Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Predict sales/critical response for D:OS 2

Thread title

• Huge failure R.I.P. Larian

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Worse than D:OS

Votes: 34 16.2%
  • About the same

Votes: 39 18.6%
  • Better than D:OS

Votes: 80 38.1%
  • Overwhelming success! <3

Votes: 49 23.3%

• Total voters

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
AwesomeButton, If you have two computers and use the catechistic and One True Platform (GOG) you can play over LAN, no need for controllers. And if you have the steam version, you can always sail the Seven Seas to get the real one.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No way to have 2 desktop machines and even if I had them, nowhere to put them side by side. The controller is so much cheaper too.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I have a theory.
Swen's hair is a physical manifestation of decline. Just think about it. How many notable video games was Swen making when he had a full thick head of hair? That's right. How about now? Exactly. You could make a graph with Swen's hair on the x axis and his good video games on the y axis and see a very linear inverse correlation between the two. As Swen loses his hair, his power increases.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I have a theory.
Swen's hair is a physical manifestation of decline. Just think about it. How many notable video games was Swen making when he had a full thick head of hair? That's right. How about now? Exactly. You could make a graph with Swen's hair on the x axis and his good video games on the y axis and see a very linear inverse correlation between the two. As Swen loses his hair, his power increases.

Where did you get this idea from?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I have a theory.

Where did you get this idea from?
It came from the depths of my mind.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I guess the press will give it better reviews for better writing and story (there is already more story in the first act, than in all of Part 1), but I also think it will sell more because:

- The origins and races. Expands the replayability and the Red Prince already got more positive reception than ... any character from D:OS 1 ^^.

- Game Master Mode, for people who loved NWN or D&D, but don't have the time for GMing anymore or who want to get in the experience, but don't care to read 400 pages of rules or buy books fo 200$.

- Even more possibilities for MP. Even if people didn't like the story, everyone I have talked about the game loved the MP-Aspects and is fond of it. And with 4 persons and more races to play, it should be a good game for parties (see Game Master). We really shouldn't underestimate the social aspect.

- Already more coverage than the first game.

- No big RPG like Dragon Age or the new Pillars coming out this year, so maybe fans of those games will give it a try?

- They play to your weird fetishes (bestiality, necrophilia, cannibalism, broody guys and posessed women)?

I guess it will sell at least two millions, if the gods of gaming don't hate them. If we can believe steamspy, it sold over 1.3 Millions on steam and did good on GOG and on consoles as well.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
- Even more possibilities for MP. Even if people didn't like the story, everyone I have talked about the game loved the MP-Aspects and is fond of it. And with 4 persons and more races to play, it should be a good game for parties (see Game Master). We really shouldn't underestimate the social aspect.
I can't wait for the normative Codex D:OS 2 let's play. :lol:

fetishes .. posessed women
Is posessed women a fetish? You mean there are other kinds?

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
Its a sequel of more of the same. I couldnt even finish the grind in part 1.
Dont know if Im ready for more already and I pirated Early Access when it came out.
It looked prettier and questier but people dont buy that way.

Chamezero

between 2/3 and 3/4 of what the first one sold, same with poe2

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I don't think race is a deal-maker/breaker for that many people.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think it will almost certainly sell less than D:OS. Whether it gets better reviews or not really (imo) depends less on the campaign/story (since most reviewers won't finish it anyway) and more on how the competitive co-op multiplayer and/or DM aspects work out, since that seems to be what so much of the pre-release media discourse has been about.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
since that seems to be what so much of the pre-release media discourse has been about

Because the first is a feature that distinguishes from other RPGs, and the second is the same but is also a new feature.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
since that seems to be what so much of the pre-release media discourse has been about

Because the first is a feature that distinguishes from other RPGs, and the second is the same but is also a new feature.

Yep! I'm not questioning why those areas are being focused on... just saying that I expect the same people who write the previews will do the reviews and they'll likely therefore focus heavily on the same pieces.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom