Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not saying if it's good or bad. I'm pretty sure it will reach and pass 500k just no explosion in sales.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
PoE2 is officially included in 2018's "top sellers".

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2018_so_far_top_sellers/
It got outsold by two different iteration of skyrim, and one of them is VR......Also got outsold by niche old games like rimworld and stardew valle. Oh well at least outsold the nu vampire,nu total war game and Battletech.

EDIT: I am amazed that witcher 3 still push such number of copies to be in lead gold.

imweasel

Most of the games in the bronze category aren't new releases. Nothing to call home about for a game that was released two months ago IMO.

BTW, PoE 2 is already #98 on Steam. :M

Nuclear Explosion

200k is decent enough, and that number will only grow. I don't know why people are expecting Obsidian to compete with AAA games. You can tell that the production values are not comparable to Bethsoft or CD Projekt Red.
The point is that it is not selling as well as the first game did despite its budget being larger. Obsidian were probably hoping that POE 2 would be as successful as DOS 2 has proven to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
PoE 1 sales two months after the release, estimated by Steamspy: 437k

I don't think they were that naive to expect D:OS 1/2 sales for PoE 2, but 200k sales is very underwhelming to say the least.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Full VA did more financial damage than anything else. That's what you get for not knowing your audience and thrash about in a futile attempt to get a bigger piece of the pie.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Full VA did more financial damage than anything else. That's what you get for not knowing your audience and thrash about in a futile attempt to get a bigger piece of the pie.
This. Full VO didn't improve the game's quality by 0.0001%, but it took away precious time and money from other areas. It baffles me how clueless Feargus is about their market. He is just chasing the trends again which Larian set up for indie games, not realizing that it is not applicable for every game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Even Tyranny sold better.

Nah, Tyranny sales two months after the release (also Steamspy): 124k.

Also PoE 2 is a bit more expensive. (Though if you count Fig backer copies [for Steam] the difference is not THAT big. Something to think about.)

(Speaking of Fig, it's funny that the sales numbers and the numbers of backers of two games are almost proportional!

Backers (initial campaigns): 73,986 / 33,614 = 2.20
Sales: 437k / 203k = 2.15

I wonder being on Fig gave them delusion that the backers are fewer because it's on Fig, the new platform, instead of KS, not because people now have less interest in PoE-style game.)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Deutschland über alles. I'd say ELEX is a much more popular genre and should've sold even more, but eh, I don't care. The question of why PoE2 doesn't seem to be selling great is still relevant. Is it because the nostalgia wore off in PoE1? Is it because of marketing? Is it because PoE1 was a bit garbage-y and was only tolerable in specific circumstances? The general public thinking the gameplay is antiquated? Those are interesting questions to ask, too bad we have no-one to ask.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom