Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Poll - What Settings would you like to see more represented in RPG's?

Next codex approved™ RPG should be set in:

• High Fantasy

Votes: 24 8.0%
  • Low Fantasy

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Dark Fantasy

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Urban Fantasy

Votes: 75 25.0%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Scifi - Space Opera

Votes: 113 37.7%
  • Scifi - Future Earth

Votes: 95 31.7%
  • Hard Scifi

Votes: 141 47.0%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 123 41.0%
  • Time-Travel

Votes: 71 23.7%
  • Alternate History

Votes: 108 36.0%
  • Science Fantasy

Votes: 69 23.0%
  • Pre-Historic

Votes: 73 24.3%
  • Ethnic - (ex: Oriental)

Votes: 83 27.7%
  • Horror

Votes: 104 34.7%
  • Super-Hero

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • Western

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Modern Day

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Mythological

Votes: 49 16.3%
  • Historical Fantasy

Votes: 42 14.0%

• Total voters

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Titan Quest might not have been much more than a Diablo 2 clone, but I did enjoy the setting. Wouldn't mind having a greece/roman setting with focus on the different gods, that wasn't an action RPG.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I agree about the Ancient Greek setting, philosophy, a unique art design, Hoplite combat, debate, poetry in the Homeric tradition, sailing, exploration and trade, and all that weird cultural shit that historians go on about that vary between the city states. Only thing i'd not want is too much involvement by the deities, just the usual temples, political power and sacrifices or tributes that folk choose to give. Though i'd want the Oracle to be a part of the game most likely.

There's enough content there to make dozens of games, with such distinct character and flavour, as well as colour and life being discussed.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Weird that innit? Watching Rome other day and Roman senators were laughing at trouser clad Celts, not dressing like men with their womanish hiding of their legs. One o them cultural things that adds to spice if examined I think.

Titan Quest might not have been much more than a Diablo 2 clone, but I did enjoy the setting. Wouldn't mind having a greece/roman setting with focus on the different gods, that wasn't an action RPG.

514AnZR76tL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Licence this with your AoD food stamps plz VD. D1P.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good that hard sci-fi is winning the poll. The chances are small though, because it will require doing some decent research and most devs don't like that. Also, hard sci-fi means no fantasy elements (including aliens, for example, as I understand it) so such a game could attract only a small audience.

Space Insect

Arcane
Good that hard sci-fi is winning the poll. The chances are small though, because it will require doing some decent research and most devs don't like that. Also, hard sci-fi means no fantasy elements (including aliens, for example, as I understand it) so such a game could attract only a small audience.
Are aliens actually completely out of the question in hard sci-fi? I am pretty sure that there are some good hard sci-fi aliens. I enjoyed the Trisolarans in the Three Body Problem.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
One of my favorite post apocalyptic scenarios is a super volcano, like the toba event, which reduced the global human population to an estimated 5000 individuals... Closest our species ever came to extinction.

deuxhero

Arcane
Hear, hear! I'm tired of Hitler wins, etc. I would add Confederate victories as well.

A Confederacy "win" was completely impossible with their resources (north: an industrialized powerhouse with lots of manpower south: rural agricultural) unless an outside power enters the war and that is impossible because crossing the ocean in numbers that would actually have an effect is unlikely and Mexico and Canada were in no position to do anything during the war either. A stalemate where the Union simply gives up trying to force the Confederate states back and the two have an uneasy peace is reasonably plausible though. Lincoln is thought to have deliberately rushed the south, at the cost of many men, because he thought he'd be kicked out next election and this would happen afterwards if the union didn't crush the confederacy by the next election.

Actually, two (or more) factions at an uneasy peace where neither side actually has the resources needed to "win", and could fall apart entirely on their own if they tried to fight a war, is a setting element I'd like to see used more. The British empire dissolved largely because the World Wars left them without enough men to hold their stuff (even early WW2 they felt this badly enough they just gave the US base building rights on some western Atlantic holdings for some really terrible American WW1 ships, the only one of which that got real use was filled with explosives and blown up in an enemy dock, just so they didn't have to defend those islands) is an underused way for an empire to fall (It's always war or disaster in fiction)

deuxhero

Arcane
Yeah, the further back any fork is the more you have to work out how the hell everything works out from it unless the plot immediately has the characters escaping or undoing the new timeline to minimize how much it actually matters

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
I want to be a dragon Gilgamesh.

Yes please. Would be cool if it was based on the "real" mythology, but even something with that general vibe or set in a more ancient-feeling world could be cool. Preferably pre-classical antiquity. I suspect this may be a hard sell though because WHERE'S TEH FULL PLATE ARMOR?? At least that's the problem I ran into with my group when I tried it in Pathfinder.

Lovecraft comes up a lot, and a Call of Cthulhu sort of thing could indeed be cool if done right. I also think it would be cool to go more ancient here though- like a game set in the world/time of The Doom That Came to Sarnath, or playing as an Elder Thing way back in fictional prehistory.

As for sci-fi, I've been waiting all my life for something that captured the feeling I got watching Star Wars as a kid. I'm starting to think I'm too old & jaded for that to be possible, but anyone that proves me wrong gets my money for sure. Doesn't have to be set in the SW universe, in fact, at this point it's probably better if it isn't.

I think hard SF might be too hard to pull off successfully, but again, I'd love for someone to prove me wrong.

Really though, anything but steampunk. I kinda liked Arcanum, but imo it was only cool once. I just don't care for the whole Victorian aesthetic.

Zer0Morph

Novice
I would like to see a large sandbox game similar to Fallout or TES games but a modern day city (and rural) Vampire world using the World of Darkness (White Wolf) setting. I don't think I'd ever play any other game if something like that came out. With the acquisition of WW by Paradox, I'm really hoping Obsidian steps up and does something like this now that CCP is out of the picture.

gaussgunner

Arcane
A post-apocalyptic setting that is not set after a nuclear war or some comet/meteor collision.
I'm on it: near future, post-collapse, nothing spectacular. I still feel it's kinda lame 'cause the "decline and fall of western civilization" thing is overplayed, but that's my perverse brand of sci-fi: our technology is shit that's gonna fail us. I could just as well switch to a Modern Day or Historical setting, anywhere on the fringes of society, but the setting won't make or break the game.

I couldn't bring myself to vote for any Scifi, not even hard scifi. I've come to expect flashy FX, cheesy premises, and shallow roles. In a CRPG especially, it's too easy for devs to focus on the sci-tech systems stuff, to the detriment of gameplay. Anyone who can do it right is a hero but I'm not holding my breath.

Telengard

Arcane
I dunno. You seem to praise RECON to high heaven, but it's virtually unknown, and unmentioned here in Codex. There must be a reason it's so unmentionable.

Convince me why it's worth trying, then. I am open minded.

(Side note: example of good games get ignored is Ring of Red, and to certain extent, Hammer Sickle. HS is because it's about Soviet agent so they spake of Stalin with respect. RoR is because its alternate history remind people of Two Koreas, Two Chinas, and Communist Japan, so the gamer base boycott it.)
To run the full counter argument - not many people play rpg games in comparison to action games, so should rpggames not exist? Just because there are a lot more pansies who only like fairy stories, should all rpg games be pansy games? Is that what we've come to?

Well, yes, that is what we've come to. What do people want in their rpgs? Androgynous elfin creatures dual-wielding scimitars and moping about how they don't like their heritage. Androgynous vampire creatures running around with sharp teeth and moping about how they don't like their heritage. Androgynous anime characters running around with huge swords and spiky hair moping about their sorry lot in life.

Not a single game with real men in it. Where men do manly things. Where men shoot things, instead of cry about things. Where women have big breasts, and men have sex with them, instead of putting them on pedestals. Games played by men who don't care what the hair of their warriors looks like, who put a fucking helmet on - like a man would. Instead of endless fairy stories with "men" prancing around in tight-fitting clothes with lots of buckles and worrying more about the look of their hair and clothes than how well they can kill things.

Pansies.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
NO.MORE.FANTASY

Seriously.. nooooo more fucking fantasy of any shitty kind. I've had enough for 5 life times. Just stahp!

I voted 700 % more
  1. Scifi - Space Opera
  2. Scifi - Future Earth
  3. Hard Scifi
  4. Cyberpunk

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Everytime I watch Rome, I wish for a RPG set in the roman (non-decaying) empire, or even the republic. You get to play as a fictional character in a historic setting, and your actions could influence the events in Rome, pretty much like the two main character of the show.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sci-Fi and Horror are very much missing in cRPG settings. Horror is really hard to pull off well though, regardless of the genre.

I still would like to see someone *actually* pull off a very good twist on the classic Fantasy setting. That would be incredibly refreshing.

Like I had mentioned in another thread similar to this, have a genocidal war with the humans, elves and dwarves. Even something like where the Elven race feel they are superior to all races and want to exterminate/subjugate the "lesser" races of Humans and Dwarves. Shake this shit up. DO something new.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom