Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Poll - What Settings would you like to see more represented in RPG's?

Next codex approved™ RPG should be set in:

• High Fantasy

Votes: 24 8.0%
  • Low Fantasy

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Dark Fantasy

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Urban Fantasy

Votes: 75 25.0%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Scifi - Space Opera

Votes: 113 37.7%
  • Scifi - Future Earth

Votes: 95 31.7%
  • Hard Scifi

Votes: 141 47.0%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 123 41.0%
  • Time-Travel

Votes: 71 23.7%
  • Alternate History

Votes: 108 36.0%
  • Science Fantasy

Votes: 69 23.0%
  • Pre-Historic

Votes: 73 24.3%
  • Ethnic - (ex: Oriental)

Votes: 83 27.7%
  • Horror

Votes: 104 34.7%
  • Super-Hero

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • Western

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Modern Day

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Mythological

Votes: 49 16.3%
  • Historical Fantasy

Votes: 42 14.0%

• Total voters
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sci-Fi and Horror are very much missing in cRPG settings. Horror is really hard to pull off well though, regardless of the genre.

I still would like to see someone *actually* pull off a very good twist on the classic Fantasy setting. That would be incredibly refreshing.

Like I had mentioned in another thread similar to this, have a genocidal war with the humans, elves and dwarves. Even something like where the Elven race feel they are superior to all races and want to exterminate/subjugate the "lesser" races of Humans and Dwarves. Shake this shit up. DO something new.

c6a17608d144c35be51e699a3dd04bec.jpg

Neanderthal

Arcane
Everytime I watch Rome, I wish for a RPG set in the roman (non-decaying) empire, or even the republic. You get to play as a fictional character in a historic setting, and your actions could influence the events in Rome, pretty much like the two main character of the show.

Weren't Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus actual centurions mentioned in Ceasar's Gallic war journals? Get your point though, personally i'd love to see Arminius raised in Rome, biding his time, learning the ways of the Legions and finally striking back at Teutobergerwald.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Yes, Caesar mentions them very briefly in his journals. They are basically just names in the tv show, everything else is fictional.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I've always wanted an Arabian Nights themed RPG. Like the PoP setting but a RPG. Al-Qadim is the only one I can think of.

Also Sci-Fi is always nice. But only if it has gay romances like ME3. Or ME2.

Dorateen

Arcane
Yeah no idea whats that from.

TSI's work in progress Seven Dragon Saga. Not that it is based on Arabian Nights or anything like that. In fact, the female elf concept art they shared doesn't get much more Northern European. But the developers are looking to mix things up a little bit with their home brewed setting.

The irony, in relation to this thread, is that when it was leaked the former SSI developers would explore a wuxia type setting for SDS, many people were complaining and saying they should stick with High Fantasy.

Obama Phone 3

Learned
Sci-Fi and Horror are very much missing in cRPG settings. Horror is really hard to pull off well though, regardless of the genre.

I still would like to see someone *actually* pull off a very good twist on the classic Fantasy setting. That would be incredibly refreshing.

Like I had mentioned in another thread similar to this, have a genocidal war with the humans, elves and dwarves. Even something like where the Elven race feel they are superior to all races and want to exterminate/subjugate the "lesser" races of Humans and Dwarves. Shake this shit up. DO something new.

You mean horror is hard to pull off in videogames, regardless of the type of game?

On that, I generally disagree. Cancel out all zombie games as being classified as horror, and I believe that horror as a theme in gaming has many classic and close-to-classic titles. The problem is, unlike with other lore-heavy themes such as Fantasy and Sci-Fi, there has not been much horror written or converted into PNP games that can be drawn from as a rich source for videogames. H.P. Lovecraft is one exception since his writings feature dense mythology.

With fantasy, I don't think videogame developers need to "shake shit up." In all reality, they should avoid it alltogether. Tolkien's influence is way too heavy and all fantasy in videogames should be avoided to force developers to create all new material. Same thing should be done with zombie games though too.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
If you want to create horror setting it's not hard, but if you want the game to be kind of a horror game outside of being RPG then it is fucking hard.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Horror fiction, horror literature and alsohorror fantasy are genres of literature, which are intended to, or have the capacity to frighten, scare, or startle their readers or viewers by inducing feelings of horror and terror. Literary historian J. A. Cuddon has defined the horror story as "a piece of fiction in prose of variable length... which shocks or even frightens the reader, or perhaps induces a feeling of repulsion or loathing".[1] It creates an eerie and frightening atmosphere. Horror is frequently supernatural, though it can be non-supernatural

I don't think I have ever played a game that induced any of the feelings described in the above quote, unlike movies, TV shows and books I have watched /read.

The horror genre on pc is a pale shadow of the genre as represented in other mediums.

mondblut

Arcane
Not enough non-fantasy historical RPGs. Would like to see a Renaissance RPG, antiquity RPG, Roman or Greek but other than them: Gallia ? Carthago ? AEgyptus ? Hittite empire ? Nordmen (no, not Vikings) ? Pre-Colombus Americas ? African antiquity ? Mogol ? Angkor ?, and so on.

Stop with elves, dragons, zombies. We already have games for billion lifetimes.

As opposed to what, smashing pink people with forward-curved sticks vs smashing brown people with backward-curved sticks? EXCITING!

How could we live without a hittite RPG for all those years? Their skin hue and stick shape would make a totally unique experience.

Machocruz

Arcane
I found parts of Silent Hill startling. The Crimson Heads in the Resident Evil Remake made me think twice about going in certain rooms, which I guess you can call fear. I got a chill up my spine when I turned around and a zombie was right in my face in System Shock 2. Can't say any films or books have been that effective in over 20 years.

Anyway, my top picks for setting are:

Horror - either A monster-mash type of thing like Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Throw in a Goonies-esque youth adventure theme, improvised "weaponry" like in ZAMN and The Lost Boys. Just something fun; or a Hammer studios inspired, gothic horror with well dressed gents, buxom ladies, glorious Technicolor visuals.

Hard science fiction/political fiction - Earth-based, dealing with national and geopolitics, advanced-yet-grounded military tech, urban settings/warfare, foreign incursions. Maybe a little Mission: Impossible squad dynamics. No gobbledygook like space fleets, galactic dynasties, ancient aliens etc.

Modern day - Something set in the New York inner-city during the 60s or late 70s. Urban blight, ethnic ghettos, low-life characters, small-time players, faded dreams. Maybe something with surreal elements, like The Warriors or Ralph Bakshi's 'Heavy Traffic.' No holds barred, politically incorrect, with the ring of truth to it. Basically, something the video game industry is incapable of making.

Kefka1134

A classic fantasy setting sounds actually kind of interesting... not even sure what that is exactly.

Or what about just like a completely real setting? Just like not grim, dark, high, anything, just like forests, castles, rivers, lakers, etc.

Delbaeth

Learned
As opposed to what, smashing pink people with forward-curved sticks vs smashing brown people with backward-curved sticks? EXCITING!

How could we live without a hittite RPG for all those years? Their skin hue and stick shape would make a totally unique experience.
Even in a low fantasy setting from those cultures, I failed to see it less interesting than Tolkien romanticized stories' plagiarisms or than harem-achievements "games" with half naked schoolgirls with huge swords.

mondblut

Arcane
Even in a low fantasy setting from those cultures, I failed to see it less interesting than Tolkien romanticized stories' plagiarisms or than harem-achievements "games" with half naked schoolgirls with huge swords.

Who cares about stories? What matters is the shit you can do (and can be subjected to) in game.

Blasting a dragon with fireballs and cones of cold while holding his goblin henchmen back with blade barriers and hold persons is fun. Blasting a dinosaur alien with plasma launchers and ion emitters while holding his alien henchmen back with forcefields and telekinetic paralyzation is fun. Even blasting an augmented Stone Cold Steve Austin lookalike with grenades and flamethrowers while holding his mook henchmen back with supression fire and nerve gas is kinda fun, somewhat.

Swinging a stick at a dude who swings a stick at you is not, unless it's an action game solely dedicated to swinging sticks.

Delbaeth

Learned
So, I understand your seek of "awesomness" but, according to you, games with gameplay like AoD or Mount & Blade (either TB or else) are worthless?

mondblut

Arcane
So, I understand your seek of "awesomness"

That's called "tactics" and "diversity". You know, shit that makes a game something other than mindlessly repeating the same droning action.

but, according to you, games with gameplay like AoD or Mount & Blade (either TB or else) are worthless?

Mount & Blade is an action game dedicated to swinging sticks. Were it TB, it would be worthless indeed.

Haven't played AoD, but if it plays like its own combat demo back in the day, or the glorious Arroyo in Fallout2, then yes, it's a waste of time.

Shin

Cipher
A RPG game that takes place in France under Nazis control during WWII (Or in poland) with a jew protagonist would be cool!

jews = elves, nazis = hoomans, = every fantasy game ever, plus devs/publishers dont have the guts for some ole fashioned racism

bloodlover

Arcane
Whoever wants a "modern day" RPG can just play SIMS :M

I have no idea what qualifies as horror RPG, it's the first time I'm hearing about it. And what the hell is "historical fantasy"? Isn't that every fantasy medieval inspired RPG ever?

I'd rather have the usual Tolkien fantasy romance combo but done right, or with some originality than made up genres.

Sykar

Arcane
Voted for Cyberpunk and Hard Sci Fi. I'd be fine with either. Market is saturated with fantasy cRPGs but relative few enjoyable Sci Fi cRPGs. And no, Mass Tard does not count, not even as "Space Opera.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom