Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Predict sales/critical response for D:OS 2

Thread title

• Huge failure R.I.P. Larian

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Worse than D:OS

Votes: 34 16.2%
  • About the same

Votes: 39 18.6%
  • Better than D:OS

Votes: 80 38.1%
  • Overwhelming success! <3

Votes: 49 23.3%

• Total voters

Zanzoken

Arcane
I say journos will heap on the praise but players will be less enthusiastic than last time.

- The main new feature -- Origin stories -- is a massive decline. D:OS core audience is a bit more monocled and doesn't want to RP a pre-written Chosen One or hang out with Bioware imaginary friends.
- Larian will wish they spent more time building on the strengths of the first game -- reactivity, exploration, and co-op -- and improving the writing.
- New GM and PvP modes will barely move the needle, nor will mod tools. Sequel fatigue is also a factor.

The game will not be bad necessarily but it will be as flawed as the original, if not more so -- definitely not the sequel we wanted.

(hopefully I will be proven wrong)

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I hope I'm proven wrong and it's better but EE left the sour taste of decline in my mouth from the voice acting, "balancing", and quest markers. I loved D:OS and I think as far as gameplay goes, it's pretty concretely going to be an improvement since they have added to the mechanics, but the rest of the game as one package could lead to disappointment, with the multiplayer (muh PVP) and story focus.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It depends. With decent coverage and word of mouth, this could do fairly well. It does release at a time of year that might not benefit the game, though. I'm guessing that it will do about the same as the previous game. Don't know how the reception will be. I don't have a guess either way.

TC Jr

Scholar
Reckon it'll be about the same. "Good for what it is" sort of vibe, doubt the story/writing will be improved and tbh I hope they don't go the serious route cause the writing was bad enough even with the campiness.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
D:OS core audience is a bit more monocled and doesn't want to RP a pre-written Chosen One or hang out with Bioware imaginary friends.

rating_citation.png

Larian will wish they spent more time... improving the writing.

How much do you know about this game's development?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I just discovered that Divinity OS EE removed skill book respawning, thus additional 5000 for few skill point once in a blue moon is not available. Considering it made some doable but hard fight harder just for sake of difficulty. They messed stuff a bit. Yes EE is more fleshed out and there are details where previously was just an empty space and text description, but...

Kinda wonder if they will not screw up with all these polymorph stuff in Divinity OS 2.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Critical success, less sells.

I am under the impression that a lot of new players that initially got interested in 'these kind of games' (ye olde skuul RPGs) realized its not really their cup of tea afterall. And some veterans perhaps realized its not as fun to them as it used to be or they simply ain't got the time anymore. Hence the diminished returns of second wave renaissance games.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Infinitron

I know you get triggered anytime someone on the site criticizes a major RPG, but "citation needed" is pretty stupid in what is obviously a speculation/opinion thread.

As far as development goes, clearly a lot of time and resources have been put into the Origin stories -- resources that IMO could've been spent on more interesting content. I mean they have Avellone and his primary job is to write the Undead origin, right?

:neveraskedforthis:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't expect too much. DOS had an awesome combat engine and nice GFX.... but that's about it. Character development was poorly thought out, itemization MMO tier inspired, the setting and story was very generic, poor and 4th wall breaking.

Severian Silk

Larian can't write compelling stories. Level design sucks. Combat engine is okay tho.

Underrail, Shadowruns and AoD remain the only recent RPGs I wasn't underwhelmed by.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrettyDeadman

I say journos will heap on the praise but players will be less enthusiastic than last time.

- The main new feature -- Origin stories -- is a massive decline. D:OS core audience is a bit more monocled and doesn't want to RP a pre-written Chosen One or hang out with Bioware imaginary friends.
- Larian will wish they spent more time building on the strengths of the first game -- reactivity, exploration, and co-op -- and improving the writing.
- New GM and PvP modes will barely move the needle, nor will mod tools. Sequel fatigue is also a factor.

The game will not be bad necessarily but it will be as flawed as the original, if not more so -- definitely not the sequel we wanted.

(hopefully I will be proven wrong)
Wrong.
1) Origin stories
Cool feature, best part of dragon age origins and a good thing on it's own.
2) Writing was good in the original (a lot better than POE or Tyrany), will be even better since Chris Avellone is helping them & they hired more people to do that. still won't be as good as AOD from narrative standpoint, but for me AOD eclipses the best of the so it's pointless to even compare them.
3) Insignificant.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
2) Writing was good in the original (a lot better than POE or Tyrany), will be even better since Chris Avellone is helping them & they hired more people to do that. still won't be as good as AOD from narrative standpoint, but for me AOD eclipses the best of the so it's pointless to even compare them.
multitudo canum mors est leporum
I doubt all these writers would help story and writing style consistency.

passerby

Arcane
I predict total units sold will be less, but there'll be more month one, full price purchases and generated income will be roughly the same.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
D:OS was great for me so this is a day one full price purchase. I wouldn't mind another game like Divinity 2 either, but with more quickslots and all keys rebindable.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It will have piss poor exploration due to randomly generated items. The writing won't be better, it will just have more words. Fun combat. Fairly long probably. That's it. Kinda like D:OS1, but with higher production values.

Quillon

Arcane
At least it won't have the second mandatory player character which stopped me from slogging through the first game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Whether it's going to sell well only time will tell. The same applies to PoE2. I have no idea why both PoE and DO:S were so popular, but I think whatever curiosity most people had with "old-school" RPGs is gone, so this new batch will prove whether they are commercially viable for middling devs like Obsidian and Larian or if they are doomed to suffer the ravages and relentlessness of time, being relegated to museum exhibits, cyberarchaeology and small studios unwilling to let go.

Quillon

Arcane
Wondering how critics will respond this time around, don't know about DOS but they were too generous for pillows. For the same results, games will have to be much better.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I think we all will be pleasently surprised by the second wave of crpgs of our bigger developers. Will they sell as much/even more though? I dont know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom