Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE LORE

Iznaliu

Arbiter
-Plot lines concieved by some kind of 15th level mage in a secluded basement.

Now we know Sawyer's class and level.

Palomides

Augur
fuck vailians and whoever created them.

turning renaissance italians into your local black to keep the diversity crowds happy. imagine had it been the other way around.

Palomides

Augur
How very telling that the crowds here claim such a view as 'retarded'. Shame on you, Codex.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I barely knew what I was doing half the time. I think the lore could have been presented much better, the only parts I enjoyed were Waiden's Legacy (the hollowborn (i think)), I didn't understand much other stuff, I didn't even know who Eothas was until the Deadfire trailer to be honest.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Nothing in particular "kept me going", but I was (and still am) curious about the fate of the Engwithans. I don't know whether it was explained, but I haven't understood the exact causes and chain of events that made Engwithans disappear, or indeed cause them to surrender their souls in the creation of artificial gods seemingly so easily.

Speaking of which, it seems strange that thousands of Engwithans would let themselves be sacrificed for apparently no good reason at all, for stopping wars and suffering, and achieving peace, can only be meaningful if someone actually remains to enjoy the fruits of it.

Although, POE lore does mention "domain(s) of the gods", and whilst these gods are artificial and made out of souls, it is also shown how this domain has other creatures, usually animals. Animals too have souls and perhaps a measure of intelligence and "soul" memory. Perhaps Engwithans did not in fact die or became extinct, perhaps they actually ascended to their own "artificial heavens" of sorts. If they could create gods, little would stop them from creating heavens. Perhaps the entire procedure of sacrifice was devised in a way to create an higher being capable of creating and maintaining its own realm/domain, and through it - enable the Engwithans to escape the "normal reality" which would see their souls forever slaves to the cycle of death and rebirth.

The conflict between Woedica and other gods is a strange one. It seems Woedica wants to be "the one god" above all else (not just all the other gods), whilst other gods seemingly have no issue with other peoples' ultimately finding a way to immortality, power, heaven and what not. Since these gods aren't actual God, but have imperfections and limitations (even being vulnerable to death), perhaps Woedica fears future potential opponents, and therefore is at odds with other gods. All this, of course, assuming that other gods did not actually lie to the protagonist when they told him that they have no issues with animancy etc., and that they did not simply resort to a necessary lie to stop Woedica.

Sizzle

Arcane
Nothing in particular "kept me going", but I was (and still am) curious about the fate of the Engwithans. I don't know whether it was explained, but I haven't understood the exact causes and chain of events that made Engwithans disappear, or indeed cause them to surrender their souls in the creation of artificial gods seemingly so easily.

Play TWM, it's explained a bit more there. It's also much better than the base game in every aspect.

The conflict between Woedica and other gods is a strange one. It seems Woedica wants to be "the one god" above all else (not just all the other gods), whilst other gods seemingly have no issue with other peoples' ultimately finding a way to immortality, power, heaven and what not. Since these gods aren't actual God, but have imperfections and limitations (even being vulnerable to death), perhaps Woedica fears future potential opponents, and therefore is at odds with other gods. All this, of course, assuming that other gods did not actually lie to the protagonist when they told him that they have no issues with animancy etc., and that they did not simply resort to a necessary lie to stop Woedica.

It's how they were designed and created. Woedica is a Goddess of the old order, the unchanging rules, and codes. She's opposed (in that aspect at least, because the Gods make and break alliances between themselves - based on their different and intermingling dogmas - all the time) by the Gods that do believe in change and helping the kith reach their full potential: Magran, Abydon and Galawain.

Zibniyat

Arcane

Play TWM, it's explained a bit more there. It's also much better than the base game in every aspect.

I intend so.

It's how they were designed and created. Woedica is a Goddess of the old order, the unchanging rules, and codes. She's opposed (in that aspect at least, because the Gods make and break alliances between themselves - based on their different and intermingling dogmas - all the time) by the Gods that do believe in change and helping the kith reach their full potential: Magran, Abydon and Galawain.

Under the assumption that these gods don't actually lie. Also, even if "designed and created" they either have their own will, or they do not. If they do, then the fact that they were designed will not have absolute sway over their actions, which means that they may do things "outside" intended design. If they do not (have their own will), then they're simply entities doing someone else's bidding, presumably that of the (allegedly) extinct Engwithans. But Engwithans were just like everyone else, entering conflicts and waging wars, and together with the fact how they were pretty advanced in some areas, it would be a huge logical leap to assume how they'd have no issues with someone else ultimately bringing about the creation of some other gods - perhaps even gods that could, in theory, undo the Engwithan ones.

I think these gods are lying, and that they do not actually like each other much, and dislike "lesser" beings even more. Engwithans designed them, but Engwithans were prone to conflict. It is easy to assume, and there is ample evidence to prove so already (death of Eothas, Woedica's ambitions), that Engwithans incorporated their own flaws into the design. Engwithans weren't perfect and could never create something perfect; hence, it is actually true that these gods can err, and err they do.

Sizzle

Arcane
Yup, they err. A lot.

As for their actions and conflicting agendas, I always assumed that that was the way they were made - with a sort of general set of actions and ideas, that they, more or less, usually adhere to. Except when they don't.

Like I said, you'll see more of this when you play TWM. You'll even be able to call them out on their BS.

ColCol

Arcane
I liked the lore about the origins and the true nature of the gods, it will be interesting if they actually focus on it in the game's sequel. I doubt they will though.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I found most of it pretty interesting to be honest. Especially the gods and the hollowborn crisis. The Grieving Mother's story and how it relates to the hollowborn is pretty great I think, it's just a shame that she comes across more as goth teen when you speak with her. I can't stand her manner of speaking.

It was pretty breathtaking observing the exercise in futility that is grieving mother. It's like a bloated, bulging leviathan ready to burst. I wondered if it was some torturous in-joke until the finale. The punchline it its sheer existence, I guess.

And everything surrounding durance was somewhat alright for a video game.

What is up with the retards on this forum.
Whats up wuth trolls on this forums whats the point of posting on obs related subforum if you hate their game(s).

RepHope

Savant
I thought the background lore was interesting, but the way it was used in PoE itself to be very boring. I also think it was a really dumbass idea to reveal the nature of the gods in the first game, especially since PoE2 will involve “godly secrets” yet again. I do think the gods themselves are good and interesting characters though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom