Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Potential in streaming through the RPGCodex top 50

thepedestrian

Barely Literate
Hi, firstly I don't know if this is where this belongs. If it is then that's awesome.

I'm thinking about starting a stream where I play through the RPG Codex's top 50 games. I have a decently high quality to my stream and have a schedule I could follow regularly without intervening in my personal life. The problem is I would like to garner followers and people to interact along with the game. Perhaps people who have played these games before and want to help as I try at these games blind. Should I play the games that people know first like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Divinity, or my personal favorite Dark Souls or should I play through them true to the list (50 - 1)?

If it is a game like Pools of Radiance, Baldur's Gate, or Icewind Dale do you think I would be able to put these under the D&D tab for higher potential in viewership on Twitch?

Next I noticed some games have prequels appear higher than their sequel. Should I play through these games true to the list or perhaps put the games/series average as the point I play them on the list?

Alright and if you have any recommendations please feel free to share them.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not sure people here are patient/dedicated enough to watch that kind of stream, tbh.

If you already had an established audience on Twitch, then streaming through the top 50 would be cool, since it would make more people interested in those games. But I don't think you can get enough Codexers to actively participate. Too many have already played these games too many times or don't care about video game streaming in general. Just my $0.01, of course.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'd be all over it if you LP'd them here, but I hate watching video streams of anything.

If you're actually wanting Internet People to subscribe to your thing or something I'd presume that Twitch is the answer.

thepedestrian

Barely Literate
I was thinking about doing them in conjunction. Streaming the game while keeping a program on the side that would store screenshots to upload here

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think RPGCodex is not particularly interested in actively watching streams. I think most people here are grognards in their mid-20 or past that. Not a lot of time to watch people play games (the screenshots are in high demand partly because people read the LPs at work). Also, they come from a variety of time zones, so it would be hard to gather a lot of people in one place. A lot of different preferences, too, further dividing them.

You are welcome to try by all means, but I do not see this working very well.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
No thanks.
Streams are for kids that have large chunks of free time to waste (lead to more unemployed/low wage fast food or retail workers).
It will take some time before anything happen in most games. Backtracking, seeing same screen ofter...
Screens are more consistent. You only choose the good one to upload, add text and that's it.
Sure, videos are easier to record, just push Play, upload on YT and you're done. Good riddance with hordes of uploaders on YT and similair.

thepedestrian

Barely Literate
Yeah I'm seeing that this just doesn't seem to be the correct community to stream towards. I saw it as an interesting concept to try to garner a following while playing cRPGs in hopes I would hit a niche. Be kind of that guy you would refer to if you were looking for content of old school RPGs. Though it seems that niche has so little time to play their own games they wouldn't care to watch others play them.

Well thanks for the info guys have fun grinding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom