Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Precinct - Police Quest spiritual successor by Jim Walls

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/precinctgame/precinct

3e3ebabcd25773c027dffe951c10f3e2_large.png

Precinct is a new police adventure video game from Jim Walls, creator of the classic Sierra series “Police Quest”.

Precinct takes players on a police adventure as officer Maxwell Jones in the corrupt town of Fraser Canyon, CA. Starting out as a rookie and then moving up the ranks, players face adrenaline charged scenarios and conduct real police procedures while solving crimes and arresting perpetrators.

Written by Jim Walls and some of today's brightest Hollywood talent, Precinct features a gripping crime story based on true accounts of real police cases. As players clean up the crime ridden streets, the plot thickens with corrupt cops, greedy public officials, and a deadly struggle for control of Fraser Canyon's criminal underground.

Playing in the first person perspective, Precinct's real-time 3D environments and gameplay deliver significant realism to the classic police adventure style Jim is famous for creating. Along with staple elements such as adventure and puzzles, players also encounter intense fast action gameplay sequences that include shootouts, high speed car chases, investigations, foot pursuits, hand-to-hand combat, and more.

Jim is leading an effort to successfully combine original Sierra-style adventure with modern video game technology. The Precinct team is poised to redefine the cop-game genre by making a game that both classic and modern gamers can enjoy.

Precinct is planned to be an episodic series released as digital download for PC and Mac with distribution across platforms such as Steam and our own website. If our stretch goals are met, we will be able to release Precinct on additional platforms (more about stretch goals below).

Minimum pledge level is kinda high. Also it's funny how the pitch has way more images than text.

trustno1code

Prophet
And no boxed version? :x

Those "intense fast action gameplay sequences" might alienate some of the purists. Good thing they've got at least a bit of in-game footage already, even if it's just a short car ride.
eaa3faf15fb540e85638f4977c42cd1b_large.png

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
They need a lot of publicity to get 500k which I can't see happening.

Branm

Learned
They need a lot of publicity to get 500k which I can't see happening.

The $30 for a digital version is gonna really hurt them.... unless that gets lowered cant see this getting funded.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They've corrected themselves on their use of the word "episodic" pretty quickly:
Yes, Kotaku did list it as episodic. When they looked at the Kickstarter page that text was still in there, which is why Luke included it. But again, this is not an episodic game :) It's a 5-game series, ala Police Quest 1, 2, 3.

I'll be surprised if they make it, without relaunching it and aiming lower. I hope they do a bit better than the 1st person/QTE/tablet-level gameplay - Jim gets some points for co-designing Blade Runner, though.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I like the look and concept, sadly i'm not seeing them achieving their goal, would love them to nab a publishing deal for it tho if they can't manage a successful KS, maybe a partnership with telltale, that would fit nicely.

Repressed Homosexual
Will the first person perspective be conductive to puzzle and adventure gameplay? It looks like it will be like Condemned but without the supernatural, with theme park investigations.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Miasmata sucked really bad, it was slow, too aimless, there was too little to do, and other such problems.

Yeah, but the first person mechanics worked fine, it's problems were down to content.

I think the first person adventure genre is regrettably underused, as tuluse points out, Myst is probably the most famous adventure game to date and it was first person. It offers immersion and i love the free look exploration aspect.

If you mix in combat with first person investigation, i had some of the most fun on a console with condemned, great game.

Repressed Homosexual
The pledge video is actually good, the one thing I didn't like was the 24-like intense background music during gameplay, and the fact that the gameplay looked scripted as hell.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is a really terrible pitch video.

Jim Walls has a voice very similar to Hank from King of the Hill. The music at the end was like on some Harley Davidson game. Iti is more "being a part of Sierra family" than Police Quest itself.

It could be interesting, combining adventure aspects of the old games and taking first person view from the later SWAT series. But, as everyone is saying here, 30$ is too much for a digital copy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I actually thought that the $30 figure might make sense - since Sierra adventure games have proven to have a smaller community of people willing to Kickstart them, you need to demand more money from each person. The only question is, do they make up for their smaller numbers with greater dedication?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The pledge video is actually good, the one thing I didn't like was the 24-like intense background music during gameplay, and the fact that the gameplay looked scripted as hell.
The first two minutes is monotone droning on about where some guys grew up and did for a living.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bad pitch all around. Not just poorly presented but also betrays the nostalgia interest with a lot different presentation.

Doomed to fail, sadly.

Stabwound

Arcane
A PQ successor sounds good, but the concept art and pitch sounds like it's half-assed popamole/QTE looking shit. Another Sierra grandpa pops his head out of the woodwork trying to get his piece of the pie.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Yeah... I don't know why he thought Police Quest fans would want an intense, realistic first-person game.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Those "intense fast action gameplay sequences" might alienate some of the purists.
On the contrary, as a purist I expect shitty action gameplay sequences in my PQ. :smug:

Dunno, sounds like a great idea.
To be fair to Walls he had nothing to do with that abomination. Though of Precinct is more Blue Force than PQ1-3 it won't be worth it anyway.

Name

Cipher
minigames like shooting, driving and close quarter combat is never the strong point of jim walls' police quest series.
i fear adding all these at once is over ambitious.
and they have optimistically listed stretch goal at launch?
and planning a five-part series just like the coles?
at least the coles are kind of worried of failing the initial funding goal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom