Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possible Obsidian Pathfinder RPG Survey

Space Insect

Arcane
Oh dear, I forgot to mention that I wanted an RPG set in the wastelands of the Codex.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Out of all those Paizo modules I only tried 2. Most sessions played Kingmaker, and it is pretty awesome. I would love a cRPG based on that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's kind of difficult to describe what exactly Pillars was missing, so I told them "gib me another BGII or PST, FFS!"

Though seriously, why is Pillars less fun than BGII? The combat is sort of tedious, sterile and without surprises. The story is meh, but why exactly? The atmosphere was meh, but again why exactly? Most of the companions were meh, but why exactly? I just know I didn't like it much.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Budget and schedule. They didn't have the chance to polish it like it should have been.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hope all you trannies voted 'more personal story' when they asked about the preferred scale of the story; if there is one thing I am tired of then its rescuing the world.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hope all you trannies voted 'more personal story' when they asked about the preferred scale of the story; if there is one thing I am tired of then its rescuing the world.
On the other hand they implied that would mean my actions only have very limited consequences. And there is nothing I love more than influencing the politics etc.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Yeah I think I voted medium scale stories.

Incidentally PoE had a perfect sense of scale until the last 30 minutes when the finale got way too epic for what had led up to it.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah I think I voted medium scale stories.

Incidentally PoE had a perfect sense of scale until the last 30 minutes when the finale got way too epic for what had led up to it.

I thought the reveal brought down the epicness a bit, even if that's not really true (it only changes motivations after all). After talking to the gods at the council of stars, it is revealed that a god is behind the hollowborn conspiracy and Thaos actions. Leading to the finale, you're trying to stop an exiled goddess from becoming more powerful. But with the reveal, you're back to the state the plot was before reaching the council of stars, which is a conspiracy of a religious zealot to discredit animancy, but now the reasons are explained and change your perspective on a lot of the events from the game or the worldbuilding (the most relevant being the Saints War).

Although the storyline has it's shortcomings in specific points, I believe the structure it follows and how it builds itself up is great, and the ending is what makes everything work, even if it can be argued that they blew the load too early (I don't believe so, personally).

What "unused game worlds" did you guys add in for the comments?
I put in the Incarnations of Immortality series and Battle Angel Alita series.

Also voted for medium-scale story.

On PoE vs. BG2, I could never finish BG 2 as it had zero story compellingness. The more I learned about it, the more I think I may be wrong, but it's dreadful to play through the cutscenes. Still an amazing RPG combat system with a serviceable story. PoE was a way better story with lackluster ability to move my emotions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a survey. If you don't want streamlining then answer it.

The point is that it's pretty uninspiring that they're basically asking 'do you think our games are too complex, would you like us to dumb them down in the future?'

That's not really how the question is framed, but it's not Obsidian's survey, so there is no "our games". We're not sure whose it is, maybe Paizo.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a survey. If you don't want streamlining then answer it.

The point is that it's pretty uninspiring that they're basically asking 'do you think our games are too complex, would you like us to dumb them down in the future?'

That's not really how the question is framed, but it's not Obsidian's survey, so there is no "our games".

Well in my opinion that's the underlying sense of it.

As for the purpose of the survey, it would seem Paradox is testing the waters for a new cRPG by Obsidian, what with all the questions surrounding isometric RPGs and Pathfinder. Tyranny is done, they must be hard at work on something by now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure it's a Paradox survey. The only place it's been linked is on the Obsidian forums. Seems to be a party that doesn't want to officially reveal itself yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
My first thought was that it's Paizo doing preliminary market research. Ie, not necessarily an indication that anybody actually has definite plans to develop/fund the development of a game yet. That's why they're keeping a low profile.

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It felt awkward that the latter part of the survey was so insistent on Pathfinder RPG after basically answering I don't want anything like DnD.

Sizzle

Arcane
The survey keeps crashing for me at the realistic/stylized pictures style part. Will try another browser.

Wrote JoJo Bizzare Adventures in Are there any worlds, tabletop RPGs or franchises that you would like to see made into an Isometric RPG? Which ones?

:)

I advice against choosing 0 or 100 on the slider scale. Those extreme answers could be dismissed by some algorithms they could chose to analyze the results. Rather choose something like 3-5 or 95-98

Neanderthal

Arcane
Fuck me both them Pathfinder art styles were fuckin shit, scale I put personal but wanted to say multi level like Torment or Arcanum, put down Legacy o Kain, both Warhammers, an Thomas Covenant Unbeliever for iso RPG settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom