Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prelude To Darkness - v1.7 & v1.8 Download Link (Mediafire)

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
In fact, I didn't saw the first link (my bad), just saw Konjad and his V1.7, and knowing there are here & there a lot of infected links for this 1.8, I just wanted to share this link which is fine (no virus).I have to admit I didn't try Konjad version :oops:

xptd

Barely Literate
so far ive crashed the game 1.8 before even putting in stat pts, just clicking to read about them. where is the real final 1.8 version with bugs fixed? i actually went to play this game a few times years ago but the company website links are dead and STILL have never been fixed, so ok its a totally dead game, well i tried it anyway...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
so far ive crashed the game 1.8 before even putting in stat pts, just clicking to read about them. where is the real final 1.8 version with bugs fixed? i actually went to play this game a few times years ago but the company website links are dead and STILL have never been fixed, so ok its a totally dead game, well i tried it anyway...
Play 1.7. It's here for a reason. I guess that no one saw real 1.8 with party forced teleport to tavern and other bugs fixed. :negative:

xptd

Barely Literate
no, 1.7 doesnt work. I tried 1.7 and 1.8. both crashed many times before I could get to the dream battle. I only got passed the dream battle 1 time out of many tries in both, and then crashed. 1.7 I have not been able to get to the dream battle. just freezes one place or another, like talking to the guy who says why he chose the characters. so yeah.

xptd

Barely Literate
right now ive tried 1.7 about 20 more times with your bugfixes and most times it crashes as soon as I click the exec. if not, it crashes when I click on one of the 3 original characters to change them. if I'm lucky it waits to crash till I click to give a background. Once I actually made it to click the begin button, which crashed it. So Ive tried being stubborn, and 1.7 is completely shutting me out. This is one of the more common errors: http://postimg.org/image/5b31ws0ix/

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
right now ive tried 1.7 about 20 more times with your bugfixes and most times it crashes as soon as I click the exec. if not, it crashes when I click on one of the 3 original characters to change them. if I'm lucky it waits to crash till I click to give a background. Once I actually made it to click the begin button, which crashed it. So Ive tried being stubborn, and 1.7 is completely shutting me out. This is one of the more common errors: http://postimg.org/image/5b31ws0ix/
Hm. Probably it can't open one file or another. Check permissions, use compability mode (or how this thingy called), run as administrator, install Win98 or WinXP.
Frankly, under my Win98 it works fine until 15-20 minutes in the game. :lol:

EDIT:
I understand, that my advices not very helpful, but basically experiment! More recent Windows versions fuck up a lot of old programs.

Last edited:

xptd

Barely Literate
i tried compat modes and bunch of stuff. I got to the point i can play to kill the strange creatures in the first battle, but after that when i start fighting the townsfolk after making them call me a thief, it will always crash on any random thing during the battle. I can kill a few of them but its like each time anything at all is to be done there is a 50%+ chance it crashes the game not responding or just offs it to the desktop. The error seems to be that line in the exe file i posted that I keep seeing. If the game could be hacked to fix that line or even to allow saving during combat, it might be playable off and on. At least I could save each time I killed one of them lol not really a way to play though. Someone should open the code or get it released since they've abandoned it anyway.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
i tried compat modes and bunch of stuff. I got to the point i can play to kill the strange creatures in the first battle, but after that when i start fighting the townsfolk after making them call me a thief
Lol why? Start new game, die from strange creatures, save game and just try to explore village or leave it and try to kill lupine nearby.

By the way, be very careful with scrolling, half of my crashes was due to it. You could scroll not by mouse, but by numpad as well, remember it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I wish someone ported this game to a stable engine. The TOEE engine would be great, although I don't think it would be easy, or bug free, even with all the latest engine fixes and improvements.

Modron

Arcane
Probably realized they had too much third party middleware or something to release source code then fearing the codex backlash never came back. Plus this many years later source is probably long gone :negative:.

At least in theory you can complete this game so at least it's not like Blade Runner or something.

Farewell into the night

Thank you so much for this! I',m playing it now, and I like it, this game is <3

Farewell into the night

How'd you get it to not crash every 10 minutes?

To be honest, it crashed once, then I've spend some time on facebook, and tried again with the game and played 2 hours straight with no problems. I don't know how...

Lambach

Arcane
To be honest, it crashed once, then I've spend some time on facebook, and tried again with the game and played 2 hours straight with no problems. I don't know how...

Which version and which OS? I found this straight-up impossible to play on W10, both V1.7 and V1.8. The interface gets all screwy and refuses to respond, freezes and crashes happen every 10 minutes etc.

EDIT: Compatibility mode, naturally, does jack shit.

Farewell into the night

Which version and which OS?

I use my Win 7 PC for it & run as administrator. That's all. No Xp mode, no anything else. Version of the game is 1.7 (downloaded from here), but it says Version 1,5 when entering the game. Didn't tried out 1,8 yet.

curds

Magister
1.7 link seems to be down. Anyone able to re-up somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just so you know, I will keep a copy of the game on my disk and a backup on another for as long as I live (hopefully that's a fairly long time). While I am certain Arcanum or other good RPGs will always be easy to find online in one way or another, PtD has a chance to actually disappear if mediafire links die or other sites that we can upload it to. Therefore I will always make sure there is one *working* link.

If a link ever stops working, let me know and I will reupload. If RPGCodex goes down in 10 years I will keep spreading links otherwise.

Jinn

Arcane
Was v1.7 supposed to be the preferable version to use?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom