Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Lhynn

Arcane
My most recent fond memory must have been facing the guardian to the last floor in ToME4. It was one of the most mentally taxing fights ive had in any game, every turn took a while of serious consideration, and coming up with a winning strategy was glorious.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Bloodlines : The Ocean Hotel, the Asylum (Looking for the Malkavian Primarch).

New Vegas : Vault 11. Dead Money, all of it.

Deus Ex : Finally unlocking THAT door

eXalted

Arcane
A Dance with Rogues - Neverwinter Nights Module

Seriously almost every scene in the module averts a cliche in some way.

baturinsky

Arcane
BG: While at an Inn at Beregost Jaheira pisses off Xzar and all four end up killing themselves. It was my first play-through so I was like "the fuck?".
Speaking of that. My fond memory about BG2 was stopping the fight between Viconia and Keldorn by Maze-ing one of them. Surprisingly, after returning they did not resume fighting and played nice ever since.

Some of mine:

Planescape: Torment: Talking to Ignus, and gradually getting his story, about some great ancient mage, a true master, teaching him the art, and then slowly learning it was one of your past incarnations.

Gothic: Entering the Old Camp for the first time, after getting gang raped by every low level creature in the woods outside, and seeing the realistic looking makeshift walls, the gate with guards, cozy looking huts, the campfires with people sitting around them, NPCs going about with complex routines, I really felt like I was entering a safe place from the dangerous world outside. Very rare for an RPG settlement.

Arcanum: Meeting Nasrudin on that island, after him being treated as some sort of Elf Jesus the entire game.

Fallout: New Vegas: I had a high NCR rep, and high level Legion parties were hunting for me. I was walking around a bend in the road in the north west corner and suddenly walk into 4 Legionnaires armed with Brush Guns and other high level stuff. Out of sheer panic, I drew my trusty Ranger Sequioia Clint Eastwood style, and somehow managed to gun all of them down with exactly 4 headshots (in FPS mode, never used VATs). I had a Project Nevada type mod that lowered everyone's health, which helped with that. Standing over them afterwards felt really cool.

Anachronox: The scene where Sly and the gang are stuck on a floating dead spaceship and try to pass the time playing trivia games. Sly describes a planet to the others and asks them what it is, they don't know, he goes: HAAAA, it's Anachronox you dummies!, the old museum curator and the female scientist look at each other for a while, and go, but you said it starts with a "u". Also when they come to a red light district on some run-down planet, an this old decaying hooker walks by and without breaking a beat she goes, oh hey Sly. One funny game.

Sykar

Arcane
There are far too many but here a few tidbits:

Planescape intro
Deionarras prophecy in PS:T
Meeting Grace in the Brothel for Slaking Intellectual Lusts
Transcendent One dialogue battle
Baldur's Gate 1 killing Sarevok
Baldur's Gate 2 Jan Jansen still my favorite recruitable NPC
Dialogue with Morpheus AI in Deus Ex
Meeting Shodan for the first time in System Shock 2
Fallout 1 dialogue with Harold first time
Fallout 1 killing overseer with 10mm pistol scene at the end. Bastard.
Dialogue with the Master.
Fallout 2 meeting Sulik and Grampy Bone in Klamath
Dialogue with the drill seargent in Navarro in Fallout 2
Fallout 2 killing Lynette after finishing the game. Paybacks a bitch, bitch.
Witcher 1 finding out who killed the crown witness in "Anatomy of a Crime" quest.

MrJohnson

Educated
Fallout 1 English Demo: not knowing any english because non native speaker and like 8 years old - junktown seemed like a dark and brutal place and i got killed pretty quick by messing around.
Fallout 2: getting my first rifle after having a hard time to reach the den on my first playthrough. Then the "reloading"-idle-animation plays, feels good man.

Gothic II: getting first "peasant" armor and not beeing a onehit for every tiny enemy ingame anymore.
Gothic II: finally becoming a fire mage after herding the damn sheep through the whole world.

Arx Fatalis: spending hours to decorate the mage room in the castle with skulls, daggers, books, scrolls, alchemic powders, potions and other general magic stuff.

Jagged Alliance 2: Doing a throwing knife oneshot-kill to the head while in sneak mode.
Jagged Alliance 2: The create your own merc form and it's funny questions.

Albion: I played it when I was very young. Man I remeber how scared I was in the beginning of the game when you get in the cellar and the roof collapses and the wild creatures rush you.

System Shock 2: friggin hybrids talking to you while you hide from them. Also THESE

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts. The entire damn thing is a safari. A scope rifle, and ammo, and the whole valley is my hunting field~
FNV: Dead Money. Playing scavenge is pretty fun, once we figure out the tricks. The ugly looks of the creatures doesnt help~
FNV: Old World Blues. Playing scavenge in hi-tech ruins is pretty fun, once we figure out the tricks. The ugly looks of the creatures doesnt help~
Surprisingly the Lonesome Road is not equal. Finding backstory of MC is not good enough to balance the damn military base feels.
Silent Storm, Allies campaign, where we get the first Heavy machine gun by rummage in recruits' inventory.
Silent Storm, Axis campaign, where we find the base is empty of people... wtf~ But at least we dont have to deal with Axis-cloth people.Or when, at second mission, we have to defend General Bauer against a full scale assault by Allies commandos.
Silent Storm Sentinels, when we find that with lots of money we could have an AK47 at the start. LOTS of money.
Hammer & Sickle, when we accept Conrad quest, but delay fulfilling it to shop at Sigmund. Then nearly before the fateful journey, we off Sigmund to shop at Conrad's, therefore has access to two gun shops in one run.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Montaron killing the captive in the Bandit Camp in Baldur's Gate, courtesy of the BG1 NPC Project. A real WFT?!? moment, but a fond WFT?!? moment.
A friend of mine did something similar when playing pen&paper AD&D, his evil character slitting the throat of a prisoner before the other players could react. Then significant butthurt ensued and he was kicked out of the gaming group, although he just role played his character.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Starting off with a crew of high-WIS doctors who can't hit the broadside of a barn, and turning them into the sharpest snipers in the world by end-game.

Guys that topple from second tiers after being shot.

Shooting off a guy's head with a dragunov and it does 98 dmg.

Blood splurting out the back of a shot victim as they fly backwards.

Hitting a target for 50 dmg and having my bullet ricochet off him and into a second target for 30 dmg.

Inflicting 64 headshot dmg and the guy loses 32 WIS too.

Burst-killing bloodcats.

Sniping at a guy through the (closed) back window of a house, the bullet travels through the house, then out the front (closed) window, shattering glass both times and hitting the target in the front yard.

Knife kills.

Maddog.

Silently taking down blackshirts with an Ambidextrous IMP wielding two MAC-10s.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Betrayal at Krondor, the first time I killed the Brak Nurr, and reading the manual and understanding what it was about.
Gothic, beating the shit out of that Rice Lord whatsisname, the one who asks you to distribute water to the farmers in New Camp.
Fallout demo, finally realizing that I can wipe out all the gangs and not just side with one in Scrapheap.
Morrowind, walking into Ald'Ruhn for the first time and that building!
Gothic 2, chilling out in Khorinis.
Diablo 1, entering the church for the first time.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Baldurs Gate: Doppelgangers of Gorion and Elminster who try to convince you that you're delusional (I really wanted that to be true, actually). Also the end credits when the Soldier of Amn says "Are you looking at me?!", because my five year old was watching it with me and got scared the soldier was talking to him.

Icewind Dale: Finale when the narrator's even, gentle voice begins to grow angry and you realize he's Belhifet - studying the adversaries that ruined his plans.

Planescape: Torment: Morte going on about hooking up with the zombie chics.

VTMB: Walking into the diner in Santa Monica as a Nosferatu and speaking to the cashier. I about fucking died of laughter.

VTMR: Soloing the game with my party members in torpor because I was sick of babysitting them and still having them in the cinematics regardless.

Athos

Arcane
Fallout: killing a Deathclaw on the first encounter without reloading, just my character and his sniper rifle.
It felt like this

kris

Arcane
In fallout, when I arrived at "the glow". Was very atmospheric and spooky. One of my fondest memories from the game.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In fallout, when I arrived at "the glow". Was very atmospheric and spooky. One of my fondest memories from the game.
And then you recognize you didn't bring the rope.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Planet Alcatraz - heal myself with potatoes.
Find heavy armor (you looks like Dalek with legs and arms), wielding heavy machine gun. Walk really slow, then stop and shoot. This is something.

7,62 High Calibre - customised my M-16 with addons (obligatory underbarrel grenade launcher) and camo, put camo on myself, then clean out enemy camp like in Predator.
Marauder - kick assess of kwan army. After playing as a good soldier and kwans in video games - feels refreshing.
Gorasul - when ego of your sword (like Likalior from BG2, but more developed game mechanic around it) broke and can't do anything, bouncing off from enemies.

Boiling Point - Road to Hell - steal random car, fuel with canister found in the car, fix the wheel, drive away while listening to the southamerican local music.
Plus piloting heli without making pilot license. Didn't end well.

Gothic 2 - coming back to the Mine Valley, where previous game have place, and find it in even bigger ruin than it was before. You start wondering "is such thing possible? Looks like it is".

And then you recognize you didn't bring the rope.

And you start losing HP....

Last edited:

Dedup

Augur
Hero's Quest 1 - fighting the bear in the cave only to realize once you beat him that you just killed the Baron's son.

Pool of Radiance - first time fighting the trolls in the slums not realizing that they can get up after you beat one of them.

Baldur's Gate - playing multiplayer online with a friend and giving his character the girdle of masculinity/femininity telling him that it was the girdle of piercing.

Elder Scrolls Arena - going to the dungeon where the key to the staff piece is hidden in a maze and bypassing it by using the skeleton key artifact.

Daggerfall - entering a dungeon at low level and hearing the laugh of a Daedra Lord knowing that if you run into him you're fucked.

Jagged Alliance 2 - clearing a sector at night using only Dimitri with night vision goggles and throwing knives.

Morrowind - seeing a stone face in the distance and traveling to it to find a temple with a big statue. Was surprised when I clicked on the statue and it started talking to me, giving me a quest.

Baldur's Gate 2 - being a little creeped out by Jaheira hitting on my character about two minutes after getting out of the dungeon where she just learned her husband died.

edit (just remembered another one)
Ultima 7 - at the start throwing the bucket of blood on Iolo and having him call the Avatar a foul miscreant. Made me chuckle every time.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom