Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] Let's settle this - did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

• Yes

Votes: 65 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 536 89.2%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
T'is a shame. DAO is 33rd on Codex all time list. Although I have not purchased any other Dragon Age game since - way way way at the back of my head is minute hope that DAO might be okay after all. I don't really like to give up on any of my purchases.

Codex has already changed my views on a few games (Fallout 1 and New Vegas to be precise) and hoping at one point to get my Planescape CDs out.

Heck - Mass Effect 1 and 2 were okay and not shamed I bought them - completed them.

DA:O is a difficult one to take advice from on the codex. I'm not at all a Bioware fan, I've played very few of their games, but I could cope with DA:O just fine. I had a lot of criticisms, but then I do with most games, that's just part and parcel of post-play reviewing. I'd rate DA:O a comfortable 7 or 8 out 10 and so would many others here.

However, it was a game which kind of drew a line in the sand for a section of RPGers, and these guys will spam one-liner hate messages whenever it's mentioned. From what I can gather, and I'll probably be corrected for being wrong, but my impression is that it even split the staff of the codex, Grunker seems to agree it was an ok RPG whereas Jaesun seems to spit at it with quite some venom.

So DA:O is kind of like vegemite, it gets all the reactions possible in pretty equal numbers. DA2 and DA:I however seem to be either like or dislike games, in that the field of in-game mechanics is so stripped down that it essentially comes down to if you like all the party banter and don't care too much about anything else, particularly combat.

It's quite difficult to put into words and I've probably hashed the description somewhat, but I hope you kinda get what I'm babbling about. DA:O has more universal RPG appeal, but the sequels require quite specific tastes, and those tastes aren't necessarily traditional cRPG related.

Suicidal

Arcane
Nope and am not going to.

It's downright sinful to buy this piece of shit and give Bioware/EA money now that we actually have good/decent RPGs to choose from.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with auto-battle.

As far as my experience with this game goes, you issue commands, be it normal attack or abilities, and the characters will carry them over pretty much like every point&click game would do. Once the command is done, they start to attack automatically for themselves if you are controlling that character, or if not, they will start to behave like retards.

When you go into tactics mode it pauses. You can tell everyone what to do at this point, like any other DA game. You can do this without tactics mode on PC just by pausing in normal view too. After you tell them what to do you either unpause and resume control of your character, or you can "fast forward" and watch the AI take control and play itself until you win or pause again. This is not really relevant to auto-attack.

If you as a dagger rogue want to hit enemy X you need to walk up to them using WASD, "aim" your ability at the person using the camera, then execute the action. Then you have to do it again, and again, every time. You can't just click on an enemy and have your rogue auto-attack and auto-follow the enemy until you decide to do another special attack. You need to either a) follow them and "aim" every attack using WASD, or b) let the AI take over the character in general.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you as a dagger rogue want to hit enemy X you need to walk up to them using WASD, "aim" your ability at the person using the camera, then execute the action. Then you have to do it again, and again, every time. You can't just click on an enemy and have your rogue auto-attack and auto-follow the enemy until you decide to do another special attack. You need to either a) follow them and "aim" every attack using WASD, or b) let the AI take over the character in general.

Yeah, this, more than anything, is the reason I disagree with Roguey. Roguey asks: which action game let's you pause and issue a command? Another question might be: which tactical RPG requires camera-aim and has no targeting-system?

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Someday there will come a crack, and I will play it. Maybe.

Until that day I count my precious shekels.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with auto-battle.

As far as my experience with this game goes, you issue commands, be it normal attack or abilities, and the characters will carry them over pretty much like every point&click game would do. Once the command is done, they start to attack automatically for themselves if you are controlling that character, or if not, they will start to behave like retards.

When you go into tactics mode it pauses. You can tell everyone what to do at this point, like any other DA game. You can do this without tactics mode on PC just by pausing in normal view too. After you tell them what to do you either unpause and resume control of your character, or you can "fast forward" and watch the AI take control and play itself until you win or pause again. This is not really relevant to auto-attack.

Ok, or Bioware has really, and I mean REALLY fucked up the mouse and keyboard controls, or I'm still not understanding what you're refering to (which, in all honesty, wouldn't surprise me. Feel free to ignore me if that's the case, there's a limit which one can repeat himself without getting tired of it).

With a controller, you select where you want to by point&click when using the tactical camera. You don't use, or don't need to, the joystick for movement. What you say here: "You can't just click on an enemy and have your rogue auto-attack and auto-follow the enemy until you decide to do another special attack." isn't actually true. When you are in control of this specific character, you can send them where you want using the cursour, and not the left joystick. And if you are atacking one enemy in melee, and for whatever reason the enemy moves, your character will follow him automatically in order to keep the previous order which wasn't cancelled, attacking. And I'm not talking about the AI here, I'm talking when you have direct control over the character.

Slow James

Savant
Ok, or Bioware has really, and I mean REALLY fucked up the mouse and keyboard controls, or I'm still not understanding what you're refering to (which, in all honesty, wouldn't surprise me. Feel free to ignore me if that's the case, there's a limit which one can repeat himself without getting tired of it).

With a controller, you select where you want to by point&click when using the tactical camera. You don't use, or don't need to, the joystick for movement. What you say here: "You can't just click on an enemy and have your rogue auto-attack and auto-follow the enemy until you decide to do another special attack." isn't actually true. When you are in control of this specific character, you can send them where you want using the cursour, and not the left joystick. And if you are atacking one enemy in melee, and for whatever reason the enemy moves, your character will follow him automatically in order to keep the previous order which wasn't cancelled, attacking. And I'm not talking about the AI here, I'm talking when you have direct control over the character.

No, Bioware really had made the KBM controls this bad. The tactical cam and aiming system works a ton better on console than on PC. You have to face the target using WASD for melee combat, then hit E/LMB to attack them, missing if the target is moving.

As soon as I saw a video of someone doing that, I was like...

ffc.gif

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did not buy it, because I never finished Origins (and did not even start Dragon Age 2), and I am a continuity freak, so starting from the third game does not compute for me.

I am going to buy it soon, though, because a couple of friends asked to get this as a Christmas gift. I do not think that counts for the poll, though.
Convinced them it is a shit game and bought them Alien: Isolation instead. You are not getting my money this time, EA.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

You don't have direct control of the character in tactical mode, so... I again have no idea what you're talking about. I tried the game with an Xbox pad too, so this isn't about PC versus console controls.

In tactical mode you can issue orders. If you fast forward time you can watch those orders play out to an extent. You can tell your Inquisitor rogue to attack a specific dude and she will. She will follow him, use abilities, attack him, etc. However you have no direct control. You are allowing the AI to control her and only picking a target, or telling her when to use abilities if you have auto-use off. However when directly controlling a character, using either control scheme, you must "aim" at the enemy, you must follow the enemy to get into range, you must manually activate normal combat attacks. If you don't follow the knight around your rogue will swing at air.

I don't think going to tactical mode and letting the AI do everything on fast-forward makes this not an action game. When playing normally, direct control over the PC, you have to aim, move and attack yourself.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
I did not buy it, because I never finished Origins (and did not even start Dragon Age 2), and I am a continuity freak, so starting from the third game does not compute for me.

I am going to buy it soon, though, because a couple of friends asked to get this as a Christmas gift. I do not think that counts for the poll, though.

Did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

It counts.. and we all get to laugh.

I bought DA:O second hand. Didn't even play DA2. Might eventually not remove from inventory DA3 at some point.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

You don't have direct control of the character in tactical mode, so... I again have no idea what you're talking about. I tried the game with an Xbox pad too, so this isn't about PC versus console controls.

In tactical mode you can issue orders. If you fast forward time you can watch those orders play out to an extent. You can tell your Inquisitor rogue to attack a specific dude and she will. She will follow him, use abilities, attack him, etc. However you have no direct control. You are allowing the AI to control her and only picking a target, or telling her when to use abilities if you have auto-use off. However when directly controlling a character, using either control scheme, you must "aim" at the enemy, you must follow the enemy to get into range, you must manually activate normal combat attacks. If you don't follow the knight around your rogue will swing at air.

I don't think going to tactical mode and letting the AI do everything on fast-forward makes this not an action game. When playing normally, direct control over the PC, you have to aim, move and attack yourself.
But... isn't this way how almost every point & click based game works? You issue orders, watch as the characters make them?

Before you said: "You can't just click on an enemy and have your rogue auto-attack and auto-follow the enemy until you decide to do another special attack." You're just saying now that it can be done: "You can tell your Inquisitor rogue to attack a specific dude and she will. She will follow him, use abilities, attack him, etc."

Now I'm really at the dark about what you're complaining.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hmmm: DalekFlay, maybe you need to demonstrate to our friend here what happens when you click on a enemy in an Infinity Engine game versus what happens when you click on an enemy in DA:I.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
:hmmm: DalekFlay, maybe you need to demonstrate to our friend here what happens when you click on a enemy in an Infinity Engine game versus what happens when you click on an enemy in DA:I.
Please do. A direct comparison would make things clear for me to understand what you're exactly refering to. If not, you can officially declare me a lost cause.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Please do. A direct comparison would make things clear for me to understand what you're exactly refering to. If not, you can officially declare me a lost cause.

Issuing auto-attack orders:

Baldur's Gate: click on a companion, set to attack, switch character. The companion follows the enemy, auto-attacking.

Dragon Age: Inquisition: click on a companion, set to attack, switch character. The companion follows the enemy, using abilities and switching to AI control.

_______

In control of a character:

Baldur's Gate: Click on a character. Auto-attack procedures begin.

Dragon Age: Inquisition: Click on a character. Aim camera. Issue attack command and hope your coordination is on point. Repeat.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron

Baldur's Gate: click on a companion, set to attack, switch character. The companion follows the enemy, auto-attacking.

Dragon Age: Inquisition: click on a companion, set to attack, switch character. The companion follows the enemy, using abilities and switching to AI control.
Many thanks Grunker. Yes, that is absolutely true. If you are not controlling the charcater in question, once they've done what you want them to do, they start to do whatever they want. I said that before, I think. But again, it's still a point & click system, just dumbed down to make it more comfortable to controllers and action players.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I kinda want to play it, the world looks nice to explore, but I will wait for next year sale and patches and DLCs.

Lhynn

Arcane
Someday there will come a crack, and I will play it. Maybe.

Until that day I count my precious shekels.
I can basically play it for "free" on my brothers account. fuck that waste of time tho. I got better games to re-replay

valcik

Arcane
I'm not going to buy this shit, neither pirate it or touch it in any other way.

Delterius

Arcane
I said that before, I think. But again, it's still a point & click system, just dumbed down to make it more comfortable to controllers and action players.
Oh God, no. That isn't true. That last thing you do in DA:I is point and click with your mouse. Not even looting is comfortable with a mouse, much less managing the battle.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
I said that before, I think. But again, it's still a point & click system, just dumbed down to make it more comfortable to controllers and action players.
Oh God, no. That isn't true. That last thing you do in DA:I is point and click with your mouse. Not even looting is comfortable with a mouse, much less managing the battle.
I was talking exclusively about the combat with the "tactical camera", and I'm playing it on consoles, so with a controller. I assume that the camera is funtionally the same, so I can understand why can be a pain in the ass to play it with mouse and keyboard, but still, in that mode, it's basically as I say.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom