Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL - Which famous codexers should be in the Project Eternity Codex squad?

Which famous codexers should be in the Project Eternity Codex squad?

• Total voters

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, they end up taking Spirotone and Estradiol or something similar which will reduce their Testosterone levels < 50 and increase the Estrogen and Prolactin levels.

You'd assume something that leads to breast growth also leads to behavioral modifications.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The sad thing IMO is, that Kaiserin doesnt realize that the more she argues with DU and exchanges Walls of textes tje more possible it becomes that this will be sent to Obsidian. If no one would have reacted to that "Tranny Character" suggestion, everyone would have shrugged it off and move on.
I'm entirely aware that I'm provoking that sort of action out of the Codex.

The thing is that I also think it's worth demonstrating that even in the face of being provoked, you can't just roll roughshod over whoever the hell you want just for the hell of doing it.
That doesn't make sense.

The logical course of action would have been not to raise extra attention in this forum. Then, if your hated tranny character makes it to Obsidian, you can contact Obsidian.

Otherwise, you're implying that demonstrating on the Codex like a social activist will actually accomplish something meaningful.

mondblut

Arcane
Killing a party of Todd, Pete, Herve and others would be fun, too. Not to mention it is a lasting tradition of the genre (Elizabeth & Abraham, anyone?)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Kaiserin's skin must be thicker than Orichalcum by now
Going by this thread, it's as paper-thin as ever...

Killing a party of Todd, Pete, Herve and others would be fun, too. Not to mention it is a lasting tradition of the genre (Elizabeth & Abraham, anyone?)
Also JVC and Trip Hawkins in MM6. I really like this idea. Pete, Herve, Laidlaw/Gaider, and Molyneux. Perfect!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I also like the idea of having the encounter be the people personally responsible for DECLINE.

Just like it was founf in other cRPG classics. :salute:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You know, the more I hear about this The Six Horsemen of Decline party idea, the more I like it. IMHO, it's definitely better than the Codex archetypes one. So, if the real Codexers idea gets rejected, I'm all for The Six Horsemen of Decline.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So who were the leaders of decline? Of course #1 above all for single handledly destroying every gread developer ever, EA. And of course Herve for utterly destroying BIS, which however gave birth to Obsidian, IneXile and Troika... so in a way we should be THANKING him. :lol: Bioware and Bethesda/Zenimax are definately the champions of decline.

mondblut

Arcane
You know, the more I hear about this The Six Horsemen of Decline party idea, the more I like it. IMHO, it's definitely better than the Codex archetypes one. So, if the real Codexers idea gets rejected, I'm all for The Six Horsemen of Decline.

On one condition, though.

One of them still gets to be a tranny! :troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The horsemen shouldn't be named after the actual people I think - Obsidian would never allow it. But they can be broad archetypes of decline.

The greedy CEO (Riccitiello, Kotick), the crazed veteran designer (Molyneux, Garriot), the shameless bullshit artist (Pete and Todd, Ken Levine), the pixel-art indie hipster (a negative take on Notch, Jonathan Blow, etc)

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
On one condition, though.

One of them still gets to be a tranny! :troll:

Hepler? It's only appropriate after the "they're jealous of my vagina" thing.
That would be the "unfuckable land-whale" archetype. Something like that fat vampire from Blade would be the in-game representation:
fat+vampire.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah yes. The "substandard female feminist writer who doesn't actually like games" is another good decline archetype (Hepler, Anna Anthropy, Anita Sarkeesian)

Anna Anthropy is a tranny too, so that fits.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
OOOH. I know what the final decline archetype should be.

The bribed and corrupted "gaming journalist".

We can give the NPC a name suspiciously similar to one of the RPS guys. :troll:

OOOH. I know what the final decline archetype should be.

The bribed and corrupted "gaming journalist".

His combat quips would consist of praising the game and giving it 10/10, five stars, gold seal of approval, etc. If you inspect him, you see money coming out of his pockets. Upon death he drops more gold than all the other Riders combined.

Not sure if this new idea is any good. To make the reference worth it it'll need to be at least partially clear who they are and I don't think Obsidian will put in such references. The message will get completely misinterpreted by most people anyway

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
As the player travels, they encounter The Six Horsemen¹ of Decline.

¹NOTE: They won't actually be on horses. It's unlikely Obsidian will be able to work in horses and the ability to ride them. Their budget is far too big and if history is any guide, only small teams can make horse-mounted combat. :smug:

1. Eustace Allistair: The leader of the group. If the player talks to him, he will ask the player if they would like to buy one of his "finely crafted, hand-made saddles" as this is "Eustace Allistair's Fine Saddlery Company". He introduces his team: "This here is Herman - my man in charge of operations; that's Rupert - our head salesman; Howard - our Horseman and an excellent hunter; Akinmo - who handles the finer details of all our sales; Meltonsi - our messenger; and I am, Eustace of course.", further questioning reveals that the group "is travelling the countryside to sell our fine saddles. Would you like to buy one?". If the player says yes, "Excellent! Excellent! Speak to Herman so that he can set you up.", if the PC says no however, than "Oh no, you must! Here, speak to Meltonsi..." and is immediately put into conversation with Meltonsi.

2. Jaguar Meltonsi (an anagram for Game Journalist): Speaking to Meltonsi "Hi there, I'm Jaguar - I chose the name myself - Jaguar Meltonsi, pleased to meet you! Have you heard about the fine saddles made by Eustace Allistair's Fine Saddlery Company? In my personal review for Saddle Riders Weekly, I rated them five stars for service and 10/10 overall. Did you also know they've been named 'Saddle of the Year' in over fifty publications? Why I even give each saddle my personal golden seal of approval!" Any attempts at conversation with Jaguar on any other topic will result in an additional sales pitch "Allistair's saddles are all AAA rated!". The player can say "Sounds great, who do I speak to if I want to buy one?" and is referred to Herman. If Jaguar is killed, the player will find on him a "Questionnaire: It has a range of questions asking whether the respondent has any experience with Allistaire's saddles, whether they've used a saddle made by another company - and if they've ever expressed enthusiasm for a particular saddle".

References:

3. Herman Caine: Herman begins, "You want a saddle? Here, let's see... we can fit you up with one of these...", at this time the player can ask "How hard is it to make a saddle?" to which he receives the reply "The challenge is everything", "Does ALlistaire make all the saddles himself?", "Oh, Allistaire doesn't actually make any of the saddles. He pays other people to do that.", "Other people?", "Of course! He couldn't possibly make all the saddles he sells, there are too many. Allistaire is a great businessman. If he finds a good leather-crafter in town, he buys them up - streamlines the business by firing all the older employees who are stuck in their ways of making saddles in big expensive ways - and hires bright new, young vibrant people who are ready to learn saddle-making all over from scratch! Truly, he's a great man. I aspire to be just like him one day... Now I've just about got your saddle ready, you just need to talk to Akinmo first."

4. Akinmo Imura: Akinmo handles "the finer details of a sale". Before the player can buy one, they must talk to Akinmo who informs the player that "Eustace Allistair is following his family's long tradition in the art of saddlery. Secrets handed down by Allistair's ancestors through-out the generations have lead to our company becoming the world leader in saddle making today! Before you acquire a saddle from us, you must agree to a few conditions - This is nothing to be afraid of. We are only trying to protect Allistaire's family secrets.". If the player agrees "Sure, what are the conditions?" Akinmo begins to list them, each is presented as dialogue with a single "I agree" or "I won't agree to that" response. On any "I disagree", Akinmo immediately says, "Than you shall not have a saddle. Good day!" and conversation immediately ends. Any attempt to make further communication with Akinmo leads him only to saying "I wish you good day!" and no-one else in the party will talk to you either. His conditions are:
- "You must not disclose that the saddle is made out of cow leather."
- "You are not allowed to mention the length of time it takes to put the saddle on your horse."
- "You are not to mention that the saddle requires constant adjustment during every journey."
- "You must not mention that removing the saddle from your horse takes over an hour."
- "You may only refer to the saddle in a positive manner and must not make any negative comments about the saddle."
- "When talking about the saddle, you must refer to it as having been made by Eustace Allistair, the finest saddler in the land."
- "Finally, you will not discuss the details of this agreement with anyone."
Once the player agrees to all of those conditions, he is told to speak to Rupert...

References:

3. Rupert Groehden (an anagram for The Redner Group): After agreeing to the terms and conditions as outlined by Akinmo, Rupert will say "Excellent, I heard you speaking with Akinmo and agreeing to our End User Saddle Agreement. Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a fine Eustace Allistair saddle". Rupert then gives the player a "Leather Saddle". Its description states: "This saddle has been made by Eustace Allistair, the finest saddler in the land. His initials are stamped on the side. It is clearly unfinished, requiring much additional work and is of poor quality." The player can talk to Rupert about the saddle, "I've had a look at the saddle and it doesn't seem to be very good..." to which Rupert replies "I believe reviews are completely subjective. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion and opinions are never wrong.", "Well I think your saddle sucks.", "Saying such things about the saddle would seriously deteriorate the professional relationship we have. I don't feel that you are fully aware of the consequences.", "Wait... Are you threatening me?", "Look, the saddle to which you have exclusive access is a review saddle and is several weeks away from completion. It is not necessarily representative of the final quality of the saddle.", "What? Now you're telling me the saddle's not even finished!", "I have to remind you, that if you plan on saying anything poor about our saddle, we'll have to get you to hold that opinion until we've completed making it", "Completed making it!? This is preposterous! I paid for a completed saddle! Not a poorly sewn, half-completed pile of junk!". At this point, conversation ends and Rupert says "Boys, we've got a trouble maker..." and combat begins.

References:

6. Howard Pines: He is the groups Horseman, and so is responsible for the group's horses (which are of course, completely non-existant). According to Haine, "There's nothing like hunting in the country - because enjoyment to me, is riding around on horseback, killing things". When the player points out that he is, in fact, not on a horse - nor are there horses anywhere to be seen, Howard responds "It's not nearly as bad as it seems". The player can talk to Howard about the finer details of saddle-making and be told "Our saddles are designed to appeal to a wider audience. This saddle is our most ambitious saddle ever. We're excited to get it into everyone's hands and let them experience it for themselves. We hope they enjoy it. I think it's our best saddle yet." If asked about the inspiration for the saddles "I still look to other saddles for ideas, as it's pretty easy to pick something up that is done and out and mess with it, if it has an idea you are already thinking about. It could be any saddle. I even tried a saddle once from another saddle company, just to see how theirs worked."

References:
tl;dr: You encounter a group of horsemen, who don't have any horses, they proceed to sell you a saddle - which is crap - and which you probably can't use anyway because there are no rideable horses in the game.

By the way, unless people start dropping some big money on this, we'll fail to reach the $5k mark...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
By the way, unless people start dropping some big money on this, we'll fail to reach the $5k mark...
If you were as good at getting people to pay up as you are at coming up with this awesome stuff then Taluntain really would have his solid gold bathtub.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom