Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Precinct - Police Quest spiritual successor by Jim Walls

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Good point about Codename Iceman, Aeschylus :)

Name

Cipher
Only 10 days left and still <20%, and they are delaying an announcement that's supposed to make things different.
They should come back with a small budget and use AGS engine to make a proper classic style adventure.
Then again that job won't feed all of their families.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Jim Walls should just record himself some sweet ideas in mp3 format and we'll all listen to those and call it a day.

Stabwound

Arcane
XToSxHe.png

:smug:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh, but they're continuing to raise funding on their own.... without really changing a thing.

Honestly, this campaign has been a big fucking mess.

Bt

buzz

Arcane
:( it kinda saddens me. When I was a kid Police Quest was my favorite out of the Sierra games, it sucks that everyone else but this guy didn't get a shot at making a new game.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can pledge $1 or $100,000 -- support the project as much or as little as you would like. Whatever you choose to pledge, you will receive a DRM free copy of the game when it ships.
Our campaign has four funding milestones; $25K, $90K, $250K, $400K. At $25K we will begin building a playable prototype, which will be freely released to all backers. $90K will allow us to build a vertical slice. When we reach $250K we will begin building the game demo and at $400K we will build the full game.

Pretty awful new funding structure... Seems like the "playable prototype" might happen, but I don't really see where any momentum could come from. Maybe they could have tried to turn what they showed in their KS video into a ten-minute demo or something, and tried to relaunch with that.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, the new campaign is even worse than the kickstarter one. What better way to encourage people to donate than to say you probably won't get anything for it for a long time, if at all.

Jim Walls just doesn't have the "star power" that the other Sierra people have, and the PQ adventure games were probably the least-popular of the Sierra adventures, and what little recognition he does have isn't going to help him fund a popamole first person shooter. He might have gotten away with a retro-style adventure game, but certainly not something cloning whatever shitty console games he's watched his grandkids play lately.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
$1 for a DRM free copy? What is this, crowdfunding via Humble Bundle?

Kz3r0

Arcane
$1 for a DRM free copy? What is this, crowdfunding via Humble Bundle?
He should have put some kind of threshold of at least five dollars, this way really seems begging more than crowdfunding.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I enjoyed Police Quest 3... but I only played it once and I've never felt the urge to play it again. Too '90s soap opera for me.

I liked the series a lot, but the more I think about it, I don't think I want more games like them anyway. 1 has an irreplaceable early Sierra charm, and 2 just came out at the right time. 3+ are too realistic and honestly pretty depressing.

The VGA remake for 1 -- did anybody actually enjoy that? It's so... cold.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
By the way, Jim Walls has a pretty bad non-Sierra track record anyway.

Anybody play Blue Force? I think I quit sometime after the boat scene early on, but it wasn't very good. It was mostly just... sad. Like it made me sad.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
goddamned cluster fuck of tom-fuckery. Who organized this Kickstarter? Did they not look at others? Did they not go out the forums where their fans might lurk and see what they think? $30 for a digital copy? I can get a digital blowjob for $30, thank you.

Considering that you make your living just as he used to, and may yet again, you sure fail to show even a semblance of (professional) empathy..congratulations..most especially since unlike morons such as yourself, there are others who still think of KS 5 dollar pledges as pointless, and mind not pre-ordering a game for 30 bucks, rather than the 45-60 when it's officially out. But hey, if the Indie developer of obscure games only the Codex is aware of says it's a clusterfuck, it must be amiright bro..

Remember this when sometime from now, someone does it to you; just out of spite ^^

Your ethics and the Codexian personality attributes need not necessarily be on a par you know. Get off your high horse and re-acquaint yourself with humility. All you have done is make small change compared to what his games have sold. Just a little reminder. That humility thing we hinted on before, you know.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Thanks for the education Maiandros. Still, I'm just frustrated because that campaign was badly managed, and I would have liked to have seen an adventure game from Jim Walls and crew.

Still, my Kickstarter was successfully funded, and theirs wasn't even remotely close to. Sure, I might just be some indie developer that only Codex is aware of, but I've run a successful Kickstarter, and I'm making a really great damn game. I had empathy - I was one of the many who offered helpful suggestions and insights into things, and I was met by a barrage of double-speak "We've heard you, and we're doing stuff" that ended up meaning shit. So, yeah, I have an opinion, and that is decidedly disappointed. Does it matter to anyone else other than me? It might, but I don't care - I know, however, that many share my disappointment and frustration about this.

Believe me, I have plenty of humility, but thanks for being the White Knight to ride in here and protect Jim Wall's Precinct from a Dark Lord such as myself.

Bt

buzz

Arcane
I agree with Maiandros, especially since the lowest pledge is for most of the time not the big money maker (on the other hand, it's a bit better for them if they receive more cash from the lowest tiers since they have to worry less about the rewards). In the case of Quest for Infamy, you've only got $10k from the people who got the minimum pledge, not even half of what you've asked for initially.

I hate how kickstarter turned into the exact same bureaucratic thing that everyone initially rejected and hated. People forget how the whole crowd-funding thing was a hippie/hipster thing where someone comes in a video, tells the world about his visions and dreams and asks them to support that dream. It's basically a place where we pay so that someone else can become big. The rewards always came as an optional thing, the big reward a kickstarter user got was making the world a better place by helping the indies. Cheesy, but that's more or less the truth.

So it is sad when (at least with the video games, the other sections still work like before most of the time) kickstarters are now "campaigns", where you have to be funny and quirky about sticking it to the man, or coming with tangible concepts, setting the right prices, stretch goals, the whole shebang. You have to keep the backers updated, they will put you down and scrutinize you for failing or if your product is not the pipe dream that you initially promised. It's the same as before, except now you don't have to satisfy businessmen who may know their shit (then again, you look at gaming and you question their abilities) but an opinionated, nostalgic and highly critical crowd with deep pockets.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Oh, yeah, because Robert Lindsley and Jim Walls are some dreaming, hungry young indies who've never had a chance to make their game and show their dream. Honestly, smaller indie campaigns with lower goals and more realistic expectations are having a fine time on Kickstarter. It's larger projects that are asking for half a million dollars that are having a harder time.

Bt

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
@Blackthorne is 100% right. Don't let the alts get you down, man. :bro: Being an indie does not mean you get to be incompetent.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I hate how kickstarter turned into the exact same bureaucratic thing that everyone initially rejected and hated. People forget how the whole crowd-funding thing was a hippie/hipster thing where someone comes in a video, tells the world about his visions and dreams and asks them to support that dream. It's basically a place where we pay so that someone else can become big. The rewards always came as an optional thing, the big reward a kickstarter user got was making the world a better place by helping the indies. Cheesy, but that's more or less the truth.
It still works that way:
susan.jpg

buzz

Arcane
@Blackthorne Of course not! I mean, if anything, the big projects starting with Double Fine are what brought the whole problem into the first place. And honestly, if you look from that perspective, Jim Walls is not any worse than Tim Schafer or Jane Jensen or Peter fucking Molyneux. If anything, he or guys like Scott Murphy deserve it a bit more because unlike those guys, they actually were rather insignificant in the industry, they didn't have their second chances before.

I'm just saying that it's wrong to complain about how high is the tier for getting the game because the point of kickstarter is not about getting the game, it's not a elaborate preorder as someone said in here. I've backed most of the big gaming projects from kickstarter and indiegogo, but for few of them I got the tier with the actual game.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Oh, yeah, because Robert Lindsley and Jim Walls are some dreaming, hungry young indies who've never had a chance to make their game and show their dream.
I call this the Guido Syndrome, old timers jumping on the bandwagon for the money and hoping to rise straight in the AAA+ gaming industry with popamole concepts thanks to nostalgic gamers.

By the wy guys don't piss off Blackthorne, he will probably deliver the best Sierra-like game of the bunch.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
By the wy guys don't piss off Blackthorne, he will probably deliver the best Sierra-like game of the bunch.

Yeah, we'll see what comes out after all his blah blah blah i make games with less money than the sierra people blah blah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom