Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Polygon: No one knows how expensive video games should be

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/15/16152194/video-game-pricing

No one knows how expensive video games should be
Everyone has an opinion, no one is an expert

There is no “standard” price for a video game in 2017, and that’s a good thing for developers, publishers and fans.

We can fool ourselves into thinking a video game is something you can buy in the store for $59.99, but that ignores the host of special editions that will be released for so many games. It also leaves out the inconvenient truth of how quickly modern games go on sale after launch.

The tiered pricing system that used to separate things like Xbox Live Arcade games from “real” games has also been obliterated, and then further destroyed by the “free” games you get for subscribing to Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network.

I had assumed Sonic Mania would be a full-priced release based on skimming the news about the game, and was pleasantly surprised to find it to be a $19.99 download on the Switch. Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice was released at $29.99. Sales happen frequently at both retail stores and online storefronts. All bets are off.

ARE THE PRICES TOO LOW?
A recent SteamSpy article claimed that indie games are, as a whole, priced too cheaply.

“This is especially true for pre-orders,” SteamSpy founder Sergey Galyonkin argues. “I see many indie companies offering discounts for pre-orders, sometimes going as high as 33 percent. Why would you charge your most loyal fans less? Maybe, instead of asking for a lower price, add more value to the pre-order, like the big guys are doing? ... They’re pre-ordering your title not because it’s cheap, but because they believe in you and want you to succeed, so let them help you.”

A discussion about pricing best practices is more likely to start a debate than lead to anywhere productive, and Galyonkin’s article led to a few spirited conversations online about how games should be priced and why. Jonathan Blow even seemed to put The Witness on sale as a sort of cheeky rebuttal to the article’s praise of the game’s relatively high price relative to other indie games.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_15_at_3.17.15_PM.png

Dude? Dude.

Using The Witness as evidence of anything in terms of pricing is tricky anyway, as the massive success of Braid put Blow in an enviable financial position heading into development of its follow-up. Having a previous hit from an era when being on Xbox Live Arcade meant something also gave Blow and The Witness a massive advantage in terms of press coverage.

Jonathan Blow is operating from the same place of privilege as bands like Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead, who toyed with offering albums with no set prices; these are creative entities who get to take advantage of the new flexible pricing models after using the older studio system for promotion and building wealth. Some people get to operate in the present after using the industry’s past practices as a springboard. Most developers don’t have that luxury.

Which means no one really knows how expensive their games should be. There is no formula to use that will give you a reliable idea of how to sell the maximum number of copies at the highest price, especially when getting attention at all is so difficult, nor is there much transparency in what games cost to make.

And even if there were, what would it matter? A ticket to see the new Star Wars movie usually costs the same as a ticket to see the latest low-budget horror movie, and even then we’re seeing more movies debuting on streaming services, anyway. Budget and pricing aren’t as related as some people like to pretend.

Games are unique in a number of ways, but it’s not like many industries think price is a settled issue. Coke and Pepsi are two of the most marketed products in the world, and the base products have remained relatively unchanged for a very long time. You’d think they’d have optimal pricing figured out, but you still see new sizes of cans and bottles sold at new prices with a fair amount of regularity. If no one has figured out the perfect way to price sugar water yet, don’t expect the pricing of games to be settled any time soon.

This may be an unnerving situation for developers who are trying to make enough money to eat and maybe make their next game, but the good news is that price is rarely an indication of quality or length. You can’t assume much about a game based on how much you paid for it, and experimental pricing means that there will likely always be some new release out there you can afford.

Game pricing is chaos, and if we’ve learned anything about chaos, it’s that it’s filled with opportunity. Everyone may have an opinion, but no one is an expert. And the next sale is likely a day or two away.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Video games are priced at precisely the amount consumers are willing to pay. If a company wishes to charge more or less their gambit's success will be judged by copies sold. This is a trial-and-error approach that is sometimes referred to as "the free market". It's not surprising that the pinko commies at Polygon can't into capitalism 101, or that you in particular would create a topic with an unarchived link to share this "news".

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Video games are priced at precisely the amount consumers are willing to pay. If a company wishes to charge more or less their gambit's success will be judged by copies sold. This is a trial-and-error approach that is sometimes referred to as "the free market". It's not surprising that the pinko commies at Polygon can't into capitalism 101, or that you in particular would create a topic with an unarchived link to share this "news".
I rate this post "Edgy"...

Next time, try to read the fucking article before commenting, OK.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
I did. The tl;dr is "industries evolve, pricing is fluid, the market is chaos".

In other news, water is wet.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
No one cares either.

I buy things or I don't. Price has very little bearing on what I buy. If it is expensive and I want it, I save for it or buy on credit. If it is cheap, wahoo easy come easy go.

What the article ignores is the moron consumers of the world who keep paying full price for preorder shit that disappoints them, yet repeat the cycle at the very next possible opportunity. This keeps prices inflated, because as a group "gamers" are fucking stupid or have daddies monies.

Lol at the idea that anything is priced "precisely". That post was self-refuting.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Never spend more than 5€ on a single game. Always wait for bundles and 75% and above sale. These are the rules of the game :obviously:

But for those who want to waste money here is the formula for the starting price: 1€ per game hour max.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never spend more than 5€ on a single game. Always wait for bundles and 75% and above sale. These are the rules of the game :obviously:

But for those who want to waste money here is the formula for the starting price: 1€ per game hour max.
Nice tactics if you don't care about the types of games that you enjoy being produced in the future...

mbv123

Arbiter

Nice tactics if you don't care about the types of games that you enjoy being produced in the future...
I bet you're one of those retards who buys every game at launch for $60

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I bet you're one of those retards who buys every game at launch for $60
I rate this post "Edgy"...

Severian Silk

I've been disappointed most times I've spent more than $15 on a video game, online or retail. The only games I ever pre-ordered were Homeworld 2 and ToEE. HW2 was a major disappointment compared to the original, and ToEE took many many community patches before it was actually worth that amount of money.

Tytus

Arcane
I've been disappointed most times I've spent more than $15 on a video game, online or retail. The only games I ever pre-ordered were Homeworld 2 and ToEE. HW2 was a major disappointment compared to the original, and ToEE took many many community patches before it was actually worth that amount of money.

I pre-ordered Heroes of Might and Magic 4. It was the game that taught me to never pre-order again.

Vorark

Erudite
Only game I pre-ordered was Dark Souls III because I had a suspicion Scamco would hike the price up after release in my country -- which they ended up doing. Fucking scumbag company; wanted the DLC but won't give them a dime anymore.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

The problem with this line of logic is that a) good games can be made on a shoestring budget (unless you LURVE AAA CoD moviegames) and b) people will continue to make games even without pay.
It's the same rhetorical trick the music industry uses. Oh no, we might not get that new Lady Gaga album if nobody buys her stuff, what a loss for humanity!

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I preordered Ultima IX.

On a sidenote that article is total shit, usual anti-consumer propaganda, current year. Needs a special kind of stupid to even be taken in consideration.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Shit sites like Polygon and Kotaku love to act all high and mighty as Professional Journalists(tm) and intellectual political crusaders until it's time to pay the bills and take some game publisher cock up the ass once again.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
After years in the industry as a customer, I have decided that the best course of action is just buying the game I want to play next (whatever the current price is) and just ignoring everything else. That leaves with the least regrets, and least amount of wasted money in the long run.

Also, I never preorder and almost never buy games on launch (not in this day and age of endless patching and quick discounts), I have become highly hype-resistant after getting burned mutliple times.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter

This. The polygon article is total rubbish. There are however some more interesting questions concerning video game pricing that could be looked into, as for example how and to what extent theories on marginal cost and substitutability for video games can be applied / developed. (If someone has a link to an actually good academic article about this, be a good ol' chap and share)

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Not exactly what you're asking for but this article on tax evasion was an interesting read and tangentially relates to pricing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom