Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Currently below BattleTech on both Top Sellers and Global Top Sellers, although its reviews (and Steam reviews) are better.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Yeah, it's not just that sales are poor, the user score has been consistently tanking since release. And hilariously it's all those changes that were meant to make Deadfire more digestible for mass market, that are universally met with bad reception and negative reviews.
Aren't you their boss? Fix it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ratings go down because more people finish the game,the second half is really bad. You begin to see the cracks and eventually everything crumbles.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The news of the 1.1 beta patch have caused an increase in concurrent players, returning to the levels of the last week of May: http://steamcharts.com/cmp/560130

Still, a huge proportion of owners are waiting for patches. Hardly anyone is playing. According to steamspy:
Playtime in the last 2 weeks: 12:18 (average) 08:01 (median)
Playtime total: 20:12 (average) 15:14 (median)

Flou

Arbiter
The news of the 1.1 beta patch have caused an increase in concurrent players, returning to the levels of the last week of May: http://steamcharts.com/cmp/560130

Still, a huge proportion of owners are waiting for patches. Hardly anyone is playing. According to steamspy:

Yep. Some of the quests are bugged, so waiting for a patch. You can't finish Serafen's quest for example. I don't know how that got past the Q&A.

Jinn

Arcane

I'm one of them. Really hope they finalize this patch sooner rather than later.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From previous patches, we can expect the beta period to last 2-3 weeks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The median is better than PoE's stats which is really something (it's currently Playtime total: 24:15 (average) 08:48 (median) which is actually better than it was even a month ago; Deadfire's release is getting PoE new fans). The audience is smaller, but they're sticking around longer.

Flou

Arbiter
Woo! Page 37, Deadifre has now sold more copies than Mafia III and Battletech on GOG. Though Battletech is now chasing Deadfire. Tune in tomorrow for an another update! (please don't)

Page 36. Still climbing at a really slow pace, but climbing anyways. It passed DOS2: Eternal Edition (it contains all Divine games afaik). I imagine 2nd patch and the 1st DLC will bump it up a bit more, unless Steam sales drain everyone's wallets.
Season pass is on page 46 and the Obsidian Edition (containing Deadfire and the Season pass) is on page 43.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Woo! Page 37, Deadifre has now sold more copies than Mafia III and Battletech on GOG. Though Battletech is now chasing Deadfire. Tune in tomorrow for an another update! (please don't)

Page 36. Still climbing at a really slow pace, but climbing anyways. It passed DOS2: Eternal Edition (it contains all Divine games afaik). I imagine 2nd patch and the 1st DLC will bump it up a bit more, unless Steam sales drain everyone's wallets.
Season pass is on page 46 and the Obsidian Edition (containing Deadfire and the Season pass) is on page 43.
This reminds me that the first DLC is coming out around the time of the Summer Sale. Who is doing marketing for this game, ffs?

Flou

Arbiter
This reminds me that the first DLC is coming out around the time of the Summer Sale. Who is doing marketing for this game, ffs?

Don't know. But so far they've fucked up with the release date and state of the game. Why would you release the game in May in a quite buggy state. July is probably even worse, with the Steam sales just ending. Unless they desperately needed that money I don't know why they would go for the Bugsidian reputation once more when they could have just stepped back and release it later on. It just makes selling their next game much harder.

If Paradox dropped the ball with Tyranny, Versus Evil shot themselves in the leg twice while dropping that ball. I highly doubt anyone with at least few working braincells will go ask Versus Evil to publish their sequels after seeing how well Banner Saga 2 and Deadfire have managed to sell.
But since Feargus and his kids need more money, they won't back out from Fig and do an actual Kickstarter. Going the Kickstarter route would actually get them a proper publisher who knows what the fuck they are actually doing and might even promote the game a bit. Instead of just trusting that the crowdfunding mania and the game being a sequel is enough to get gamers who haven't played the 1st one yet to rush in and buy the game.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The longer you postpone the launch, the higher the returns you need in order to come out in the green.

Flou

Arbiter
The longer you postpone the launch, the higher the returns you need in order to come out in the green.

True.

Deadfire is -10% on GOG Summer sale. At least it's on the "notable list", so it might get noticed. Instead of just drowning in the mass of games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

LoL i didn't expected the game to be so dead. The DLCs will sell like shit,i can't imagine that Obsidian will keep supporting the game after the first DLC. It will be pretty big lose for them. There may be a lot of people waiting for patches here,but the codex is a hardcore rpg forum. Not many people will come back to play it after all the patches and DLCs. People don't buy games so they could play it 6 months later.

Flou

Arbiter
LoL i didn't expected the game to be so dead. The DLCs will sell like shit,i can't imagine that Obsidian will keep supporting the game after the first DLC. It will be pretty big lose for them. There may be a lot of people waiting for patches here,but the codex is a hardcore rpg forum. Not many people will come back to play it after all the patches and DLCs. People don't buy games so they could play it 6 months later.

How do you explain the massive backlogs of games, everyone has on Steam? People don't buy games on Day 1, to play it 6 months later. When the game is on sale, they will buy it to play it "some day".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

How do you explain the massive backlogs of games, everyone has on Steam? People don't buy games on Day 1, to play it 6 months later. When the game is on sale, they will buy it to play it "some day".
You just explain it to yourself. People that bought the game day one wanted to play it in the week,not wait half a year waiting for the real release. Also the game sold rely poorly,most of the people that bought it,played it already. Most people will forget about the game in month time. We will see the numbers after the first dlc hits the shelves.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
About sales:

As soon as someone buys your product, they value it much higher: if it was crap, they wouldn't have bought it, of course. They don't make stupid mistakes like that! Of course it's great!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You just explain it to yourself. People that bought the game day one wanted to play it in the week,not wait half a year waiting for the real release. Also the game sold rely poorly,most of the people that bought it,played it already. Most people will forget about the game in month time. We will see the numbers after the first dlc hits the shelves.

Granted I might be a dumb asshole, but I bought the game day one to support Obsidian and have it ready to play once it gets patched once or twice. I'm currently finishing up a couple other things before starting.

Jezal_k23

What the game really needs is more wackyness to match Larian. Pillars 3 should have more Tekehu-like party members, full of funny dialogue and quests. Fully voiced of course. Obsidian should also hire comedians to voice all characters, and write a more fun main story involving saving the world from a squirrel that was hit by lightning and got magical powers and wants to take over the world. HA! Larian will be beaten at their own game and PoE 3 will become the new legendary best seller.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Granted I might be a dumb asshole, but I bought the game day one to support Obsidian and have it ready to play once it gets patched once or twice. I'm currently finishing up a couple other things before starting.
As i said before,this a hardcore RPG forum,it is only natural that many of people from the codex that bought the game are going to play it later. Most of the people know what bugsidian is.I am talking about the other people....the normals ;). No more than a thousand codexians have bought the game,maybe half of them are waiting for the whole game. It is pretty insignificant amount when it comes down to statistics.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As i said before,this a hardcore RPG forum,it is only natural that many of people from the codex that bought the game are going to play it later. Most of the people know what bugsidian is.I am talking about the other people....the normals ;). No more than a thousand codexians have bought the game,maybe half of them are waiting for the whole game. It is pretty insignificant amount when it comes down to statistics.

These games are made for "hardcore RPG players" though, however many of those there are. One would hope they had realistic expectations and didn't expect it to sell like Diablo 3 or something. Also it was Kickstarted with $4+ million before it ever came out, so one would hope all sales past that were mostly profit.

2house2fly

Magister
Pre-release comments made it fairly clear they expected it to sell more than Pillars 1. There's no doubt at all it's selling worse than expected; what's not certain is if it's selling worse than their worst-case scenario

E: That said, there were what, 35k backers? It's for sure sold 100k copies to non-backers, which is surely enough to recoup the additional development costs

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Pre-release comments made it fairly clear they expected it to sell more than Pillars 1. There's no doubt at all it's selling worse than expected; what's not certain is if it's selling worse than their worst-case scenario

E: That said, there were what, 35k backers? It's for sure sold 100k copies to non-backers, which is surely enough to recoup the additional development costs

They said it costed almost twice as much as first game I think. I remember Feargus saying it costed 50% in early stages and that was before they started going over the budget and possibly before they added full VO. Only 100k beyond the backers is a disaster. That would make it worse selling than SR:HK.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Full VO was a dumb decision I must say. Also despite my Obsidian love and Infinity Engine nostalgia I have to say the first PoE is a bit... bland? I dunno, it's kind of a slog for me at times. I whizzed through Tyranny in no time but both playthroughs of PoE have been a grind half the time. So perhaps many others felt similarly but with more intensity and didn't want to give Obsidian a second chance at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom