Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] Let's settle this - did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

• Yes

Votes: 65 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 536 89.2%

• Total voters

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Because if a AAA company didn't have 1st day sales then they'd likely go bankrupt or be disowned by their publisher? Yes, everyone should wait for patches... but some people like the whole support the genre you like thing don't they...
"they think they'll probably dislike"

It makes sense for Volourn to get it asap. Others, less so.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

I seriously doubt people are buying games they think they'll probably dislike. That's sort-of twisting the concept of "what the heck, how bad can it be, my curiosity meter is bleeping"

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
well, for starters, i don't mind mmos, and i'm eaks/ekas with explorer usually scoring around 95-100%.
I used to score similarly, only I was more of a Killer, but these days, my gameplay preferences have become so distorted that I can no longer fit into the typical Killer/Achiever/Explorer/Socializer model well. Where does "Auction House Guy" and "Gold Farmer" fit?
fits just fine under achiever, even if the original test doesn't reflect that.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
1) "no RTwP games have tactical combat." I think that's absurd, so we have the root cause of our disagreement.
I didn't say that they have no tactical combat whatsoever but it's clearly not an area of focus. I mean you could just as well argue that the Mass Effect games are tacticool because you can order your squadmates around while paused but to argue that they have good tactical gameplay would be erroneous. It might be more tactical than GoW, but that means very little. The virtue of the IE games is that the combat is swift and satisfying, something I found DA:O not to be. Tactics Ogre they are not, nor are they Combat Mission or any other tactical game series.

Again, you said it was "tactical and fluid", I simply disagreed with that assessment.

2) what RPGs even have multiclassing? You must hate 99% of all RPGs, even most of the D&D ones? What an oddly specific thing to choose as a value-marker for all RPGs.
I found DA:O boring, I don't hate it. Sure there are other ways to make character development interesting, a classless system for example can be fun too. Just regular classes can be decent too if you get to make a whole party and not just one character. I brought it up because it's one area where it's a step down from what came before from the same devs. When you strip everything that was good about BG2 from it there's just a high budget shovelware game left.

3) "character building is shit compared to most RPGs". Most Codex faves like PoR barely have character customization at all except for char creation. Most Infinity games are like this as well. Level up screens barely have more interaction than you clicking OK. Contrast to DA:O which has skill points and talents. Like VD outlines in his review, those talents are pretty broad.
I found the system rather unbalanced and very bland but maybe they have patched that since I played it.

4) I'd give it a solid B I guess, at least if we're actually comparing it to other RPGs that actually exist and not some standard of the perfect RPG that doesn't exist.
Good combat centric and a few story centric CRPGs does exist but just because they aren't coming out in abundance doesn't mean that we should put them on a pedestal. There need not be a perfect RPG, good is enough and it just needs to perform well in one area to appeal to me, unfortunately DA:O didn't. :Roguey:

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's not surprising that dozens of people talking about a thing makes it seem like everyone's talking about said thing. I think we always go through this.

It boggles my mind how people buy and play RPGs they think they'll probably dislike on release when they're at their absolute worst. In 99% of cases it's better to wait at least a few months/patches, and unless it's doing Skyrim sales, it'll be discounted too (well, retail anyway, Steam's rules are a bit different). DA:O is part of the 1% where they made it even more unstable after the second patch, but I doubt I will turn out the same way.

Because if a AAA company didn't have 1st day sales then they'd likely go bankrupt or be disowned by their publisher? Yes, everyone should wait for patches... but some people like the whole support the genre you like thing don't they...
Honestly, Bioware stopped making RPGs since Dragon Age: Origins so I don't know what people are talking about buying this shit to support the RPG genre. I'm an unrepentant nihilist, I prefer Bioware burning while I watch and have alot of fun with my Biodrone enemies crushed, driven before me and hear the lamentation of their imaginary women.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Honestly, Bioware stopped making RPGs since Dragon Age: Origins so I don't know what people are talking about buying this shit to support the RPG genre. I'm an unrepentant nihilist, I prefer Bioware burning while I watch and have alot of fun with my Biodrone enemies crushed, driven before me and hear the lamentation of their imaginary women.

Brofist

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Goat Vomit:

1) What does that even mean? So there are RTwP games that are tactical (contrary to what you've just spend two posts saying), but they're not really tactical. Name some games that are really tactical and describe how RTwP games like the IE-games or Dragon Age are not.

2) It's not a step down. It's a completely different system. That system is less complex, which is a shame, but it's not a step down because there's no multi-classing. It's a step down because it is less complex (however as VD points out, a step up since there's more to do).

3) There are no cRPG system that are not unbalanced. Provide context (as in, example of similar games) and tell me which comparable games are less unbalanced and therefore better, to a point that invalidates my point that DA:O is a good - but not great - game. Or, alternatively, say that you dislike all RTwP games for the same reason (in which case I'd call it absurd for reasons posted earlier).

4) I'm not putting anything on a pedestal. I'm giving it a score in accordance with reality, not by comparing it to hypothetical standards that no known games have lived up to.

shadow9d9

Learned
It's not surprising that dozens of people talking about a thing makes it seem like everyone's talking about said thing. I think we always go through this.

It boggles my mind how people buy and play RPGs they think they'll probably dislike on release when they're at their absolute worst. In 99% of cases it's better to wait at least a few months/patches, and unless it's doing Skyrim sales, it'll be discounted too (well, retail anyway, Steam's rules are a bit different). DA:O is part of the 1% where they made it even more unstable after the second patch, but I doubt I will turn out the same way.

DA:O was unplayable to me due to terrible and way too close camera, in addition to having to program your characters rather than actually play them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I seriously doubt people are buying games they think they'll probably dislike. That's sort-of twisting the concept of "what the heck, how bad can it be, my curiosity meter is bleeping"

Yeah. Also gradient enjoyment scales. Codex likes to pretend something is either AMAZING or TOTAL SHIT when in fact most things are "okay" or "decent enough" or "hey I need to get away from the kids and I don't play shooters." I expected DA2 combat, which was serviceable, in a large open world, which was intruiging. What we got was somehow worse than even that. Yet I still would put the game in the "serviceable time waster" category rather than TOTAL SHIT. But hey, everyone has a different standard.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Sure i bought it. I regularly buy games i suspect may be entertaining. When buying games (or other entertainment, hobby stuff) i dont make a serious study of reviews or desperately seek post purchase confirmation on the net. Its not like its a big investment which validates a longdrawn decision process. And when a game stops entertaining i just stop playing and move on to the next. It just cannot be simpler. Sofar im entertained, when approaching it as an action rpg, with nice cutscenes, and some good c&c quests. BWs supposed agenda pushing, i really dont give a shit, it just provides another source of entertainment, when i find something incredibly silly, we regularly have a good laugh, as in WTF were they thinking...! It doesnt detract from the gameplay whatsoever. That all said, the hate threads are also very entertaining, although as some mentioned it seems a bit silly to play through the game while you dont like it (and not getting paid for the priviledge). We all have only so much time, but whatever floats your boat i guess. So all things considered DAI has sofar been a major source of entertainment, in various ways.

Sinatar

Arbiter
The Dragon Age thread is over 400 pages, but only 40 claim to have bought it. lol.

pippin

No, partly because my pc is crap, but also because I think it's enough with Origins and I don't feel like continuing the story (in fact, escaping with Morrigan was good enough for me as an ending to my character).

Whiran

Magister
I didn't say that they have no tactical combat whatsoever but it's clearly not an area of focus. I mean you could just as well argue that the Mass Effect games are tacticool because you can order your squadmates around while paused but to argue that they have good tactical gameplay would be erroneous. It might be more tactical than GoW, but that means very little. The virtue of the IE games is that the combat is swift and satisfying, something I found DA:O not to be. Tactics Ogre they are not, nor are they Combat Mission or any other tactical game series.
Maybe now is a good time for you to define what you mean by tactical in your use.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Yeah. Also gradient enjoyment scales. Codex likes to pretend something is either AMAZING or TOTAL SHIT when in fact most things are "okay" or "decent enough" or "hey I need to get away from the kids and I don't play shooters." I expected DA2 combat, which was serviceable, in a large open world, which was intruiging. What we got was somehow worse than even that. Yet I still would put the game in the "serviceable time waster" category rather than TOTAL SHIT. But hey, everyone has a different standard.
Man, I'm not even expecting a good RPG from Bioware for a LONG time, that horse is dead and buried and I know they making BG 3 is out of question and a really bad idea based on the people that compose the company now. I knew this game wouldn't be a game from old Bioware as that is dead and buried.

I just wanted a fun open world game to kill shit like the cool popamole kids do these days but good lord... I don't like the SJW but that isn't a deal breaker, what is a deal breaker is that on a game where you are supposed to kill shit, alot of shit... if killing shit isn't fun and you don't have a clue of what the fuck is happening most of the times on the combat and playing on nightmare is an exercise of frustration with the awful tactical camera, that is enough to classify this game as total shit even for popamole standards.

Maybe storyfags and MMO people are going to love this game but the combat is so awful that my action combat fag sensibilities are desinterested and my storyfag sensibilities are really unimpressed with the usual Bioware cheap tactic for narrative design.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Man, I'm not even expecting a good RPG from Bioware for a LONG time, that horse is dead and buried and I know they making BG 3 is out of question and a really bad idea based on the people that compose the company now. I knew this game wouldn't be a game from old Bioware as that is dead and buried.

I just wanted a fun open world game to kill shit like the cool popamole kids do these days but good lord... I don't like the SJW but that isn't a deal breaker, what is a deal breaker is that on a game where you are supposed to kill shit, alot of shit... if killing shit isn't fun and you don't have a clue of what the fuck is happening most of the times on the combat and playing on nightmare is an exercise of frustration with the awful tactical camera, that is enough to classify this game as total shit even for popamole standards.

Maybe storyfags and MMO people are going to love this game but the combat is so awful that my action combat fag sensibilities are desinterested and my storyfag sensibilities are really unimpressed with the usual Bioware cheap tactic for narrative design.

I felt that way about combat until I switched to an archer. Now it's pretty painless. It can even be tactical and entertaining in some of the main story missions (though not often).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
4) I'd give it a solid B I guess, at least if we're actually comparing it to other RPGs that actually exist and not some standard of the perfect RPG that doesn't exist.
Wait what. No seriously what.

Please tell me I'm confused by this thread and you're talking about DAO not I.

Turjan

Arcane
Wait what. No seriously what.

Please tell me I'm confused by this thread and you're talking about DAO not I.
You're confused by this thread and he's talking about DAO not I.

Feeling better?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
let's get dat refund

alert.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom