Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
That part in Planescape when you talk with the Pillar of skulls and you decide to give them poor Morte,man it was hearbreaking,good thing you could take him back after you get the information.

Gozma

Arcane
Invoking a saint to save unbaptized infants from being cooked in a stew at the High Sabbat, instead floating away to be raised by kind Christian parents. Fucking Satanists, am I right folks?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Skara Brae in The Black Gate. Total headfuck, as was most of Ultima 7. I feel that I've said this before, but it needs reiterating until everyone is indoctrinated into the cult of Ultima.
Not a RPG, but Bioforge was one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. I love the story.
Seeing Bishop's fate in Mask of the Betrayer. It certainly made me more careful about my alignment IRL.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
I just remembered my seafaring adventure in Fate - Gates of Dawn; you start in some fantasy-parallel-world america; so what did I do ? when I got the money for a ship I travelled east over the sea to search for true civilisation^^ (I larped that my Winwood was 1/16 german^^). So I set sail and travelled east. At first I found a few Isles full of nude women (Fairys and Nymphs, wich are very rare on the mainland; you could even recruit some, they are the best healers in the game) but of course I travelled further east. There even was another continent in the east, unfortunatley there was a insurmountable mountain range over the whole coast :( but I found a few nice treasure chests in the canyons as consolation prize^^
Also:
- Travelling in ROA 1; I replayed Blade of Destiny recently after I bought it again at GoG Summer Sale.
- Durlag's Tower in BG 1; still one of the best Dungeons
- Ocean House in Bloodlines ofc.
- the whole Dungoen in Dungeon Master; man, that game was great
- Multiplayer in NWN 1; sometimes we had a Group of Five in my homeLAN^^; right now I remember when we were exploring some strange warehouse in Shadowlords (IIRC) while suddenly our Alignment dropped extrem on the Good/Evil-Axis and one of my friends, who didn't follow us into the warehouse, yelling "Yay, you can kill Children here!"; I also remember another Game where we didn't had a Thief in our Group but wich was very Trap heavy - I had to use my Hellhound Familiar to trigger all the Traps; first Time I had Pity for a creature summoned from the nine Hells ^^ (don't try this in PnP^^).

Kalasanty11

Learned
Getting permabanned from Vault City because that stupid bitch Lynette didn't want to listen. All quests from Vault City blocked, citizens randomly attacking you at sight... but damn, didn't it feel rewarding to wipe out these douchebags afterwards - hearing Ron Perlman telling you that "the slaughter of Vault City has become the stuff of legend" :smug:

I doubt nowadays there are games willing to punish you so much for not paying attention to the dialogues.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Wizard's Crown - I played Wizard's Crown on my C64. I started over several times as I learned how to play the game and as I carefully iterated over my party composition/

Then I met the Golems. A party of Golems could easily wipe out my party. I eventually discovered the dungeon with the Golem Staff in it - a weapon that can insta-kill a golem 90% of the time, but you only get one!

(Resetting the dungeon and cheating to get multiple golem staves didn't even occur to me at that age)

With only a single golem staff, I would still frequently lose battles against golems as the staff doesn't protect you, it only helps you kill them.

I remember stopping my play through and thinking about the problem. I decided to start over again - but I would dedicate one of my melee characters to being a golem killer. I picked what I thought would be the best, most damaging weapon in the game versus the golems, a maul, if I remember correctly. I then spent every XP that that character earned on Strength and Life - and I grinded for him. He had the best armor I could afford.

Now it was time to fight the golems again. This character's whole purpose was to stride into the middle of the battlefield and attract the golems, while everyone else - including my fighter with the golem staff - would focus fire the golems down. All he had to do was be able to hit and take hits.

It was a mostly successful tactic and looking back on it now, it was probably my first concept of actual tanking. Before that I always knew that fighters stood in front of casters and ranged attackers, but this was a deliberate tactical decision on my part to actively lure enemies to him.

Of course later in the game I would meet creatures worse than golems...

X-Com (The original one) - I may have talked about this before, but I actually beat the orginal X-Com without discovering Psionics. I had started the game using rocket launchers and heavy cannons, so I tended to blow right through the little grey sectoids. They stopped showing up pretty early for me and I never gave it another thought.

Well, close to the "end"of the game, you discover the option to invade Cidonia on Mars. It adds a button to do that to your strategic view. The terror attacks and other invasions REALLY pick up the pace too and finally I realized the game was trying to force me to go to Cidonia (in it's own way).

So I hit the button and went to Mars. I saved the game before the battle started - btw, in my youthful naivete, I only had one save slot....

Imagine my surprise when my first dude steps off the Skyranger and gets mind controlled right away. He in turn starts fighting my own guys.

I shoot some aliens but it all goes down hill very, very rapidly.

I notice that ONE of my dudes, Marijuana Man (naming your own dudes in X-Com was the best) seems to be immune to the mind control attack. The game didn't have super good feedback, but I would hear the noise, see the focus on Marijuana Man, see a little effect, but nothing would happen. I manage to get Marijuana Man and ONLY Marijuana Man to the green elevator to start the second part of the mission.

Everyone else died or was dying.

The next mission starts and all MM has is a heavy plasma with a few clips left, and a laser pistol (which had unlimited ammo). I drop his medkit since he can't use it on himself anyway and start to explore.

There were even Chryssalids down there, but in the original game they were weak to laser fire... thankfully.

MM gets shot and is wounded (was he bleeding? I don't remember).

I feel like he kills a lot of aliens.

Finally I find a lift that allows me to enter a room. At the back of the room is something that reminds me of the mushroom slices I saw in the original Dungeon Master. I shoot it, and each time a wedge disappears.

After I shoot the last wedge, it fades to black and I get a synopsis about killing the alien brain and defeating the aliens. It is implied that the trip to Mars was a one way trip for the X-Com Agents. I imagined Marijuana Man slumping against a wall, lighting a last joint and waiting for the end - Mission Accomplished.

Several months later my friend from Boston visited and we started talking about X-Com. He cracked open the save game and used a hex editor to look at MM's stats and it turns out that there are two stats for psionics that are hidden away on every character when they are created, Psionic Skill, which can improved, and Psionic Strength, which can NOT be improved. MM had 99 Psionic Strength.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
walked past a forest, heard muffled moans
oh, it's a vampire being butt-raped by a bear.
decided to watch while training a crossbow bolt on the bear.
bear finished, sneak attack crit on the bear.
switched to melee, executed naked vampire with two hander.
fun times.

iLkRehp

Literate
Not so 'fond' - mistyping Veramocor in Ultima IV.

Seeing Ultima VI in the IBM compatible section and not in the Apple section. Became a PC guy THAT day.

Blackmailing my brother for more computer time by holding the location of the fish over his head in Ultima VII.

The twist in KotOR.

Finding my Bard's Tale 1 graph paper maps in a box at my parents house 20 years later.

hivemind

I have another, it actually happened fairly recently(few days ago) and it's kinda autistic maybe but I think it will stick with me for a long time so I might as well share it.

I was playing AoD and made a talker/scholar type of a character. I put all my points into intellect, charisma and perception and completely ignored my combat stats and skills. Now for those of you who never played it, the combat in AoD is fairly hard and unforgiving, certain combat challenges are best ignored even by combat speced characters and so for my guy the idea of engaging in any sort of direct violence was completely off limit.

So I was my non combat stuff, solving political problems, learning about the past from various long lost artifacts and stuff like that.

In my travels and adventures I came across two items.

A hereditary heirloom finely crafted dagger that I was gifted by a merchant for saving him from a bunch of thugs by pretending to be a hardened killer even though I could barely swap a fly.(speech skills OP) The dagger, thanks to the superior craftsmanship, had bonuses to damage and hit chance. It even had a unique icon!

The second item was an exquisite set of armour. Crafted long ago by the finest blacksmiths from the finest steel it was gifted to a promising general who had enough courtesy to leave it in his tomb so I could collect it from there.

Now my character didn't particularly need to wear these items because I could have just talked my way through the game without getting into combat once but since I'm a dress-up fag and by that point in the game my character was employed by the most powerful noble of the area I decided to dress him in the armour and arm him with the dagger. After all heirlooms of old are a more fitting apparel for a knight-diplomat than some gay robes most of the talker NPCs are dressed in.

Then I passed the arena.

The arena is the centerpiece of most of my combat and hybrid runs, it's standard setter: if my build can't kill everyone in there and become the new champion it's not a good build and I usually discard it. But, given that they would get gutted as soon as they stepped in, I never gave it any attention to it on my talker runs, until now.

As I was standing in front of the arena master I realized that my gear might give me the edge in a fight or two and decided to give it a try.

Soon I was standing in front of my first opponent; a thief, or better a would be thief - guy stole some things without the permission of the local thieves guild and ended up having to fight for his life in the arena.

He was dressed in rags and his wiry hands were grasping a generic iron dagger.

And so we fought, the biggest pansy in the world versus a street lowlife. Were we naked he would have killed me in a round or two. But we weren't, I was wearing steel while he was in rotten cloths.

The poor fucker didn't deal any dmg to me, his repeated dagger strikes were completely nulled by my armour. My character was only hitting about 1 in 3 attacks but given the quality of my dagger and the complete lack of protection on the other guy I was slowly killing him.

I'm not sure what this next bit says about my character but; I just started laughing. Like genuinely laughing, not a slight smirk or a short giggle but a real loud laugh that sounded through my flat. I have rarely laughed that much thanks to a single player video game.

It was hilarious, a character with the lowest possible strength, dexterity, and constitution winning a fight. He was weak, clumsy and would probably squeal in pain if you jokingly punched him in the shoulder and yet, the pleb lowlife was soon lying dead at his feet.

I even made a screenshot of the conquest.

rGDdocH.jpg

I died in the next fight because the second guy had a large hammer and, given my low block rating and no helmet, decided to two-shot me by hitting me in the head with the hammer, but whatever, the thief is dead and that's all that matters.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Feeling invincible in Dragon Wars because at one point I was plowing through anything the game could throw at me until I stormed a certain fortification and ended up badly beaten and captured. Then I realized that I had been had, that the game's designer (B. Heineman) lulled me into that false sense of security.

T. Reich

Arcane
Suddenly I remembered another great one: reading the Wasteland paragraph book in all the inappropriate places just after starting the game. Reading the paragraphs about Mars etc, imagining how it would look in the game itself, only to find out during the actual later playthrough that
this particular plot thread is a total fake. It was only a tiny bit disappointing, because the game was awesome anyway.

Beastro

Arcane
Diablo 1 entering the caves the character says "it's hot down here";

Too much baggage!
Too much baggage!
I can't carry anymore!
Too much baggage!
I need to pawn some of this stuff!
Too much baggage!
Too much baggage!
Too much baggage!
I don't have a spell ready!

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
finding yagrum bagarn in that archwizard's basement in morrowind. I was completely fascinated with the dwemer lore and, suddenly, here's a living relic of the past ready to teach me their mysteries...!

and that's when bethesda blueballed me with a painfully short dialog tree and no way to get anything else out of him.

lefthandblack

Arcane
Making the wookie kill his best friend, the Twilek chick in Kotor. Making the thugs give you all of their shit and jump to their death in Kotor II.

#justdarksidethings

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I have another, it actually happened fairly recently(few days ago) and it's kinda autistic maybe but I think it will stick with me for a long time so I might as well share it.

The poor fucker didn't deal any dmg to me, his repeated dagger strikes were completely nulled by my armour. My character was only hitting about 1 in 3 attacks but given the quality of my dagger and the complete lack of protection on the other guy I was slowly killing him.

I'm not sure what this next bit says about my character but; I just started laughing. Like genuinely laughing, not a slight smirk or a short giggle but a real loud laugh that sounded through my flat. I have rarely laughed that much thanks to a single player video game.

It was hilarious, a character with the lowest possible strength, dexterity, and constitution winning a fight. He was weak, clumsy and would probably squeal in pain if you jokingly punched him in the shoulder and yet, the pleb lowlife was soon lying dead at his feet.

I even made a screenshot of the conquest.

I died in the next fight because the second guy had a large hammer and, given my low block rating and no helmet, decided to two-shot me by hitting me in the head with the hammer, but whatever, the thief is dead and that's all that matters.

That thief is an extremely poor fuck, like a lure to draw the player saying "Hey, you can do some arena content too!".

No you can't, says the guy with giant trident, Mack the Knife and the rest of gallery of bastards out there. It is actually pretty cool that each enemy at the arena (except for maybe first 2-3) has a personality to remember because they all require different approach (or at least slightly modified).

Also: The Arbiter is OP. My McStabbity McStabber just made short work of the arena wearing just rags and this dagger. So yeah.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Being a kid in 1998...getting up early before school, just to be able to play Fallout 2 for 20 or 30 minutes...for some reason I loved travelling with the caravans (although it was buggy as hell)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom