Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: Obsidian's worst rpg

What's Obsidian's worst game?

• Total voters

Mychkine

Educated
Never played DS3 and I'm not sure it really qualifies as a proper RPG. Among Obsidian games I did play, NWN2 is by far the worst. As some other have already pointed in this thread, the combination of poor writing, endless filler content, cliché plot and clunky fighting engine makes for a game I never could force myself behind the 1st act. Other games all have redeeming features.

Kotor 2, for all its shortcomings, is as very interesting take on Star Wars (Ex. Universe) tropes.
Alpha Protocol may have poor third person shooter gameplay, but excellent reactivity and C&C.
New Vegas is a proper good RPG, even with its rather bad FPS engine, with some excellent DLC to boot (I loved Old World Blues)
Pillars is like BG1, sometimes bland, uninspired and tedious, but laying (with 3.0 on gameplay basis and White March on story/rythm/writing basis) good fundations for better games to come.
South Park made me laugh a lot.
Tyranny has good background and interesting, if a bit shallow, C&C.

NWN2 main campagn has noting good in it, and the shitty game engine even detered me from playing its extentions.

Ash

Arcane
Worst: Alpha Brotocol.

Care to explain why? I know it was very flawed, but it had some great concepts imo.

Gameplay is trash. Uninspired Mass Effect imitator. Doesn't get much worse than that.
I'm aware it has merits in dialogue/character development C&C but I am a gameplay-first guy so naturally I strongly dislike AP as a result.

Lostpleb

Learned
Obsidian games are great when you're in the mood to pop moles, but pretty mundane otherwise (with the rare exception being DLC/Expansions like Mask of the Betrayer and Fallout:NV). They're like a band that came up with an amazing, niche musical style, but ruins it on a regular basis just for a shot at being heard on the radio.

Of the ones that I played I'd say PoE is the worst (didn't play DS3 so I can't vote for it). NWN2 OC was painful as well, but at least I finished it. Zehir was meh after MotB. Southpark was play once and forget it game. Tyranny was bleh for a few hours I tried it, but after PoE I didn't really expect much else anyway. But PoE, that one hurt. After all the hype, the kickstarter promises, obsidian free from the tyranny of the publishers, the new age of incline - and the result is a half-baked pile of boredom that couldn't compete with freaking BG(1!).

Actually, looking at that list the only games I would rate above meh (and that most of us would agree are really good) are New Vegas and MotB. And those have some years on them already.

DramaticPopcorn

Just here to hijack this thread but one thing you guys did amazingly well (apart from adding landscaping) was the UI engine. It's flexible and it scales incredibly well. To this day, I haven't seen any other game provide this much support for custom interfaces (mainly because of the flash & scaleform paradigm) and it was a true joy to work with.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of the ones that I played I'd say PoE is the worst (didn't play DS3 so I can't vote for it). N... But PoE, that one hurt. After all the hype, the kickstarter promises, obsidian free from the tyranny of the publishers, the new age of incline - and the result is a half-baked pile of boredom that couldn't compete with freaking BG(1!).
But the poll was stated in absolute terms, not relative to the expectations one might have had for a game. Granted, getting disappointed by something long awaited hurts more than when you've already braced for the impact of decline, and that's why - like someone suggested - PoE gets undeservedly more flak than Tyranny.

Rev

Arcane
But the poll was stated in absolute terms, not relative to the expectations one might have had for a game. Granted, getting disappointed by something long awaited hurts more than when you've already braced for the impact of decline, and that's why - like someone suggested - PoE gets undeservedly more flak than Tyranny.
At least, no one has been so retarded to vote for NV or MotB, yet.

Exhuminator

Arcane
Not surprised it's Dungeon Siege III. I gave that one an honest shot, co-op even, was incredibly boring. Like, cardboard flavored cardboard boring.

I voted for NWN2 (Vanilla).

My personal opinion is that we should have focused more on the toolset and providing the ability for other people to create content and updating features and the rule set. .
Seing the massive success of the community content and engagement in the first NWN, what made obsidian think that focusing almost exclusively on the single player to the detraction of tools and online components was a good idea?
Honestly I would have taken a solid single player campaign and great mechanics over any crappy game with an amazing toolset.

I voted NWN2 precisely because we got neither and the result was the worst of both worlds.

Parabalus

Arcane
I'm surprised you didn't add PoE2 to the list, that would sure make a lot of people here happy :M.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's absurd that people are rating NWN 2 and PoE as worse than DS3.

DS3 is pretty much objectively the worst RPG Obsidian has made, if you think anything else you are retarded.

Shadenuat

Arcane
From all their games, the single one that I was just mad at was KOTOR2 release. Everything about it's core gameplay was awful, since it was worst parts of KOTOR1 recycled to extreme over and over and bugs all over it. It still is: Peragus is shit, killing random trash after first station is shit, killing 200 droids in 50 same rooms on Nar Shaddaa is shit, cutscenes constantly breaking pacing of the game; but the worst offender was the endgame. By all intent I think it is undeniably worse than even KOTOR1 finishing line, because it takes probably 4x time longer. If in KOTOR1 you just rush through maybe 2-3 levels, spank Bastila and proceed to the boss, in KOTOR2 you go through fucking planet of fucking rancors as multiple characters, and then the sith academy. And that academy, oh my god, the same rooms, long corridors, you killing packs of same copy pasted sith over and over and over and over and over again trying to find your idiot teammates while they drop loads of Uliq Qel Droma robes and other totaly unique loot or whatsnot... urrrrrrrkkkkk.

NWN2 comes second, with ORCS IN CAVES and amazing system where, if you play as thief and try to stealth something through you don't have enough XP to be strong enough to kill monsters later etc. But at least it was a stable game.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Pillars. Obviously. This shouldn't be any kind of fucking argument. Dungeon Siege 3 was competent and there was little to no expectations for it. It was a so, so sequel to a so, so series. Pillars of Eternity was supposed to be the revitalization of the crpg genre, it was the long awaited chance for Obsidian to create an original game from the ground up with no publisher interference (which was supposedly the culprit for any flaws in their previous games); and what did we get but one of the most generic, trite fantasy settings, one of the most telegraphed, least engrossing plots I've ever seen in a game. Combat that was supposed to have learned its lessons from the short comings of the infinity engine games, but ended up being even more of a clusterfuck. kys anyone who disagrees

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Play 3.0 and White March. Considering they built a whole new system from the ground, POE1 is at least as good as BG1 now.

Oh and go fuck yourself, you butthurt retard.

Seaking4

Learned
Seeing as we are all doing "[insert game here] is the only correct answer", I'd like to double down on NWN2 OC being the only correct answer. Not only is it terrible, it's also terribly long. They improved like 3 things from the original but somehow made everything else worse or equally awful (while somehow focusing almost exclusively on the campaign instead of the toolset).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom