Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Prelude to Darkness Version 1.8 Bug Fix Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Prelude to Darkness

Esteemed community member Fowyr just released a small patch that fixes some of the bugs still left in version 1.8 of an old Codexian favorite, Zero-Sum's turn-based RPG Prelude to Darkness (official website here). Here's the changelog and installation instructions:

- Fixed the bugs that would teleport your party to Olvar's tavern after the death of any of your original characters.
- Mairo now gives you the second meal.
- Telus now talks to you after training.
- Fixed the bugs related to equipping the Novacula.

Instructions
Just put the files from the archive in your PtD 1.8 directory and delete events.bin.​

Download the fix here.

Download Prelude to Darkness 1.8 here.

If you have any further questions, direct them to Fowyr.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I gave up from this game because of the huge amount of CTD's. Is it more stable now?

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I loved this game when it first came out, but it so horribly unplayable...to this date I have never played a game with so many gamestopping bugs. Though I did play the demo true...but the demo needs to be bug free because a good experience with it is what will make ppl buy your game in the first place! Say what you want about Vogel, but his games are like 98% bug free, and the 2% bugs get squashed within days of being found. (it helps though that mac folk test the game first so it is bug free by the time it is released for pc ;) )

Anyhow, I would love more games by these folks now that they know what they are doing, but I guess this game did not sell well at all? Is that why it's being given for free? What a shame...hope they try again with Grimrock like graphics (3rd person though)

Zyrxil

Scholar
I gave up from this game because of the huge amount of CTD's. Is it more stable now?
Would probably be easier to rebuild the entire game with generic assets in NWN2 than to fix all that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Would probably be easier to rebuild the entire game with generic assets in NWN2 than to fix all that.

:flamesaw:

Would probably be easier to rebuild the entire game with generic assets in Dungeon Craft than to fix all that

Fixed that for you.

Modron

Arcane
For me the game was most stable around 1.40 and 1.41 but, still, I applaud Fowyr's herculean efforts to improve a small game hardly anyone besides us heard about.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I did play it until it started crashing in the sewers. Strangely i got really intolerant of crashes sometime in my life, must have been those long nights on the comp-sci lab.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Never got more than 3-4 hrs in before ragequitting after a torrent of CTD-s. Also, its lo-fi 3d is extremely unappealing to me. I'd rather tolerate rpg maker anime horseshit. Everything else about the game seems to be great, i just can't bring myself to live with constant crashing and butt ugly graphics. Wh didn't they choose a 2d engine for the project?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The graphics actually have a certain charm to them, but dat perspective... oh gods, why did they have to make a camera that is even worse than what Obsidian usually delivers? WHY?

Severian Silk

Maybe we should get together and track down the game's source code. Anyone up for it?

Modron

Arcane
Maybe we should get together and track down the game's source code. Anyone up for it?

Said this in other thread, the source code is probably either lost or contains licensed shit they cannot release. I mean zero-sum had been basically shuttered for a couple of years when that one developer said he would post the source in a couple days and even if he had it then its been years since he said that as well.

Ninja Edit: Just give roguey some money to do it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Trying to fix a (probably) badly coded C++ (?) project is a exercise in sublime masochism anyway. Even if the source was out there, it would take probably some man-years of weekend hacking to plug all the leaks, corruptions, performance hotspots and outdated apis. Thank gawd for Valgrind, not that it helps without a beastly computer anyway.

Indranys

Savant
The graphics actually have a certain charm to them, but dat perspective... oh gods, why did they have to make a camera that is even worse than what Obsidian usually delivers? WHY?

It's true. The camera is horrible, I can't stand it either.
What a flaw for otherwise a great game.
Am I the only who never got CTDs??
I remember last time I played the game for 5 hours straight without experiencing one CTD.

Severian Silk

Early 3D, problems with camera and Constant CTDs, fairly unique setting and memorable plot; quit after 2nd patch as I am not masochist.
Great thing was, the ending wasn't as "epic" in other games (BG), so a sequel actually seemed pretty reasonable, story-wise.

Esterhaze

Augur
I actually don't remember having crashes being that unbearable, maybe one every 20 minutes or so? Maybe people just have different tolerances for this sort of thing. It reloaded pretty fast so it wasn't the tradegy that was a Europa Barbarorum or EU3 crash.

Such a great rpg though, definitely will redownload. The story was utterly unmemorable (I don't think I could relate a single plot point), but I cant think of a game with a better character or party system, and combat was also great.

Bah

Arcane
Once every 20 minutes or so is bearable? Not by my book. I gave it 4 hours, and after the 12 or so crashes during that time, I uninstalled. Its a shame, because it really did look like it could be interesting.

RPG Guru

Barely Literate
Apparently, the link to this "Prelude to Darkness Version 1.8 Bug Fix" by Fowyr no longer works. Does anyone still have the fix? If yes, can you make it available, at least temporarily, for us to download?

Thanks.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Apparently, the link to this "Prelude to Darkness Version 1.8 Bug Fix" by Fowyr no longer works. Does anyone still have the fix? If yes, can you make it available, at least temporarily, for us to download?

Thanks.
Here's the download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/63bb2e6kikb6deg/ptd18fix4.rar

And here's the original thread:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/small-fixes-for-1-8.79946/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom