Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possibility of Xenosaga remasters incoming

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Bandai Namco trademarks Xenosaga Episode III subtitle Also Sprach Zarathustra in the U.S.
posted on 04.16.18 at 04:38 PM EDT by Sal Romano (@salromano)
trademarked “Also Sprach Zarathustra” in the United States.

“Also Sprach Zarathustra” is the subtitle of Xenosaga Episode III, which released for PlayStation 2 in 2006.

There have not been any recent developments in the Xenosaga series. However, this trademark might indicate Bandai Namco is considering remastering the trilogy.

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/04/bandai-...ch-zarathustra-in-the-u-s#OItZrERqUT7bfpyv.99

Also now you can trademark normal words? What?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played xenosaga1 and gave up after a while. Insufferably slowcombat, with long unskippable battle animation, plus cutscene that makes mgs 4 feel short in comparison.

I like the characters and the story, but seriously what the hell

Max Edge

xenosaga_new_years_by_primantis-d35qptz.jpg

Repressed Homosexual
I think actually the third one was a really good game. First one was too tedious, second one was just a mess.

They realized that no one cares about their tedious moe stories, and just said "fuck it, let's tie it all up Jerry Bruckheimer style." And it worked really, really well.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think you have to trademark something in relation to an activity ; it's therefore possible to trademark this "for a game", I think ?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yep, trademarks are related specifically to identity- other people can use the thing you trademark, they just can't use it to make the same sort of thing you're doing. So you could make a video game called 'band-aid' but not a brand of bandages or ointment or something that might appear near band-aids on a shelf and confuse stupid customers.

Perkel

Arcane
Finished first one and dropped second one in 30-40 hour mark.

Frankly speaking it is shit for several reasons:

- if you think MGS4 had a lot of cutscenes or long cutscenes then it has nothing on Xenosaga, basically every 5 minutes of "gameplay" you get cutscene for minutes, sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes even more.
- "gameplay" is barely there. There are some jrpg fights but they are fucking simple as fuck.
- character design was dumb as fuck back then it is even more dumb now, like literally 7 year old kids everywhere, UGUU retarded anime characters galore, weird voice acting, even shittier animations etc.
- IT IS VEEEEEEEERYYYYYYYYYYYYY SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Pacing is like turtle and nothing happens for most of the first game.

Only thing that keeps you going for this shit is overarching story that seems legit interesting but afte playing first and half of second there is frankly speaking barely any of it.

As someone who loved XenoGears and was hyped about it game is shit. IT is not even a game it is just 3d anime with some gameplay elements and bad one at that. If you want to play it just watch anime.

L'Montes

Educated
There's clashing visual styles across the three games, and sort of scope/direction that seemed to change from 1 to 2, and 2 to 3. It makes them feel more inconsistent than they probably should. I assume a lot of that sort of knowledge is old-hat to series fans at this point though.

(re: http://xenogearsxenosagastudyguide.blogspot.com/p/the-history-of-xenosaga.html)

It's one of those poster child series for troubled development I guess...

"Supposedly previous story I wrote in the first episode did not appeal to the new team's taste. I'm working on freelance basis. If clients say they don't need my work anymore, that's all. No conflicts, no quarrels there were. A number of official comments from the new team mentioned Takahashi and I were marginally involved in the 2nd episode by contributing the first version of the script."
...etc. etc.

Remakes/remasters would be unlikely to fix underlying structural or mechanic issues at this point. The third entry is probably the most competent, but still has an overwhelming feeling of needing to wrap up tons of dangling plot threads in a hurry. It feels like a series that had potential and just went "wrong."

Of course, Gears wasn't the most finished/polished game either. Xenoblade 1 on the Wii is probably their most fully realized game, of the ones I've played at least.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
The only way this coud work is if they ignore the first two PS2 games and instead take Xenosaga I+II for the Nintendo DS and remake it with 3d graphics and an artstyle similar to III. Then add a III remaster to the package. It's too much money for a mostly forgotten franchise and it's not going to happen.

Max Edge

The only way this coud work is if they ignore the first two PS2 games and instead take Xenosaga I+II for the Nintendo DS and remake it with 3d graphics and an artstyle similar to III. Then add a III remaster to the package. It's too much money for a mostly forgotten franchise and it's not going to happen.

On the beginning they planned six games There was many problems with first Xenosaga, they made many changes and cut material. After sale failure they commissioned to made game by new team (with old scenario supervisor, who is chief of company). Second part was much worse and also with cuts. Before they made Xenosaga III, they also create compilation I&II (selling only in Japan, but with good reviews; DS version has many cut scenes from both games).

I hope that they will make something more than typical HD remaster and will use their experience from DS version.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
What kind of world are we living in when a six-game series about giant robots with disassociate personality disorder gets cancelled...

Max Edge

What kind of world are we living in when a six-game series about giant robots with disassociate personality disorder gets cancelled...

Cruel

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom