Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Praetor questline?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I rolled a new hybrid Praetor to see how the story goes as Antida's lapdog. After concluding the events on Teron and murdering Carrinas, I leave for Maadoran. Unlike every single other questline, when I click Maadoran I get the "leaving early" prompt, despite not being early at all. Bug? WAD?

Anyway, I reached Maadoran, talked to the map guy, got summoned by Gaelius and saved his ass from two assassins, while remaining Loyal to Daratan. Journal says it's time to go to Gannezar. WTF? is that IT? There's nothing else to do in Maadoran as Daratan's Praetor?! o.O

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You can do side quests and sight-seeing, but there isn't much for you to do as a praetor. You saved the enemy of your House but refused to serve him. Your choice will have favorable consequences down the road, but it closed many doors for you.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
So I'm guessing this route is more profitable as a turncoat? No thanks, I already played Aurelian praetor in my last game. :D

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You can do nothing and let the assassins kill Gaelius, then fuck with Serenas and help him ruin his House.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
RIIIIIGHT, rolled back my save and let the assassins have their fun and now things are making a lot more sense. I was a naive Praetor, I thought Gaelius would see house Daratan differently after his life was saved by one of their most trusted Praetors. But it seems that letting him die and manipulating his dumb nephew is a MUCH more effective way of furthering m'Lord's agenda. Gotta love the little things this game brings...

Shadenuat

Arcane
You can do nothing and let the assassins kill Gaelius, then fuck with Serenas and help him ruin his House.
I still can't find bloody murder whatever quest with cool text quests. Is it connected to Praetor lines somehow? Since it's about Senna's death, right?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
I still can't find bloody murder whatever quest with cool text quests. Is it connected to Praetor lines somehow? Since it's about Senna's death, right?
Yeah. Read spoiler tag.

As Daratan Praetor you can use Gaelius' murder as an opportunity to make peace between Maadoran and Teron. In order to do that, you need the support of his advisors: Lord Senna, Lady Lorenza and Master Strabos. Strabos wants a tittle, Senna wants nothing and tells you to go fuck yourself and Lorenza...well. She wants Senna dead. That's where you come in.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh makes sense. I just went with Strabos during my pro-Darathan playthrough.

And by the way, Strabos disappeared after I made deal with him, I wish he would get his own villa where we could continue with the jew-plotting.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Your choice will have favorable consequences down the road

I'm guessing
"not getting banned from Maadoran"
is a favorable consequence? Shame since it prevents me from enjoying the new content (challengers + Basil expanded questline).

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Any way to avoid being exiled? I really wished to continue Basil's questline, but choosing either Pavola or Lady Lorenza result in Pavola exiling me from Maadoran. :(

Can I come back after Ganezzar? =/

Tigranes

Arcane
I did Lorenza's dirty bidding, but with enough talking skills and some non-skill based dialogue choices you can avoid being kicked out over it. Don't know if I'll still be kicked out over it later.

Tigranes

Arcane
Wait, so the only options as Daratan Praetor is get Serenas into trouble then get kicked out, or to just tell him not to do it? I'd have thought that I could kill Serenas too. But I guess this weakens Aurelian anyway. Poor Antidas never gets a break, but then every line he spouts shows he'd never hang onto any empire on his own anyway.

Esquilax

Arcane
Wait, so the only options as Daratan Praetor is get Serenas into trouble then get kicked out, or to just tell him not to do it? I'd have thought that I could kill Serenas too. But I guess this weakens Aurelian anyway. Poor Antidas never gets a break, but then every line he spouts shows he'd never hang onto any empire on his own anyway.

There's a cruel irony to Antidas' fate; he believes that he's destined for glory, yet, short of divine intervention from the local Cthulu, failure is inevitable for him.

Nevertheless, I do think it would be interesting to have an option for House Daratan to come out on top provided that (1) You destroy House Aurelian, (2) You've gotten rid of Feng and have Cassius at Antidas' side and (3) you find the flying ship and deliver it to Antidas, as it is one of the "ancient weapons of war" he went on about and he has a mantra for. It would be logical given those circumstances that Cassius' expertise gets the ship up and running in time and gives House Daratan an insurmountable advantage against the Imperial Guard. Of course, such a victory would come at a huge cost of human life, but Antidas' ego would find something noble and romantic about the prospect of a long and brutal war.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Age of Decadence: Morons in charge

hivemind

It would be logical given those circumstances that Cassius' expertise gets the ship up and running in time
I don't think that a history book nerd is really qualified to do what a team of trained engineers would have troubles with. Like you can barely get it flying with 9 lore, imagine what you'd actually need to reactivate the shields and all the other fancy functions.

Antidas also lacks a crew to pilot the ship in combat situations and he doesn't have any way to produce hellfire so the only thing the ship would be able to shoot are normal siege weapon missiles and that wouldn't give him that much of an advantage given that without energy shields the Pax Imperium would probably go down to one or two well aimed catapult black powder bombs.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
But I guess this weakens Aurelian anyway. Poor Antidas never gets a break, but then every line he spouts shows he'd never hang onto any empire on his own anyway.

This. The more I play the Praetor questline, the more I'm convinced that Antidas is a bona fide dumbfuck. Sure, his house was elevated due to heroic deeds and all that, but Antidas himself squandered his forces in a greedy campaign and even if he DOES win Teron and kill Carrinas, he ends up putting himself in the SAME bad position as before: surrounded by armed men he can't trust. Sure, Linos is his friend and benefactor, but for how long? Antidas is not a learning animal. Also, all that talk about "fate" and "destiny" makes me think he isn't any more realistic than Meru. Unlike Meru, however, Antidas has NO ascension plan.

Bottom line: my Praetor should've switched sides. If you're gonna support a Lord, Gaelius is the way to go. Now THAT guy knows what he is doing.

EDIT: by the way, who the fuck is Antidas' heir!? If he has a heart attack, all my work gets wasted?!

Shadenuat

Arcane
Like you can barely get it flying with 9 lore, imagine what you'd actually need to reactivate the shields and all the other fancy functions.
Doesn't matter if he fails, what's important is that player had the logical choice to allow him to try and fail. And a vignette about him trying to conquer the world with that thing and crushing somewhere in the desert stranded like legions in Africa and eaten by Ordu cannibals would be glorious.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
:lol:

Nigga please, all the three lords are certified incredible morons.

Lolwut? Have you played the Aurelian Praetor questline? I managed to REK both Crassus and IG. Gaelius becomes emperor and rules unopposed. No alliances, nothing. Only a sad and butthurt Antidas on the side, dreaming of a future that never was and never will be. I don't think fearing magic makes him a moron, quite the contrary. Antidas would repeat the Magi's mistakes all over again, given the chance. Gaelius is the best hope the world of AoD has, IMO.

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't think that a history book nerd is really qualified to do what a team of trained engineers would have troubles with. Like you can barely get it flying with 9 lore, imagine what you'd actually need to reactivate the shields and all the other fancy functions.

Antidas also lacks a crew to pilot the ship in combat situations and he doesn't have any way to produce hellfire so the only thing the ship would be able to shoot are normal siege weapon missiles and that wouldn't give him that much of an advantage given that without energy shields the Pax Imperium would probably go down to one or two well aimed catapult black powder bombs.

Well, from the description, Cassius seems like a brilliant scholar whose talents are wasted in a place like Teron. Given enough time, I think he could fix the ship and restore at least some of the Pax Imperium's functionality. As for a crew, the ship IIRC has a capacity of 50 "sailors", with one being the captain who directs it. Since you are the one who fixed it and flew it back, why not the PC? As for the rest of the crew, Antidas may not have a whole lot of men, but he surely has 50.

The concern about the lack of a source of Hellfyre is a valid one that I didn't think of, however.

Also, if you have Antidas' mantra from the palace, the lore check required is 7, which is far more manageable.

Lolwut? Have you played the Aurelian Praetor questline? I managed to REK both Crassus and IG. Gaelius becomes emperor and rules unopposed. No alliances, nothing. Only a sad and butthurt Antidas on the side, dreaming of a future that never was and never will be. I don't think fearing magic makes him a moron, quite the contrary. Antidas would repeat the Magi's mistakes all over again, given the chance. Gaelius is the best hope the world of AoD has, IMO.

Gaelius is an enlightened despot. The one glaring issue with House Aurelian is the matter of succession - his only heir is an idiot fuck-up who is easily manipulated. Other than that, Gaelius is a p. cool dude.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom