Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POE2 plays itself?

potatojohn

Arcane
So I've been trying POE2 and I'm on the second city now.

So far it's been more like playing a movie than a game. The automatic AI works so well I've no reason to even examine abilities/spells and with the formulaic dialogue I don't have to think about it (or even read 90% of it)

I just hold tab and click on boxes and enemies. It's like a RTS without the strategy.

Is this intended? Should I be playing on a harder difficulty (I'm playing on classic or whatever it's called)

I don't remember POE1 being like this.

Discuss.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm playing on classic

common mistake

many such cases!

but yeah it deffo isn't the hardest of gaems

although personally i disabled all party member AI except for autoattacking because the way they auto-use abilities is fairly tarded I found

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
although personally i disabled all party member AI except for autoattacking because the way they auto-use abilities is fairly tarded I found

This. Programmable AI setups might be good for some people, but I always turn these off in every game. I want my characters to do what I want, not what the game wants.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I love the programmable AI for abilities that I cast/activate anyway at the start of combat. For example I always have my priest cast a certain blessing at the start of combat and have my fighter activate disciplined barrage when he is engaged with an enemy. Just diminishes the micro a bit.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
A lot of people complain about PoE1 being too complex even on lowest difficulty setting. RTwP is frantic and chaotic even if there's no particular challenge.

I played Divinity Original Sin 2 in coop with my wife and she enjoyed tactical combat. But to my surprise when I gave her to try Dragon Age Origins she turned on AI and never switched to tactical mode. I myself never saw those AI setups as anything beyond little helpers in trash fights when you can kill everyone with a simple attack, I haven't even noticed when they added it to PoE1. But for a lot of people an option to switch to other characters is excessive, they want to play as a specific character hanging out with friends who do everything themselves - even when they're OK with tactical combat in turn-based games like DOS or XCOM or Heroes.

Shadenuat

Arcane
PoTD now is like IE normal, but even less lethal, since there are no save or die spells or permanent damage to party.

Somewhere inbetween levels 6 to 12 you can still be one-shotted by some op sawyer fangirl rogues but that quickly pass.

And level scaling doesn't work properly if all.

Modders will fix it let's ask Infinitron to ask Josh press that Heart of Fury button already.

How many patches did it take to make White March lagufaeth death fuckers, 5?

The party member AI settings in PoE2 are actually quite advanced, if you play around with them. I managed to configure them to set the entire party to develop a better RPG.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Have you tried tackling quests with two or three skulls OP? There are ways to make it challenging.

Most of the time I'm okay with AI clearing trash mobs, they are not worthy of my involvement.

Citizen

Programmable AI
"Plays itself"

So much hype about the omega clone.

2692_4abb24427dac8.jpg

A lot of people complain about PoE1 being too complex even on lowest difficulty setting. RTwP is frantic and chaotic even if there's no particular challenge.

I played Divinity Original Sin 2 in coop with my wife and she enjoyed tactical combat. But to my surprise when I gave her to try Dragon Age Origins she turned on AI and never switched to tactical mode. I myself never saw those AI setups as anything beyond little helpers in trash fights when you can kill everyone with a simple attack, I haven't even noticed when they added it to PoE1. But for a lot of people an option to switch to other characters is excessive, they want to play as a specific character hanging out with friends who do everything themselves - even when they're OK with tactical combat in turn-based games like DOS or XCOM or Heroes.
You've clearly never played Final Fantasy XII, a game that came out TWELVE FUCKING YEARS AGO and whose automation (Gambits) goes so far beyond every other game that's tried it since, that it's actually laughable. I think I actually laughed out loud when DAO desperately tried to copy the idea but failed miserably because of blatant incompetence. Not much has changed.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
You've clearly never played Final Fantasy XII, a game that came out TWELVE FUCKING YEARS AGO and whose automation (Gambits) goes so far beyond every other game that's tried it since, that it's actually laughable.

This. You could do hours long complex boss battles without ever touching the controller. That's how sophisticated the FF XII gambit system was.

potatojohn

Arcane
No guys, you don't understand. I didn't modify the AI. That at least would have been interesting.

When I started the game party AI was just on and the game has been playing itself

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So I've been trying POE2 and I'm on the second city now.

So far it's been more like playing a movie than a game. The automatic AI works so well I've no reason to even examine abilities/spells and with the formulaic dialogue I don't have to think about it (or even read 90% of it)

I just hold tab and click on boxes and enemies. It's like a RTS without the strategy.

Is this intended? Should I be playing on a harder difficulty (I'm playing on classic or whatever it's called)

I don't remember POE1 being like this.

Discuss.
I killed the final MECH on hard,the one above classic with just unpausing and using healing spells from time to time. If i didn't use healing spells i would have still won but a few people would have fallen uncontentious.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Its not hard to figure out what happened: The game difficulty (along with other gameplay "enhancements") has been balanced for the console market.

It's probably why the mainstream gaming media has been jacking off to it in their reviews.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
You've clearly never played Final Fantasy XII, a game that came out TWELVE FUCKING YEARS AGO and whose automation (Gambits) goes so far beyond every other game that's tried it since, that it's actually laughable. I think I actually laughed out loud when DAO desperately tried to copy the idea but failed miserably because of blatant incompetence. Not much has changed.

I fail to see how you came to this conclusion. I played FF12. It has a completely different philosophy from everything I've described. Players who hate RTwP party-based combat just want to control a single character while others do their thing. Gambit system is so involved and connected to game systems - you have to actually buy new conditions for actions - so that tweaking it is more or less necessary. In DAO/2/I they more or less succeded at making a game you can play even if you hate RTwP combat: even if you don't touch AI configuration they perform adequately for you to complete the game on normal difficulty. In PoE1 you had to get involved in combat on any difficulty controlling 6 characters with various abilities, even with patches they didn't perform well.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Only way to achieve perfect balance is to have the game play itself so the player won't disrupt its careful design :littlemissfun:

While it was a joke, I'm completely sure - no jokes - that this is a #sadfuture of gamedev, at least in some genres.
Given the laziness of mainstram crowd, and how someone said "someone want to control one dude and pretend others are friends so hi don't want to contol them", and game-movies like Heavy Rain and such - actually we can expect more and more of "game plays itself while player boasts how good hesheit was to beat the game".
You just need to creata illusion that it was a player who did major impact on\for winning the game - and that not a hard task, you just need to make players actions to have multiplicative/catalyst effect, so without his actions AI-managed party members coudn't win a fight.

Keith Brown

Literate
They have already addressed that difficulty is off and said it will be adjusted in a patch soon.

Matticus

Educated
I think the AI is enabled by default if you don't select Expert Mode. Probably should have a separate option for it in the beginning of the game. I enabled Expert Mode in the beginning but the lack of contextual cues makes me regret it. I'd recommend against enabling it.

The difficulty wasn't tuned properly this time around. They made an effort to fix bugs instead, which is consistent with their overall endeavor to appeal to a wider audience -- a smart move on the business side of things, and dumb move on the smartness side of things.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom