commenter that doesn't sound like an annoying moronic nerd. It's definitely not a 10/10 though, the game is severely crippled by its budget and the somewhat rushed ending.

As for this review, totally derp. The only annoying part of the prologue was the dragon stuff. Looting I can agree with though.

Shannow

Waster of Time
After so much bitching, you'll be expecting me to say that The Witcher 2 is a terrible game and ... it isn't.
Actually I expected you to excuse yourself for being a shitty reviewer...
How a review should be structured:
1. Introduce devs and prequel (if any).
2. Name specs of your rig and min/max specs of the game (if on PC)
#3. Introduce game (genre, general plot/starting point, graphics).
#4. General gameplay and character system (how does it play, what is it comparable to, what's unique, what works well, what doesn't)
#5. Story (general story, characters, etc., average length, replayability, spoiler tags where needed)
#6. Criticism
7. Resumé
Examples to prove and explain most of the points made.
# Can be interchanged and mixed

The "review" we got was:
1. 1/4 gameplay
1.1. Criticism
2. Schizophrenic resumé

The fuck?

zeitgeist

Magister
Angthoron said:
DP is awesome, there's a great LP ongoing at Something Awful, with a commenter that doesn't sound like an annoying moronic nerd. It's definitely not a 10/10 though, the game is severely crippled by its budget and the somewhat rushed ending.
Is it this one? I can't decide whether to actually play the entire thing or just watch the LP. From what I've seen by playing a little bit and reading about it, the whole Japanese take on Twin Peaks concept seems to be pretty amusing.

Angthoron

Arcane
zeitgeist said:
Angthoron said:
Is it this one? I can't decide whether to actually play the entire thing or just watch the LP. From what I've seen by playing a little bit and reading about it, the whole Japanese take on Twin Peaks concept seems to be pretty amusing.

Yeah, it's this one. I've been following it for a long time now and it is a very good LP. The combat seems to be annoying though, and I think it was spliced in eventually and wasn't even there originally. I would recommend watching one or two episodes and deciding if you want to play it yourself (and fund another interesting game while being occasionally annoyed with controls) or just follow the game through the LP.

I'll say it again, too - the LP quality is very good. The commentator shuts up when there's any kind of dialogue, and the comments and the voice are actually generally good overall as well. The guy is doing a 100% playthrough and so plays all sidequests (they are relevant to the story most of the time) at appropriate times (some things are exclusive to certain chapters of the game).

I would have bought the game if I had an XBOX thingy but since I don't, I amn't. Still, take a look first, make sure the combat is something you would do. Story and characters are good/great. Combat is not.

grotsnik

Arcane
Phage said:

DP was an incredibly charming game, but wasn't Sterling's 10/10 very much a 'it's so bad it's good! Ironic chortle, full marks, this'll irritate Heavy Rain fans after I gave their game a lower score' sort of review? Which fits in with his 'Armond White of video games' persona somewhat.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
ksjav said:
:retarded: Do I want to know what this means?

The guy says in the article that the game is too easy in normal.
Therefore he sets it to hard (or whatever the name).Then he says it gets too hard at the beginning, and the difficulty decreases to become too easy again.

He links to an article (http://www.gameblog.fr/dossier_238_les- ... te-des-rpg) where he wonders about difficulty in RPGs (triggered because NV was too easy from what he says).
Then... tldr because I'm hungry and I need my junk food fix. It seems he says RPGs need more difficulty and more varied challenges, not encessarily from the combats but from dialogues, puzzles, a better writing to hide some stuff from the player and so on...

Sannom

Augur
That's BloatCoat doing the review. Pass along, nothing to see here.

Gerrard

Arcane
Each chapter takes place in one large environment, and players will need to traipse through the same old scenery in order to complete any type of quest.
As opposed to traipsing through scenery that only looks the same as the old one, huh?
This guy is a legitimate idiot.

Man, life is a shitty game, I have to pass the same scenery every fucking day.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Destructoid is a console/ipad/iphone gaming site for the most part. Jim's problem is that he's grossly (obese and) inconsistent when reviewing things. I believe he gave Brink a 7 or something and it is ridden with bugs, poorly optimized, and generally terrible even for a console shooter.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
ortucis said:
AND THIS is why PC gaming sites like RockPaperShotgun need numbered ratings for their reviews. To balance out shit from console sites like Destructoid on sites like Metacritic and Gamerankings (which are important for developers/publishers).

No, this is why they don't.

Sterling obviously throws the score out there after he's written the review, most likely because he knows all-over-the-place-scores of popular titles get site hits from hordes of angry fanboys and bored gamers. At least a few of those people will actually read the review.

The damn score is fucking pointless and arbitrary, and is only meaningful to Metacritic whores. As they all are.

Side note: Sterling seems like he'd be a nigh-on ideal Codex regular. Someone should recruit him.

Imbecile

Arbiter
I've seen another 6/10 from a review site that I trust, but on the flip side my mate has bought it and thinks that its excellent. It sounds like its improved from the Witcher in some respects, but worsened in others. The difficulty curve sounds a bit fucked up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom