Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] Let's settle this - did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

• Yes

Votes: 65 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 536 89.2%

• Total voters

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I am getting a deja vu from the time when Skyrim's dump-downiness was hit by the 'dex's rightious wrath. Stats gone, multipliers gone, where is ma acrobatix/athletix... funny thing was: it didn't bother me while playing. Having to use a skill you never wanted to use just to increase your manapool wasn't exactly an essential feature. Individuality was created through the "increase while using" skills. Loss of skill reqs for guilds still sucked though.

Don't get me wrong, it IS shit in CISquisition. It's one thing to clean something up, because it turned out more complicated than intended, but completley removing it? Maybe they were afraid the players wouldn't know what to do?
Wait, does that mean you can respec in this game and turn from mage into rogue with just 2 clicks because there are not stats to prevent that anymore?

Huh, I am detecting a scary running theme at NiuBioware here...

Unwanted

QuestionMan

Unwanted
Watched the 4players review (german) and it explained how streamlined the game was. And I thought it could have been the best Dragon Age of all times... a bummer, especially since I found DAO only mediocre. I'd love to have the colorful graphics and landscapes in Origins though, but otherwise glad I didn't fall for the hype.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
T'is a shame. DAO is 33rd on Codex all time list. Although I have not purchased any other Dragon Age game since - way way way at the back of my head is minute hope that DAO might be okay after all. I don't really like to give up on any of my purchases.

Codex has already changed my views on a few games (Fallout 1 and New Vegas to be precise) and hoping at one point to get my Planescape CDs out.

Heck - Mass Effect 1 and 2 were okay and not shamed I bought them - completed them.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
No - for many reasons.

1. It's Electronic Arts - they pissed me over a few times.
2. It's Bioware - they pissed me over a few times.
3. It's Dragon Age - the first game pissed me over.
4. Metacritic - user rating of 5.5 (I take this into account before I buy mainstream stuff)
5. Codex - I need to play all the following again (or for the first time) PLUS those listed by the Steam Curator before I lose my self-respect and dignity by installing any trash from Bioware/ EA.

1 Planescape: Torment
3 Fallout 2
4 Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
5 Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
6 Vampire: The Mascarade - Bloodlines
11 Deus Ex
12 Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer
13 Jagged Alliance 2
14 Dark Souls
15 Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
16 Betrayal at Krondor
17 Baldur's Gate
18 Darklands
20 Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss
21 The Temple of Elemental Evil
22 Icewind Dale
22 System Shock 2
25 Might and Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven
27 Knights of the Chalice
28 Might and Magic: World of Xeen
29 Alpha Protocol
30 Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail
31 Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
32 Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
33 Ultima VII: The Black Gate
37 Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
37 Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
39 Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle
40 Icewind Dale II
40 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
42 Wasteland
43 Quest For Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
43 Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
47 Anachronox
47 Geneforge
47 Pools of Darkness
51 Albion
52 Drakensang: River of Time
54 King of Dragon Pass
54 Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds
56 Divine Divinity
56 Mount & Blade: Warband
61 ADOM - Ancient Domains of Mystery
61 Neverwinter Nights 2
66 Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
68 Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters
69 Dark Heart of Uukrul
69 Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
71 Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga
71 Wizards & Warriors
No prime-numbered TES?

That is a wishlist if I was to ever lose my job/win lotto.

Too intimidating a lazy 71 games I should get round to (re)playing, same thing happens with steam list of games. See them, then fuck it... Play hearthstone or HoN instead.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A bunch of posters said the same thing about DA2 and they were wrong there too. Action games being synonymous with "thing I don't like."

I was someone who put up with a decent amount of grief on here for saying DA2 was still a tactical CRPG, just a really shitty one. I told people fast animations and some very minor action elements didn't change what the game fundamentally was. I played that game with all automatic ability use off, placing my characters and switching to them as needed to do spells and special attacks. It was a (shitty) tactical RPG.

Inquisition is an action game.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A bunch of posters said the same thing about DA2 and they were wrong there too. Action games being synonymous with "thing I don't like."

I was someone who put up with a decent amount of grief on here for saying DA2 was still a tactical CRPG, just a really shitty one. I told people fast animations and some very minor action elements didn't change what the game fundamentally was. I played that game with all automatic ability use off, placing my characters and switching to them as needed to do spells and special attacks. It was a (shitty) tactical RPG.

Inquisition is an action game.
I agree with what you say about DA2, but could you please explain a bit why DAI is different?
For me, it plays pretty much like DA2, with a more actiony edge with the 3rd person camera, but still pretty much the same, albeit with even more ridiculous HP bloat and dare I say it worse encounter design.
But I'm really not that great analizing how systems works in depth, so I may be saying gibberish

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I agree with what you say about DA2, but could you please explain a bit why DAI is different?
For me, it plays pretty much like DA2, with a more actiony edge with the 3rd person camera, but still pretty much the same, albeit with even more ridiculous HP bloat and dare I say it worse encounter design.
But I'm really not that great analizing how systems works in depth, so I may be saying gibberish

I've already explained it more than once, I don't feel like doing it again. Go back a few pages and find my other post. The biggest issue is having to move around and basically "aim" to hit enemies.

Slow James

Savant
Cracks mods will fix it, right?

Nope. Denuvo would make any sort of cracking a nightmare, but Frostbite 3 makes modding as difficult as coding the game from scratch. BF4 (first game on FB3) took close to a year to see the first mod, which was a simple graphics re-texture. To date, very few mods exist for the game and it's not looking like much of the work done for BF modding will be able to carryover to DA:I.

What you see is what the game will be, for at least a year. If not more.

Last edited:

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I've already explained it more than once, I don't feel like doing it again. Go back a few pages and find my other post. The biggest issue is having to move around and basically "aim" to hit enemies.
But, with the "tactical camera", clunky as it is, let you play it pretty much without having to move around or "aim". It's pretty much a point & click gameplay.

Only when you're playing in 3rd person view, and specially with melee characters, it feels more action oriented than DA2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But, with the "tactical camera", clunky as it is, let you play it pretty much without having to move around or "aim". It's pretty much a point & click gameplay.

Only when you're playing in 3rd person view, and specially with melee characters, it feels more action oriented than DA2.

Tactical camera, as far as I have seen, does not make combat point & click, or remove the need to move to enemies as they move and manually attack them. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron

Tactical camera, as far as I have seen, does not make combat point & click, or remove the need to move to enemies as they move and manually attack them. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Ok, i try to explain what I mean. Maybe I'm talking about totally different things altogheter. Bare in mind I play it on PS4, so I use a controller.

When you activate the "tactical camera", the game automatically pauses. You control a coursor, not the characters itselfs, and you point what you want them to do (go with the cursor to an enemy, press X, and automatically would be selected to attack him. Same with moving the characters from place to place). You have to hold the atack button (R2) in order the time to flow, and all selected tasks will be carried over by the characters.

That's pretty much what I mean about "point & click", only this time you have to hold a botton in order to be in real time and not paused.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ok, i try to explain what I mean. Maybe I'm talking about totally different things altogheter. Bare in mind I play it on PS4, so I use a controller.

When you activate the "tactical camera", the game automatically pauses. You control a coursor, not the characters itselfs, and you point what you want them to do (go with the cursor to an enemy, press X, and automatically would be selected to attack him. Same with moving the characters from place to place). You have to hold the atack button (R2) in order the time to flow, and all selected tasks will be carried over by the characters.

That's pretty much what I mean about "point & click", only this time you have to hold a botton in order to be in real time and not paused.

Oh I see what you're getting at. That's not auto-attack, that's auto-battle. You are putting everyone into AI control at that point and only choosing targets in general, not managing abilities or movement. I mean... I guess that's auto-attack for trash mobs. I dunno. I don't think it's the same thing. Fair point though, if you want you can just let the computer do all the work in trash mob situations.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron

Oh I see what you're getting at. That's not auto-attack, that's auto-battle. You are putting everyone into AI control at that point and only choosing targets in general, not managing abilities or movement. I mean... I guess that's auto-attack for trash mobs. I dunno. I don't think it's the same thing. Fair point though, if you want you can just let the computer do all of it in trash mob situations.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with auto-battle.

As far as my experience with this game goes, you issue commands, be it normal attack or abilities, and the characters will carry them over pretty much like every point&click game would do. Once the command is done, they start to attack automatically for themselves if you are controlling that character, or if not, they will start to behave like retards.

Slow James

Savant
Oh I see what you're getting at. That's not auto-attack, that's auto-battle. You are putting everyone into AI control at that point and only choosing targets in general, not managing abilities or movement. I mean... I guess that's auto-attack for trash mobs. I dunno. I don't think it's the same thing. Fair point though, if you want you can just let the computer do all the work in trash mob situations.

Really?

God fucking damnit. They finally give you the ability to just let the game play based off of the Tactics set up... but they castrate the Tactics system in the same stroke? What kind of idiocy is that?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't buy yet, but probably will. At some point. Discounted.
So far, I found all Bioware games (from NWN2 on) to be good games, though certainly not good RPGs. And also certainly not good enough to justify a day 1 purchase.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Dragon Age 2, for all its faults, was Origins on speed more than anything else. This plays more like Kingdoms or Amalur than Dragon Age Origins.

Hmmm, playing more like Amalur instead of DA:O would actually be an improvement--does it DA3 really play like that?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
So far, I found all Bioware games (from NWN2 on) to be good games, though certainly not good RPGs. And also certainly not good enough to justify a day 1 purchase.

Inb4 300 replies:

NWN2 is an Obsidian game, not Bioware, and it's not really a good game, you have to really fight against it and mod the crap out of all the bugs and then it's more generally termable as a good game.

Dragon Age 2, for all its faults, was Origins on speed more than anything else. This plays more like Kingdoms or Amalur than Dragon Age Origins.

Hmmm, playing more like Amalur instead of DA:O would actually be an improvement--does it DA3 really play like that?
in 3rd person with controller while playing as a warrior? yes if you unlock dodge/parry abilities

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Inb4 300 replies:

NWN2 is an Obsidian game, not Bioware, and it's not really a good game, you have to really fight against it and mod the crap out of all the bugs and then it's more generally termable as a good game.
Yeah, I keep on forgetting that as the game (at least the OC) is just so bad.
That whole sentence of mine was pretty screwed, I actually meant the time of release of NWN2, and not that NWN2 was a good game. I think from that point on, I had my current perception if Bioware Games.

The only thing that changed is that since ME3, I hope that they do not screw up all endings...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom