Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possible Horror RPG With Renovated Grimoire Engine

Would The Grimoire Engine Be A Good Fit For A Retro Horror RPG?

• Incredible Incline Beyond Imagination

Votes: 100 46.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • Will Wait For Humble Bundle

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I'm Still Waiting For The Grimoire Manual

Votes: 31 14.4%
  • I Am A Sex Slaver of Vietnamese Orphans

Votes: 22 10.2%
  • Will Never Be Released

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Hurr Durr I will Pirate It

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Just thought I'd throw that out there. Shams and I have been discussing reusing the engine since we have been polishing it to perfection on this release and will continue to do so.

We were thinking of moving it to direct color, adjusting perspective and fixing the turns so they were more natural. We think the result could be pretty spectacular if done right and would support both the sequel to Grimoire and at least two other possible games.

The fact is I really like the way the engine plays and the whole game style and would like to try it with another genre.

About 16 years ago I did a city street in the 1920's with the engine using some 2D panels I bought off the Xara site and showed it to Shams, we both thought it looked pretty awesome. I was pitching it to him as a Lovecraft Horror RPG with character library and 1920's setting. I thought it could be really good despite the engine being a graphic dinosaur. Sort of the blobber that never was but somebody should have made years ago.

P.S. A much smaller game in scope, aimed at less than 100 hours. I was suggesting making Miskatonic University the hub of several individual adventures on a master atlas like now with a team assembled from the college and NPCs you meet.

P.P.S. We would not only be going for the colourful magical fantasy realism of Grimoire, we'd probably be exceeding it with garish, livid lighting and lots of comic-book style throughout. I already have some 2D assets I have been sitting on for it.

P.P.P.S. Import of existing characters from Grimoire, of course.

2585311-lovecrft_ifc_03_001.jpg

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Just thought I'd throw that out there. Shams and I have been discussing reusing the engine since we have been polishing it to perfection on this release and will continue to do so.

We were thinking of moving it to direct color, adjusting perspective and fixing the turns so they were more natural. We think the result could be pretty spectacular if done right and would support both the sequel to Grimoire and at least two other possible games.

The fact is I really like the way the engine plays and the whole game style and would like to try it with another genre.

Why not make it a tool set and sell it on Steam, could make you instant money from all the blobber fans who think themselves game designers

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Don't you have a broken, buggy game to fix, a manual to write and box sets with full color maps to ship?

But instead you daydream.

Zep--

Parsifarka

Arcane
When would the development start and how would it affect Grimoire 2 and the implementation of cut features in v2.0? Also, will the party be able to ride squids?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom