Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

2house2fly

Magister
Its dryness certainly turns people off anecdotally, and it's something they specifically tried to backpedal on with the expansion and sequel. That's something that's kind of hard to show off in a trailer though, so they'll have to hope that word of mouth reaches that particular audience.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
This reminds me that the first DLC is coming out around the time of the Summer Sale. Who is doing marketing for this game, ffs?

What is the problem with this? There are more people browsing Steam during the Summer Sale than any other time of the year. Devs/Pubs report that even games that are not on sale do better during the sale because of the tremendous increase in traffic.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Full VO was a dumb decision I must say. Also despite my Obsidian love and Infinity Engine nostalgia I have to say the first PoE is a bit... bland? I dunno, it's kind of a slog for me at times. I whizzed through Tyranny in no time but both playthroughs of PoE have been a grind half the time. So perhaps many others felt similarly but with more intensity and didn't want to give Obsidian a second chance at it.
Yep.

They should have asked Radon Labs (R.I.P.) how much full VO helped the sales of Drakensang: River of Time. 'Only partially voiced, boo' was just a nitpick of players who didn't like the game in the first place and wanted to pile on.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I think knowing what's important to your core audience and listening to them can be key in a lot of situations.
What part of the core audience thought full voice acting would enhance the experience? I'm just piling on here honestly.

frajaq

Erudite
Only in Feargus' illusory world did anyone want full VO and think it would "enhance" the game.

Especially for the first 10 minutes of the game where you are given absolutely unnecessary descriptions. You could literally shave off 85% of everything in intro.

Oh man that decision was weird
"Look everyone we have full VO even at the narration parts at the Intro Sequence! Isn't this really cool? Don't get used to it though because the rest of the narration in most other content of the game won't be voiced like in D:OS 2"

"Oh yeah also next patch we're gonna make you be able to skip the Intro since no one else can fucking stand it playing it again"

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I wouldn't blame Feargus for full VO. I'd blame Larian.

DOS1&2 have had such an unprecedented success that it has become a defacto standard for the genre and it sets the expectation for the entire market. Any game that is in some ways below that standard will be automatically considered technologically dated or lacking in gameplay. And that's a problem because you will have reviewers knocking down points.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This reminds me that the first DLC is coming out around the time of the Summer Sale. Who is doing marketing for this game, ffs?

What is the problem with this? There are more people browsing Steam during the Summer Sale than any other time of the year. Devs/Pubs report that even games that are not on sale do better during the sale because of the tremendous increase in traffic.
Unless Deadfire is discounted during the summer sale, those people browsing Steam will spend their money on clearing their wishlists full of games at -33%/-50%

mitochondritom

Educated

DOS1&2 have had such an unprecedented success that it has become a defacto standard for the genre and it sets the expectation for the entire market. Any game that is in some ways below that standard will be automatically considered technologically dated or lacking in gameplay. And that's a problem because you will have reviewers knocking down points.

I think this is the reason. The amount of Journo's and Twitchtards droning on about Full VO sealed the deal. I think it is partly because of streaming and lets plays, where listening to at least 6 voice actors is preferable to some nasal dweeb.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I think this is the reason. The amount of Journo's and Twitchtards droning on about Full VO sealed the deal. I think it is partly because of streaming and lets plays, where listening to at least 6 voice actors is preferable to some nasal dweeb.
"The expectations of the entire market" are not to listen to tryhard overacting of lousily written text, with dubious suitability for being voiced. I can't believe a 2017/2018 game's voice acting can be classes below IWD's.

Trashos

Arcane
ITT a bunch PC users are judging decisions that are targeting the console versions. Do console players know how to read sit far away from their monitors?

AwesomeButton

Patron
ITT a bunch PC users are judging decisions that are targeting the console versions. Do console players know how to read sit far away from their monitors?
They generally sit farther than PC players I've seen.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, right now, Deadfire is not selling and Obsidian dont have any new game scheduled until Indiana (2019-20...?)?

Congratulations, Feargus! You really know how to manage a business.

mitochondritom

Educated

Hope is truly lost if anyone thinks that consoles will save the isometric RPG. I tried to play Divinity OS with my girlfriend on the PS4 and it was fucking abysmal.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
I guess it's a sign of the times going from pages and pages about how to best kill Kangaxx or Firkraag to pages and pages on Deadfire's sales.

Cross

Arcane

You seem to be forgetting that the original, non-enhanced DOS1 had minimal voice acting and went on to outsell every other Kickstarter RPG despite zero launch day reviews and almost no pre-release buzz or attention from the press.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron

Hope is truly lost if anyone thinks that consoles will save the isometric RPG. I tried to play Divinity OS with my girlfriend on the PS4 and it was fucking abysmal.

I tried to play D:OS2 coop on PC with my wife. It's commendable how well it works technically, but the game was still uninteresting, and the amount of discussion needed in order to do one big battle correctly was pretty big, slowed down the experience. CRPGs were not meant for coop play. That's what PnP is for.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I tried to play D:OS2 coop on PC with my wife. It's commendable how well it works technically, but the game was still uninteresting, and the amount of discussion needed in order to do one big battle correctly was pretty big, slowed down the experience. CRPGs were not meant for coop play. That's what PnP is for.

All very true... but judging by comments outside this forum, a lot of people played both games coop anyway. I think it's hard to argue that it had some effect on the (largely inexplicable, from my perspective) success of both games.

Unless Deadfire is discounted during the summer sale, those people browsing Steam will spend their money on clearing their wishlists full of games at -33%/-50%
Deadfire is 10% off on GOG's summer sale. :)

I wonder how their 'recommended for you' algorithm works. For me, it shows Tyranny on the first page, with D:OS2, but Deadfire is on page 2. I thought it might be that they were showing the most discounted games that matched my assumed tastes, but they show Cultist Simulator (????) on page 1, which is also 10% off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom