Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Gondolin

Arcane
Baldur's Gate II - Killing Kangaxx without him turning into a demi-lich (by accident).

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The last one I remember caught me completely off guard: in New Vegas, as I was making my way up to the Legion base at dusk, it felt like approaching the Old Camp in Gothic 1.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of Gothic, getting mugged and robbed as a low-level weakling was awesome and really managed to set the tone for the rest of the game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not an RPG, but a truly chilling moment from Thief: Deadly Shadows that has stayed with me for years:
The asylum. Meeting the ghost of a child desperate to be released, but she's trapped as long as the place itself remembers her. Going through the haunted building trying to destroy all remnants of her memory. Once I've succeeded, I realize that my adventures have given me a history at this place, so now I'm trapped just like she was.

Legion

Last edited:

Lios

Cipher
In my latest Fallout 2 run, some months ago:
Inside Vault 15, trying to clear it from the raiders relatively early (aka having a chance to win with some strategy and an amount of luck, but no power armors, energy weapons etc).
Everything's fine till the last room with the raider boss, his ghoulish dog and some guards of his (two of them if I remember correctly wearing combat armor). I'm playing a charismatic/intelligent sneaky locksmith guy who is also kind of a pussy in combat (again), and of course I use companions, by the way.

Shit got solid of course, and I'm trying to minimize casualties and stop that raider boss from frying my testicles with his flamethrower.
Vic is still some levels away from being actually useful but he's hitting something sometimes. He's also a coward but he wouldn't survive in any other way. Marcus or better Usain Bolt Clockwise is taking his sweet time to catch up to the party, being in the computer rooms to the west and that's better cause we're all kinda bulky and his minigun would rape our team first and foremost and then them. Lenny is always a punching bag but he actually downed the dog with the desert magnum. Even my main character as I said is a pussy so it's all about me kitting and the great bros Sulik and Cassidy to manage those vital first turns of the battle (and Marcus when he'll find a cab and join the battle of course).

So it's Cassidy's turn, he's targetting towards the spot where a wounded Sulik is between a combat armor guard (who he has sledgehammered to hell by the way) and an already worn down raider boss. And this well known and terrifying 1 second pause occurs, the pause that happens every time a burst shot is given birth and before it connects. So I'm like, "Damn, goodbye Sulik" but before I let a manly tear find its way to my mustache as a salute, BAM. Cassidy goes and burst shots the shit outta the two enemies at the same time, meat flying in all directions. And Sulik is intact in the middle.

Now, I may be wrong about this, but I'm positive that after this incident, a whole half minute of silence occured in the room, Cassidy reloaded the pancor jackhammer calmly yet firmly like a beloved and stern father, Sulik saluted him u.s marine style and golden light flooded the atmosphere above their heads.

Roobenator

Novice
Fallout 2, first rpg, was probably 10. My character was a jethead using and abusing everything I got my hands on. I just played on discovering new stuff all the time progressing the game (not the story lol) and my char was a wreck. New reno especially was great as i broke into that arms dealers house through the back door and the dogs attacked so i had to kill the dealer. After that i was set for life! Or so i thought... Jet is a hell of a drug!

randir14

Augur
Playing the Fallout 1 demo and being amazed at the death animations when I killed someone with a minigun.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest: The boss music. It's still one of the best boss tracks ever in any game.

Final Fantasy VIII: Balamb Garden being invaded by Galbadia Garden with l'epic cinematic and overal chaos happening in the gameworld. That really rocked me as a young teen (11, 12 or so).

Lufia II: Killing Gades 1 and thinking I had broken the game because his weapon drop is so strong at that point, and that I was some kind of supreme SNES kid. Oh the internet changed that real fast. Also the ending was my first (and only?) video game crying moment©.

BG1: Wandering around the city of BG and entering all the houses and looting everything. When I first played BG I didn't have a grasp on the mechanics and I gave people items that looked cool over what fit their class/build/stats. It's a miracle I made it too the city at all when I was younger, even though that took ages as well.

BG2: The pirates ilbehind the painting in the inn in the gates district always come up immediately when I think of BG2. Such a minor thing, but alas.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Ultima 7 serpent Isle, arriving at the island and not having a clue what was going on, setting out to explore the most glorious open world crpg ever developed.

Kefka1134

Hmmm..

Morrowind when I first saw the huge wall to the volcano in the middle of a sandstorm with all the crazy weather and was forced to take shelter at the base with the glass armor/weapon merchant salesman.

Also Suikoden 2 just the entire sequence with Flik/Nina and Co. during the Greenhill infiltration where you all pose as university students.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would like to hear more about this.

:desu:
I don't have the game installed right now. I put a lot of points into science, medic and some other crap, perception, intelligence, and charisma. ! point in luck and low endurance, strength and agility. The point is to just talk or sneak your way through a lot of stuff. Sneaking is mostly for side quests. The main story can almost be completely solved via dialog checks. I didn't side with any of the more obvious factions. I also had a lot of characters kill other characters for me. Benny being killed is one such case. You can sneak your way through the entire "Fly Me to the Moon" quest, and another quest involves two of the factions fighting during one quest. Just stay back and watch them kill each other. Some side quests, I couldn't find a non-violent solution for and therefore, I had to skip them.
9DB30DA2F467466A12748E41C11768C48ED9C96E

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Fond memories:

Climbing a ladder in Fallout
Climbing a ladder in Jagged Alliance 2
Climbing a ladder in Deus Ex
Climbing a ladder in Gothic

Having just ramps makes me feel your world is designed for wheelchair accessibility.

Codexlurker

Savant
Deus Ex- Exploring Hell's Kitchen and Hong Kong for the first time.
1.jpg

latest

Morrowind- Visiting the Ghostgate/joining the Imperial Legion at Gnisis/Becoming a Redoran/ tons of stuff really.
ScreenShot%204.jpg

BGII - The music + De'Arnise keep
NWN - Playing the demo and creating a character basically.
Gothic 2 + NotR - Getting one shotted by the assassin in Khorinis and how the social and political structure of the town required you to integrate by picking a trade. The Valley of Mines period, especially the besieged castle.
Diablo 1- The dialogue in Tristram.

Last edited:

rado907

Savant
Morrowind - I fooled around the fishing village at the start, and then left for Balmora. I was walking down the road, and suddenly some guy fell from the sky and splattered in front of me. I searched him, and found a couple of potions. I drank one, and nothing seemed to happen. I continued down the road. I had a habit of skipping as I go, and so I pressed jump.
My character literally jumped into the clouds, crossed a third of the island, and splattered on the ground.
I reloaded. A few minutes later I arrived at Balmora - as good-looking a town as I've ever seen in a computer game. By then I knew I was in for a real treat...

Baldur's Gate - after journeying across the wilderness, I finally entered city proper. And what a city it was!

Baldur's Gate 2 - exploring the initial hub and its surroundings is as good as it gets.

Gothic 3 - when I realized that I could literally conquer every single city on the map.

Fallout 2 - the whole game was composed of memorable moments. I mean, being able to sell Sulik to the slavers... What more can you ask for?

DramaticPopcorn

Fond memories:

Climbing a ladder in Fallout
Climbing a ladder in Jagged Alliance 2
Climbing a ladder in Deus Ex
Climbing a ladder in Gothic

Having just ramps makes me feel your world is designed for wheelchair accessibility.
That's pretty bold coming from NWN lover :troll:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Hah, you got me thar. As an aside, I really liked the ladder mechanics of Crysis & FEAR, but not so much STALKER & Half Life because you just "glide" up and down them.

Melcar

Arcane
Not all are "RPGs" because fuck you...

BG: While at an Inn at Beregost Jaheira pisses off Xzar and all four end up killing themselves. It was my first play-through so I was like "the fuck?".

BG2: Facing Firkraag for the first time.

FO2: Punching a hole through a raider's torso from a critical.

FFVII: Defeating Emerald Weapon with conventional materia and lvl 80 characters.

Thief: The first time I blackjacked a guard.

Mega Man X: Getting the Hadouken special.

Rome Total War: One of my outpost towns in the Greek mainland was been besieged by a huge Spartan army and their Seleucid allies. The siege was broken after I managed to sent a small army led by one of my most inexperienced generals and attacked the Spartan army. Decided to play out the battle and actually won. I was sweating bullets the whole time. It was awesome.

Last edited:

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Encountering a hybrid and further on a psi monkey in the System Shock 2 demo all those years ago. Didn't buy the game on release as I found the demo too scary! :oops: :negative:

Clicking on the skeletal remains of that mutated kangaroo in Fallout 1 while reading the description text and with that the hint of light penetrating the darkness of the cave where the safety of the vault lies and the harsh world of the wasteland is just a map transition away.

Looting a pistol from an enemy when all I had at the start of Fallout 2 was a spear.

Talking to Gar in Arcanum and his fondness for green tea.

Following Ramirez's assassin's through the streets and then to Ramirez's mansion in Thief.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Too many too mention but here's a few that come to mind:

* 99 Beserkers, 99 Beserkers, 99 Beserkers, 99 Beserkers

* Throwing a spear down a corridor in Eye of the Beholder and running after it and finding out if you went fast enough it would hit you. Also discovering you could resurrect bones you picked up to create new party members!

* Discovering that if you got your fire resistance above 100% in IE games, fireballs would heal you!

* In KOTOR having a Wookie with a life debt to you and getting him to kill his best friend cute little ol' Mission. That was the first time a game made me feel truly evil.

* The ambient sounds and music in Kuldahar in IceWind Dale.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom