Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper POLL: What type of fag are you?

What type of fag are you? (can choose up to 3)

• Combatfag.

Votes: 204 41.6%
  • Explorationfag.

Votes: 256 52.2%
  • Storyfag.

Votes: 259 52.9%
  • Systemsfag.

Votes: 193 39.4%
  • CNCfag.

Votes: 158 32.2%
  • Moment to moment gameplay feelz fag

Votes: 59 12.0%
  • Just a plain and simple fag.

Votes: 52 10.6%

• Total voters

Prime Junta

I'm a bit faggy about all of that, but story and systems über alles. If they're any good, I can live with weaknesses in any of the others; if either of these two is bad, I'm unlikely to like the game much.

(I was going to say "unless it's Planescape: Torment" but actually a big chunk of my fagginess for that game comes from my man-crush on MCA the way it turned the D&D systems inside out and upside down, and even though the result is fairly horrid from a systemsfag POV exploring those horrors was an adventure in its own right. Plus it has some wack systems of its own, like in the companion interactions for example.)

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Combat, System and Moment to moment for me. One of my favorite games of all time(if not the favorite) is Jagged Alliance 2 so I guess these fit.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Basically, I do want a great story out of my RPGs but I think a game has to wield the particular advantages of its medium to achieve that. (And these are not NPCs waxing philosophical or infodumping all over me, for instance.)

:brodex:

For a storyfag you're pretty cool.
A storyfag that likes Bioware-style infodumps (or godforbid TES-style book dumps) is really a shit storyfag. That shit isn't even good in a book. It's the equivalent of a wall of text with no paragraphs. Really, that's more like fanfictionvomitfag.

Story doesn't have to be text. Like MCA says (fuck I'm going there), showing the story through the environment when appropriate is often much better than being told about it.

For ex, NPC saying "I believe in some shit God lalala." vs showing the NPC doing something in accordance to his beliefs.

resilient sphere

Educated
I really wanna pick puzzlefriend here - even if it's to the detriment of the setting and the sanity of a dungeon, sometimes I'm happiest pressing unmarked buttons or leaving crucial inventory items lying on pressure plates which may or may not be working against me. Is all that type of blob stuff tucked into exploration now? Guess I'm picking exploration, combat and system, then.

The moment-to-moment thing is a fad - all games require downtime.

Trip

Learned
Story doesn't have to be text. Like MCA says (fuck I'm going there), showing the story through the environment when appropriate is often much better than being told about it.

Conversely, text doesn't have to be a "Lemme tell you about X, Y and Z in order." Sometimes stuff could literally be scrawled on the wall and contribute well to "story". Or maybe a handful of apparently neutral physical descriptions echoing one another in an interesting way. Really, it's writing 201. Brains crave patterns, give them the inklings of one and they'll immediately come up with something pretty evocative (to them at least), even if you never meant/mentioned it. Smart writers nudge people into imagining stuff, they don't explain the joke after they've told it.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I can easily identify myself as an exploration fag. Morrowind, Gothic's, Risen 1 - I'd even say that Demon/Dark Souls are exploration fag games to a certain degree. I definitely don't like HUGE worlds with a nasty stench of copy-paste, like that kills it for me pretty much completely. I even liked Gothic 3 because I think that game works very well in the exploration fag department, which is a big thing for me.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Other - atmosphere fag, I can forgive many flaws if the game tickles my imagination, see Another World for one of the best examples (the game evokes the feeling of being in an alien world amazingly well without any of the bells and whistles of modern blockbuster games).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Setting/atmosphere is more important than story, anyway. How good was Gothic 1/2's stories? Pretty terrible, actually. But the settings were great. Still you can't go full esoteric bullshit like Dark Souls.

Avellion

Erudite
Now this is a difficult choice. I throughly enjoy all the first 6. Honestly, as long as the game excels in anything, I will probably enjoy it.

But if I had to associate myself with 3 it would be.

Combatfag: In most RPGs, combat is what you will be doing for most of the time.
Systemsfag: Good indepth systems will make roleplaying my character a lot more enjoyable. But this will also depend on quest design and scenario design.
Explorationfag: Not only do they encourage me to come back again and again, but also sate curiousity.

Cthulhu_is_love

What I'd vote for: Worlddesignfag.
This.

Also I don't mind bad combat and bad story. I am a explorationfag, and systemfag. Good CNC is like the cherry on the top but not necessary.
I also like cliches like amnesia and evil mages as antagonist.

This poll is AIDS-infested.
Anyway, as Ismaul said, this poll lacks Setting-fag. For example, Morrowind hadn't got great dialogues, its story was good, I suppose, but not something extraordinary. So storyfaggotry-wise it wasn't great. But it had really interesting setting, in both visuals and design, and so playing in that world felt unique and somewhat special. It's not explorefaggotry either, 'cause Gothic series, for example, felt great if the player had explored the world, but the setting itself was meh, as was the story.

Oh well, voted Storyfag, C&C-fag, Explorationfag. Wanted to wote systemfag, as PoE showed me, that game with bad systems and decent writing still can be really unsatisfactory, but, well, exploration for me is more important.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I am a number-fag.

Combat , Systems , Exploration would also pick CnC if i could get 4 votes but no way its more important that first three.
Combat, Exploration and System. What use does Story have when the game doesn't have TB-Combat and a ton of stats

Same here. Weird world/dungeons, skill checks, TB-combats ; and it's much better when these 3 aspects mean many deaths and loading.

Last edited:

granit

Scholar
What sort of idiot hooman typed this drivel and not including LARP? LARP IS SUPERIOR TO YOUR PATHETIC FORMS OF GAME PLAY.

Leitz

Learned
I'm new. What's CnC?

Edit: OK took me 8 minutes to find out. Now I gotta change my vote.

Last edited:
F.ilm A.ctors G.uild fag

ateamamericafix278a.gif

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thought of meself as a staunch storyfag but then I played Witcher 3.

The lesson is, the most ahsum, best written story evah can't ever be enough in a tru RPG.

(That said the systems of TW3 are not beyond saving, unlike the story of D:OS, soo yeah...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom