Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll - Best Obsidian game so far

Best Obsidian game so far?

• Total voters

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
1. New Vegas
2. MotB
3. PoE
4. KotOR 2
5. Alpha Protocol
6. NWN2 OC

New Vegas wins because of quests, scope, reactivity and support for different playstyles whereas MotB has the best writing and story.

Andkat

Educated
Mask of the Betrayer. As silly as the engine can be at times, I also prefer NWN2 to PoE mechanically, if only because the character system lets you do more interesting things (the spellcasting is also better). F: NV had a great setting, but at the end of the day Gamebryo is a pretty unpleasant engine to have to play a game in (the NWN2 camera wasn't THAT bad...).

I also played Mask of the Betrayer before PS:T, so it was at the time best RPG, in a narrative sense, that I had ever played (and I still rank it very close to Torment in this respect).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It really wasn't, at least post-patch. Rumours of its badness have been greatly exaggerated. DAO's was much worse.

Stompa

Arcane
It really wasn't, at least post-patch. Rumours of its badness have been greatly exaggerated. DAO's was much worse.

It still had a tendency to take a position really close to characters whenever you moved them to an elevated place on the map. That's p. bad no matter how you look at it.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Still love KOTOR 2 but have to change my vote to MotB now that the poll is proper.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
hqdefault.jpg

Duckard

Augur
MoTB. I liked the narrative of MoTB best, and there's not much else that really stands out in a positive way in any of their games.

Actually, that's kind of my problem with Obisidian. If half of what you do is kill things, then killing things should be pretty damn fun. I suppose it's not fair to single them out-- a lot of RPGs are pretty bad about this, and don't have the writing to make up for it.

Ivan

Arcane
What I loved about Torment was that most (if not all) of its quest were informed by the Nameless One's dilemma.

Kotor 1 and 2 devolved into landing on a new planet, meeting mundane characters, solving their problems, and only then would some of your companions chime in with (sometimes) interesting dialogue.

Alpha Protocol carried this tradition but had fantastically bad third person action carry its weight.

I've not played the BG games but Pillars it feels much more distant than Kotor or Torment. The compas just seem to want to tag along, only Mother and Durance seem connected to you somehow.

New Vegas was awesome. I remember Vault 17, I remember Boone and his lust for vengeance, I remember Mr. House. The gameplay sucked, it was actually like Alpha Protocol done right.

Pillars>New Vegas>>>Kotor 2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alpha Protocol

Playing MotB right now.

I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Kaelyn's voice. It's so soothing. Just like Fall From Grace's

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Good to see someone else voted dungeon siege 3. :troll:
But srs, their best game is MoB (which is an expansion), best full game would be PoE imo.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codex cannot into 3D camera, nomatter what games are we talking about.

Unless it's a first person rpg or third person single character over the shoulder (like gothic) the camera should be fixed and allow, at best, zooming in/out. Otherwise developers get lazy with level design and the camera becomes a huge annoyance no matter what you play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom