Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] Let's settle this - did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

• Yes

Votes: 65 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 536 89.2%

• Total voters

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One thing I wasn't counting on was what a fucking pain in the ass it would be to get this thing to actually run at all. I assumed that EA would release something playable out of the box. (Turns out I'm stupid. Who knew?) Took me about 3 hours of testing graphics settings and CPU affinities before I got it a) to run and b) to run with graphics that didn't burn my eyes, yet at a decent framerate. (Tip: make sure Mesh quality is High+ to eliminate the awful "shiny hair" effect.)

Once I got past that stage I forgot my frustration completely and mainlined a straight 6 hours in the game with no crashes or other tech issues. This fucker is an Achiever's fever dream: walk towards map point quest marker, trip over half a dozen more quests on the way there, and for each one you pursue, you trip over a half dozen more quests or activities. I mean Jesus Christ. Very much an up until 4AM "just let me finish one more thing" type of game.

At the same time, I'm not a complete Achiever lunatic, so I got to prioritize which quests I cared about and which I didn't, which felt good. Food and blankets for starving refugees? OK, that's important. Finding some isolationist hermit to tell him his brother is dead? ... Yeah, that can wait 'til later. So I felt motivated to do the things I chose to do.

I took DalekFlay's advice and went with an archer since I wanted to play a Rogue anyway, and based on criticism of the combat here I just went with Normal difficulty so I don't have to pay attention to it much or use the subpar pause-and-command camera. I feel good about both decisions. Thanks for the input, folks.

I guess this isn't a review thread or whatever, but whatever. Bottom line: so far I don't feel as if I wasted my money. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I took DalekFlay's advice and went with an archer since I wanted to play a Rogue anyway, and based on criticism of the combat here I just went with Normal difficulty so I don't have to pay attention to it much or use the subpar pause-and-command camera. I feel good about both decisions. Thanks for the input, folks.

I'm playing on hard and still very rarely need to command my squad. Quests below your level are a cake-walk either way and even stuff that's challenging doesn't require pause and play tactics, more just knowing what to do and when to do it. I did a long undead dungeon today and at the end I had 0 potions left and a half-dead team, and it was relatively exhilarating. I'm not telling you to switch though, it really depends on what you want to get out of it.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
One thing I wasn't counting on was what a fucking pain in the ass it would be to get this thing to actually run at all. I assumed that EA would release something playable out of the box. (Turns out I'm stupid. Who knew?) Took me about 3 hours of testing graphics settings and CPU affinities before I got it a) to run and b) to run with graphics that didn't burn my eyes, yet at a decent framerate. (Tip: make sure Mesh quality is High+ to eliminate the awful "shiny hair" effect.)

Once I got past that stage I forgot my frustration completely and mainlined a straight 6 hours in the game with no crashes or other tech issues. This fucker is an Achiever's fever dream: walk towards map point quest marker, trip over half a dozen more quests on the way there, and for each one you pursue, you trip over a half dozen more quests or activities. I mean Jesus Christ. Very much an up until 4AM "just let me finish one more thing" type of game.

At the same time, I'm not a complete Achiever lunatic, so I got to prioritize which quests I cared about and which I didn't, which felt good. Food and blankets for starving refugees? OK, that's important. Finding some isolationist hermit to tell him his brother is dead? ... Yeah, that can wait 'til later. So I felt motivated to do the things I chose to do.

I guess this isn't a review thread or whatever, but whatever. Bottom line: so far I don't feel as if I wasted my money. Stay tuned.

I started as a mage but they are that much fun to play, and without big Massive Cloud of Instant Death or interesting cc pells. So after a few hours i restarted as an archer, i think my first rogue in an RPG ever. I like the implementation of the archer in dai. Im also playing on normal, any higher you may need the tac cam which is useless right now or acts like an extra enemy you have to fight.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
His description of the quests you'll encounter in DAI is accurate.

Next to wonderful quests there is just so much of great fighting and so much to collect and search for. I still wonder though, why there was yet no tower to climb to get into the next area.

His comment is quite ultrapromkXI hilarious, but this pre-closure sentence really takes the cake.

So, which one of you guys is it?

Deleted member 7219

let's get dat refund

alert.png

You are clearly a self-hating, raging homosexual.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
No, I did not buy DAI. I was fully intending to do so, but my friend surprised me and bought it for me as a birthday gift. If you're wondering why I wanted to buy the game: 1. the multiplayer is more fun than the actual game, 2. my OCD got the better of me, and I decided there's no way I'm playing this without going to DA Keep and setting the choices from previous games.

hell bovine

Arcane
I bought the game too, but won't play for some time, because I got distracted by IWD and the shiny new version of Requiem. It was cheaper than DOS, though, and that one was a disappointment.

imweasel

I did buy it, but I got a refund because the game is huge fucking turd and by far the worst piece of shit Bioware has ever produced. So no. :smug:

I have fond memories of Pre-SJW Bioware and also enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins. Such a shame to see them fall so far.

uaciaut

Augur
Don't think i've ever bought a game without pirating and playing it first, and no game is worth its cost within the first 1-2 years and afterwards without a sale (unless you have too much money on your hands and are too lazy).

Anyway i'll give this a shot at one point depending on how much time i have on my hands because i think huge budget games can be a fun distraction for a short while. Not expecting this to be memorable at all, but that's fine.

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I bought it - mostly to write about it. However... the game was vapeous, dull and I haven't even worked up the energy to really write about it. Its a mixture of bland MMO game play with bland bioware cliches. There were a few good moments in the game - but its so full of tedium. There's maybe 15 different enemies in the game if that... at most. They are in all the areas, and each area has the same quests more or less - a bunch of collection fetch quests, a few portal quests, and a few wander around things. Those few times where the regional quests were different it was stuff that wasn't that good. In one area there's a set of pillar inscribing puzzles. You had to hit the pillars in the order that the story goes. This was dumbfounding the enemies - all you had to do was read it and build a basic paragraph. It made the enemy look incredibly stupid not to be able to do it. And making a mistake? All it did was a fight against a few more demons that you've fought 1000 times... despite this area having nothing to do with the portals or demons in general.

Most of the characters were eh or bland - and they did nothing until you talked to them. It was mmo reactivity - things happen only when you talk to the character. The game play with the 8 skill bar - active attacks and such was mmoish and the targeting system was a mess. The "Tactical Cam" wasn't even properly ported over from console and left with controller controls essentially on PC. The skills lose any attempt to continue after about level 12-13 as the games development pewters out in the midgame. And its impossible to make a mistake on skill choices as there's a nice handy skill reset button right there.

The game continues my style of thought that openworld is in many cases against a narrative story. the openworld distracted from any chance the narrative had of working because it broke it. A few ideas- make the war table things exclusive - things expire when you don't do them. Yes you have to work to get that power - and give the game an ingame clock. it needed some looming threat, urgency and pressure as the plot was desperately lacking that. Make choices matter... I mean cosmetics don't count bioware on that. You want to advertise choice and consequences and such - narrative causality is what I hold you to.

I have more thoughts on it and should probably write it up to disagree with the person who did the review but blah. The game is bland. Its not awful I guess - but its kinda like Kingdoms of Amalur - its big, its somewhat shiny and its completely bog standard.

There was one character I did like more - Cole stood out somewhat for me as he was interesting especially with the conversations he had with the elf. Just was a different beat then a lot of the game.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
No, I haven't bought a Dragon Age game since the first one. Absolutely ruined what little good the first one had.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom