Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Poll - What Settings would you like to see more represented in RPG's?

Next codex approved™ RPG should be set in:

• High Fantasy

Votes: 24 8.0%
  • Low Fantasy

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Dark Fantasy

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Urban Fantasy

Votes: 75 25.0%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Scifi - Space Opera

Votes: 113 37.7%
  • Scifi - Future Earth

Votes: 95 31.7%
  • Hard Scifi

Votes: 141 47.0%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 123 41.0%
  • Time-Travel

Votes: 71 23.7%
  • Alternate History

Votes: 108 36.0%
  • Science Fantasy

Votes: 69 23.0%
  • Pre-Historic

Votes: 73 24.3%
  • Ethnic - (ex: Oriental)

Votes: 83 27.7%
  • Horror

Votes: 104 34.7%
  • Super-Hero

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • Western

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Modern Day

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Mythological

Votes: 49 16.3%
  • Historical Fantasy

Votes: 42 14.0%

• Total voters

Namutree

Savant
I'd really like to see a game take inspiration from the Meiji era. Tons of factions playing eachother and trying to kill eachother, strong themes of tradition vs. progress, interesting mash of technology and a setting that allows for (though doesn't necessarily encourage) melee attacks when firearms exist.

So far the nearest we've gotten is the first and fourth Way of the Samurai games (The fourth is great and on PC now, though the first has forced iron man making it unplayable on an actual console due to how unreliable CD based PS2 games are)
Meiji Japan would be pretty neat. Also, I've played a ton of, "Way of the Samurai" on my PS2 and have never had any problems.

Adon

Arcane
Voted for quite a few, but priority-wise, the top 3 are horror, cyberpunk, and ethnic. Something I keep thinking about is like a sort of modern-day (maybe not that modern 1990s would be p good) Gothic horror type of RPG that would have urban legends -- sort of similar to the movie Candyman.

deuxhero

Arcane
I want to be a dragon Gilgamesh.

Seriously though, historical settings and proper mythological ones would be great but for some reason they're not even in the poll.
Meiji Japan would be pretty neat. Also, I've played a ton of, "Way of the Samurai" on my PS2 and have never had any problems.

Could be either one of two things
1: The PAL version was apparently printed on DVD, not CD like both NTSC versions were (check the underside of the disc, it will be blue if it's a CD game). If you are European this isn't as much of an issue (though not including a fatalsafe for failed bad loads in a game with iron man is still bad design)
2: "phat" PS2s handled blue discs far better than slims (My entire unit will vibrate like a phone while playing a blue disc game, but oddly not PS1 games, and the internet has led me to beleive such problems aren't unusual)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller please pay attention and give the codex the hard-scifi RPG it needs...

On the other hand, think the writing talent at iron tower is up to truly making the science behind the generation ship project something believable and well researched? or are you taking a more pulpy approach?
The generation ship genre isn't about 'science'. Unlike, say, Mass Effect where you fly to different systems, explore different worlds, use sci-fi words in dialogues, fuck aliens, the generation ships are about people stuck on a ship for hundreds of years. It's about social evolution (more like mutation), which is what I like about it.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Alternate history that doesn't have any crazy sci-fi tech or magic in it and doesn't use the 20th Century as its main divergent point. (e.g. what if Hitler won WW2, what if the Russians won the Cold War etc.) For example, just off the top of my head... an RPG set in a world where the Roman Empire never fell into decline, but thrived for thousands of years and still rules Europe to this day.

A time travel RPG would be great but I get the feeling that C&C would be horribly difficult to implement in a satisfactory way. Another possibility is an alternate worlds RPG, with no time travel but involves going to alternate dimensions in the same time period like Sliders or something.

Urban fantasy would be good, I'd play something tonally similar to Earthbound but done in a CRPG style with character creation, dialogue choices etc. instead of SNES style.

mondblut

Arcane
How would one classify a WW1-era RPG set in British occupied Cairo, with the theater of operation being Egypt (Cairo) + the Sinai + the Levant?

A boring drag where the coolest stuff you could do is firing a static machinegun and throwing dynamite sticks?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The generation ship genre isn't about 'science'. Unlike, say, Mass Effect where you fly to different systems, explore different worlds, use sci-fi words in dialogues, fuck aliens, the generation ships are about people stuck on a ship for hundreds of years. It's about social evolution (more like mutation), which is what I like about it.
As long as the science is sound, and the entire social evolution and technological decay is more developed than just 'it's a thousand years later and there are mutants and Raiders about'

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Smaller more personal stories works fine in an historical setting. You're too used to the epic plots of the high fantasy games it would seem, if you've lost your imagination so completely. If anything it'd encourage much better writing since they can't just give the player complete agency over how things at large turn out, which I've always found lazy. You might not be able to decide the fate of kings, nations, the outcome of wars or even who runs your local village in a historical setting but you could change your place in the world and the people directly around you. Just like in real life. Instead of being something that you are in control of larger conflicts instead creates context and frame your personal struggles.

The only real issue with a historical setting that I can see is that mage fetishists won't like it but I think if you pair it with an interesting enough system it could work.

Also, mythology it's not at all the same as fantasy. It's entirely different.

Fair enough, it's a community post, and even tho i might disagree i will add those options :)

@Kem0sabe why dont you add that pure underwater setting. the possibilities for story lore and everything else are endless

In this case, i dont think there is any overriding theme in a underwater setting, unlike Western for example. IT can be underwater in another world, in our own, in the past, in the future, in an alternate universe, in a fantasy universe.

Delbaeth

Learned

Is it something like Destination Void, the Jesus Incident and the Ascension Factor ?

Alternate history that doesn't have any crazy sci-fi tech or magic in it and doesn't use the 20th Century as its main divergent point. (e.g. what if Hitler won WW2, what if the Russians won the Cold War etc.) For example, just off the top of my head... an RPG set in a world where the Roman Empire never fell into decline, but thrived for thousands of years and still rules Europe to this day.

You know I'd really like to see a cRPG in an alternate history in which you're part of the resistance against the Nazi occupiers as we've seen it plenty of times in shooters.
Imagine the situations we could have here with a good character system.
Take a party with high society people and Nazis for instance, there'd be plenty of opportunity to use social skills, stealth, or alternatively go for combat outright and bring some heat onto your occupied sector.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I think what people mean is that the generation ship's setting sounds relatively conservative (Mohs Scale 5: no FTL, no suspended animation etc) and trust that you will keep that consistent.
Conservative is a good word. No FTL or suspended animation because they defy the very concept of a generation ship. It's a retrofitted cargo ship, privately funded (as no government would pay for it). So nothing state of the art and fancy.

As long as the science is sound, and the entire social evolution and technological decay is more developed than just 'it's a thousand years later and there are mutants and Raiders about'
It's well developed (at very least I did my best to 'well-develop' it) as settings are important to me. If you like what I did with the AoD world, you'll like this one a lot. If not...

For me this setting starts when the ship is launched. Why it was launched it, who paid for it, what kind of people were selected, what kind of society it created, its goals, ways to enforced order, etc. Then the mutiny (why it happened, how it affected the 'eco-system', which new groups emerged). Then the 'present day' - how these groups evolved into what the player will see.

Is it something like Destination Void, the Jesus Incident and the Ascension Factor?
No.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd much rather have a Silent Storm: Resistance though. Hammer and Sickle: Skewer-kraut is cool too.

Namutree

Savant
Could be either one of two things
1: The PAL version was apparently printed on DVD, not CD like both NTSC versions were (check the underside of the disc, it will be blue if it's a CD game). If you are European this isn't as much of an issue (though not including a fatalsafe for failed bad loads in a game with iron man is still bad design)
2: "phat" PS2s handled blue discs far better than slims (My entire unit will vibrate like a phone while playing a blue disc game, but oddly not PS1 games, and the internet has led me to beleive such problems aren't unusual)
I have a phat PS2 so that must be it.

The generation ship genre isn't about 'science' ... It's about social evolution (more like mutation), which is what I like about it.

514px-The_long_sun(novel).jpg

Licence this with your AoD millions plz VD. D1P.

Gerrard

Arcane
A post-apocalyptic setting that is not set after a nuclear war or some comet/meteor collision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom