Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Predict sales/critical response for PoE 2

How well will PoE2 do?

• T:ToN will look like a success and Obsidian will close (<150,000 copies, <60 on Metacritic)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Badly, but not overwhelmingly so; the IP will be dead. (150,000-400,000 copies, 60-70 on Metacritic)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • It will receive a mediocre reception (400,000-800,000 copies, 70-80 on Metacritic)

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • It will do about as well as the original (800,000-1,500,000 copies, 80-90 on Metacritic)

Votes: 49 55.1%
  • PoE2 will be like D:OS2 (>1,500,000 copies, >90 on Metacritic)

Votes: 20 22.5%

• Total voters

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm pretty sure PoE2 will be stellar. Sales will be amazing and critics will love it. Codex will hate it, anyway.

Bonerbill

Augur
Your poll is kind of limited. I think it will score just as well as PoE, but it will do worse than the first game when it comes to overall sales.

Quillon

Arcane
It'll score about the same and sell better than the original, but I don't think it will sell as good as DOS2; depends on how intuitive they are making gameplay/combat for the "wider audience", AI customization will help there.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Your poll is kind of limited. I think it will score just as well as PoE, but it will do worse than the first game when it comes to overall sales.

If I could make two polls for a single post, I would.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Not yet. I actually just started working on the project again. Have been doing a playthrough for feedback purposes and now I am helping clean up the world map. I may not be on the project for long, but I am between projects at the moment.

I'll take a look at the Codex content, though. Something tells me I will either love it or really regret I ever looked.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am not sure really,the marked is shrinking fast and the buyers are becoming very jaded. Their last game didn't do well,and most of their competitors didn't sell well. On the plus side they have kick starter,nice for marketing. PoE was well received and sold well,D:OS 2 did very well. I would say less copies than PoE and good reception. Still i hope that i am mistaking and the game do very well.....unless it is filled with sjw shit.

frajaq

Erudite
Probably gonna sell a bit less than the first, but it's still gonna be considered a success for Obsidian

Unless they're major franchises, there's good marketing/partnership with Streamers/Youtubers or change developer's hands, sequels don't sell much

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think it will score better but do about the same in sales.

Edit to clarify: I really do think POE2 will be a vastly superior game to POE1 by almost any metric. As far as sales are concerned, I think the nostalgia factor has likely decreased a bit over the past few years, which might impact sales... but I also think some of the changes (like party relationships) will appeal to gamers who might not have considered themselves the target audience for the first game.

Then again, I thought D:OS2 would do worse than the first, so what do I know?

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Triple A like Xcom 2 or Total war Warhammer were considered success at around 1 million sales, and their production costs are almost 5 times more than POE2 ones.

I guess that around 1 million sales can be considered a very good success for Deadfire.

Father Foreskin

Learned
It will be a massive success on playstation. Codex will hate it despite the game actually being slightly above average. The one codexer always defending sawyer will fly to california to lick the crust off sawyers bicycle seat.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It will be a massive success on playstation. Codex will hate it despite the game actually being slightly above average. The one codexer always defending sawyer will fly to california to lick the crust off sawyers bicycle seat.
At least it will be a ok rpg. Tired of replaying old games for 50th time. I welcome any new crpg.

Rev

Arcane
Triple A like Xcom 2 or Total war Warhammer were considered success at around 1 million sales, and their production costs are almost 5 times more than POE2 ones.

I guess that around 1 million sales can be considered a very good success for Deadfire.
XCOM2 and Total War: Warhammer sold more than 1.5 million copies in one year (and XCOM2 has been ported to consoles as well, although I don't think it sold so many copies there) and they also had a higher starting price compared to PoE. But yeah, 1 million copies for PoE2 would be a huge success for Obsidian.

To answer the OP, I think it will have pretty much the same reception the first one got: so a Metascore between 85-90 and about 1 million copies sold in the first year.

laclongquan

Arcane
Ehm, western audience has different response compared to chinese/japanese/korean market. So I guess they hit 500k max.

OBVIOUSLY, the chance for a return success like Fallout 2 compared to F1 is there, but it's been two decades since an upset like that. I am not betting on such chance.

Quillon

Arcane
OBVIOUSLY, the chance for a return success like Fallout 2 compared to F1 is there, but it's been two decades since an upset like that. I am not betting on such chance.

Everyone's assuming like the game's gonna be more of the same but bigger with a different story(in this thread) like it was for the those old games that you couldn't tell the difference via looking at gameplay materials of base game & its sequel. Very apparent graphical upgrade, customizable mobile base(&AI) & its crew, open world navigation, flexible progression etc will please and attract more people in the current---next year IMO.

Beastro

Arcane
Unless it makes a big impression that it's improved upon the "meh" that plagued the first game to lure people back, I don't see it doing better than PoE1.

Shin

Cipher
some people will love it, others will hate it, and yet other will be like meh its alright

its sales will be measured in numbers

imweasel

The ratings will be about the same, but it won't sell as well.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Unless it makes a big impression that it's improved upon the "meh" that plagued the first game to lure people back, I don't see it doing better than PoE1.

I don't think the overall reception I've seen from people who enjoy the IE-ish formula was "meh"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom