Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: Obsidian's worst rpg

What's Obsidian's worst game?

• Total voters

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
acH3leK.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Played DungSiege3, totally unbalanced higher difficulty make some encounters impossible

I recommend getting good because I completed it on the highest difficulty and got the 'chievement for doing so without ever turning the difficulty down.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Played DungSiege3, totally unbalanced higher difficulty make some encounters impossible

I recommend getting good because I completed it on the highest difficulty and got the 'chievement for doing so without ever turning the difficulty down.
I finished it long time ago. Mobs and minibosses are no issue but some bossess (like the one from DLC with insane health regeneration, master thief in his lair with homing instakill energy missles that are hard to dodge) were nuts. Still got achievement via switching difficulty. Whatever.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I voted for NWN2 (Vanilla).

My personal opinion is that we should have focused more on the toolset and providing the ability for other people to create content and updating features and the rule set. I do still think we made a okay game with great expansions, but with the final game it was very difficult for the community to create content which I think puts it at odds with what the goal of the original NWN was.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

My personal opinion is that we should have focused more on the toolset and providing the ability for other people to create content and updating features and the rule set. I do still think we made a okay game with great expansions, but with the final game it was very difficult for the community to create content which I think puts it at odds with what the goal of the original NWN was.
Seing the massive success of the community content and engagement in the first NWN, what made obsidian think that focusing almost exclusively on the single player to the detraction of tools and online components was a good idea?

Last edited:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Seing the massive success of the community content and engagement in the first NWN, what made obsidian think that focusing almost exclusively on the single player to the detraction of tools and online components was a good idea?

I wasn't the lead designer, so I couldn't tell you - I do know that once Josh and Avellone teamed up to lead the project, things moved in a better direction for the community, but it wasn't enough.

Again, I still think we made a good game, but it wasn't friendly for community development. I remember (vaguely) that there was an issue with some of the middle ware we used. Some of them wouldn't allow us to release some tools we made which made it harder for the community to create art content.

I think the move away from tiles made it easier to create more organic looking levels, but made it harder for Joe Dungeon Master to make his levels. That would be less of an issue these days as the mod communities have become more advanced - but back then, it was a challenge.

We did do a lot of amazing things, like REAL party companions were their own discrete characters, that could level up, have equipment and inventories, and didn't just load in a new template every few levels. You could even add monsters to your party, legitimately. And of course, eventually, we added in the Party Creation System and the Party Conversation System. Those were all good.

I think if we were tackling something like that again, I think we could crush it this time.

Cholo

Arcane
Gotta be PoE. Obsidian phoning it in with somebody else's IP is one thing, but watching them do it to themselves killed any hope I had of them getting out of their slump.

Rev

Arcane
Gotta be PoE. Obsidian phoning it in with somebody else's IP is one thing, but watching them do it to themselves killed any hope I had of them getting out of their slump.
How can PoE be their worst game when they made Tyranny, which uses the same base established by Pillars, except for making everything far worse?

Mark Richard

Arcane
No votes for New Vegas. That's what I like to see. :salute:

Just about the only one I haven't tried is Dungeon Siege III, which not so coincidentally falls short of the lofty reputation of Obsidian's other titles.

Quillon

Arcane
DS3, which was the only Obs RPG I couldn't bear through till South Park.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom