Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
No but I hope they will be.

Cmon buddy, there are a lot of people there working hard to provide to their families. Any and every developer company closing doors is bad for the market, for us, for the Codex and for the people working there.

Do you think EA, Bethesda or Ubisoft will try to make a decent game for us? We can just rely on small companies.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Cmon buddy, there are a lot of people there working hard to provide to their families. Any and every developer company closing doors is bad for the market, for us, for the Codex and for the people working there.

Do you think EA, Bethesda or Ubisoft will try to make a decent game for us? We can just rely on small companies.

I have loved Obsidian in the past and would generally agree, but with Avellone (and other top writers) gone, Feargus seemingly a twat and all that drama, it might be best for the talent there to find other homes and do other projects. Obsidian are far from the only incline studio out there in these new indie-friendly times.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

If we're talking about decent games then I have no idea why you would consider Obsidian Entertainment a decent game developer. Of course I don't want people to lose their jobs, but that doesn't mean I will kneel and eat up shit from their assholes because if I don't I'm just so negative and I'm hurting the industry. PoE2 was a half assed piece of shit and if this is the type of game Obsidian will keep making, I won't care whatsoever if they go bankrupt.

2house2fly

Magister
The only name at Obsidian I trust at this point is Josh Sawyer, and he made a series of bizarre design decisions with PoE2, so it's probably for the best that he's checking out for a while. Hopefully they can get Eric Fenstermaker back, since he did better phoning it in on PoE1 than the PoE2 critical path writers could manage when firing on all cylinders

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The bast part: you can have both ways. Obsidian can make games, so people don't lose their jobs, and you don't buy their games and don't eat up shit from their assholes. Crazy, right?
I mean me wishing that they go bankrupt is basically a inevitability at this point. This game sold like shit because it was that, and if they go bankrupt now that means I don't have to see Inanatron reporting every single tiny detail that he could about Obisidan's brand new shitlog sandwich they call a game. The designers, writers and management fags that took down the company are mainly the ones that are going to lose their jobs and I really don't care if they do because quite honestly they deserve to for how bad of a job they have done, people that matter like programmers that have actual skills will quickly find a new job.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No but I hope they will be.
Absolutely not,if they close all those "writers" will find a job in another decent studios. Do you want the next ELEX to be with a tranny protagonist and elex to be a genderless god created by aliens?
umm the ELEX have a gender? is a living mineral.
The elex in ELEX is pretty well done,it is the girl echo that you hear in the wind from time to time. It really did add a lot of atmosphere in the game. Now i am replaying the game and having a blast,in times better game than deadfire.

Rake

Arcane
Not in the writing/story department
The impression I'm getting there is "mostly the same, worse in some aspects, better in others."
I haven't played the game yet, i'll wait for the final patch and all dlcs to come out first, but my impression from the codex is that the writing/story is the one thing that not only didn't improve, but in some aspects is worse than the first game

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't played the game yet, i'll wait for the final patch and all dlcs to come out first, but my impression from the codex is that the writing/story is the one thing that not only didn't improve, but in some aspects is worse than the first game

The writing drags everything down with it, unfortunately. DF is better than PoE1, but you still have to force yourself through it because everything feels trivial, self-contained and pointless due to the writing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I found the places you visit in Deadfire much more interesting overall to click through than PoE1, and the simple addition of giving flavor text speech to random NPCs is a marked improvement for atmosphere.

(In PoE1 no random NPCs had flavor text because all non-Quest NPCs were forced to be fan-fiction tellers; in Deadfire there are no such tellers and instead they have floating flavor text which was sorely missed by me).

It always felt so fucking weird to me in PoE1 that the only people with dialog were quest-givers.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The really good thing would have been if random people would open the dialogue interface. I suppose someone thought it's more "immersive" if the text just floats over the NPCs' heads, but I find that it's the opposite for me. Reading in the dialogue interface works better.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
An interesting new addition to Steamspy, a property called "Players (experimental)" shows 196 400 players for Deadfire. At the same time, the "Owners" is at 125 000. I've seen "Owners" at 145 000, so that's obviously an extrapolation from some sample size.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Players (experimental) is now showing over 200k players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom