Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possible Horror RPG With Renovated Grimoire Engine

Would The Grimoire Engine Be A Good Fit For A Retro Horror RPG?

• Incredible Incline Beyond Imagination

Votes: 100 46.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • Will Wait For Humble Bundle

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I'm Still Waiting For The Grimoire Manual

Votes: 31 14.4%
  • I Am A Sex Slaver of Vietnamese Orphans

Votes: 22 10.2%
  • Will Never Be Released

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Hurr Durr I will Pirate It

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters

ColCol

Arcane
Wait, I felt like Cleve posted in the Stygian forum that this game was no longer happening.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
VggZYI8.png

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I love horror movies for example, but I have a hard time if anybody would ask me which was the last time something scared me in a movie. Just throwing in some nice gore won't do it, and honestly I don't know what would.

It takes a stupid person (or a woman) to really get scared by a horror movie. Fear is an instinctual response to perceived danger. If you think a screen is dangerous in any way then you are stupid. No ifs ands or buts about it. It takes suspension of disbelief beyond the normal possible levels to delude yourself into this.

The idea of horror is that it is creepy and then slowly seeps into your soul and becomes disturbing at an instinctive (Id) and philosophical (superego) level. It takes rarely thought about aspects of life that people understand a logical level (the inevitability and finaltude of death) makes you feel experience it emotionally and aesthetically. What people found disturbing about Lovecraft back in the day was that the universe has mystical origins, but the creator(s) are evil and/or morally indifferent. Evil isn't a test of faith that good ultimately triumphs over, but rather evil is the natural mode of existence and hope only exists to prolong and produce more exquisite torment.

Naturally, normal people don't crave that particular aesthetic experience all that much, which is why horror is an unpopular genre.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I will say this and you are free to believe or disbelieve, it's the truth.

I have a very impressive turn-based step-based RPG engine prototype running in Unity now, worked on it for about 18 hours total over the holidays. Just playing around with it. Using PBR for the textures and all props in the dungeon, looks magnificent.

It will almost certainly become the framework for Grimoire II and since all the RPG logic will be ported over, that means this engine will also be used for the horror RPG. I really believe this spinoff could be a winner.

I spent a lot of time retaining the comic book look of Grimoire in the new engine and I am certain it would be doubly impressive with a horror game and proper lighting.

Got tons and tons of assets collected over the years for a horror RPG and they'd all look good in this engine.

P.S. Dialogue system was up and running in about ten minutes with full editing but the console line text entry is out, replaced by the far more reasonable style used by modern games of selecting responses.

Dorateen

Arcane
Whatever else happens with the dialogue system, I would like if keyboard input could still be used for answering passwords, riddles and such. It is a better test of player accumulated knowledge rather than picking options from a multiple choice question list.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

So has the GoFundMe for this started yet?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I really like that you chose to go with the modern tech. We were talking about your next game just a few days ago and I said if he's going with the old engine, it'll take another 18 years. But with Unity, it can be out in 1,5-2. Very nice.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom