Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please, please help me find a rpg to play

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
The point of CDDA is exploring the world and get stronger while doing so, pretty much like any other classic rpg. It's an open world roguelike, as such you can go anywhere and play the game however you want. Theres even multiple ways to start the game, so the 'goals' varies between character to character. The immediate goal is obviously figuring out how not to die, after that? Figure out how to get into a military lab and explore the depths of it, perhaps get some mutagen and mutate your character or find some nice weaponry. After that figure out how to build a vehicular death machine which will allow you to explore the greater area of the world and see if you can challenge the great old ones from the other dimension? It's a huge sandbox you're only limited by your own imagination and obviously, ability.

All the classic crpgs I've ever played you can beat. Granted the only two or so crpgs I played on console before switching to computers were Ultima 4 (I think) and Wiz 1, and then switched after playing Quest for Glory 1 at a friends. I can't think of one game I ever bought that didn't have a goal or quest to beat the head back guy at least.

Ok, time to churn out some really obscure stuff.
Dark Disciples 1&2 - unfortunately the original webpage is down, but there were working versions of them floating somewhere on the net.
Reconstruction series, which includes a TRPG, a space sim and even a fucking roguelike - all of them made in RPGMaker, but you can never tell because the guy remade everything, from sprites to combat and character system.
Hellion is a great dungeon crawl, also made in RPGMaker and also heavily customized. Features full character generation, 7 really different classes with extensive skill trees and an array of non-combat skills.
Added bonus - everything on this list is freeware.

God bless you. I can't believe I never heard of these. The dodgysoft website that is soppossed to host the dark disciples doesn't, but I found them here - http://en.uptodown.com/search/dark-disciples-ii

Is this a troll/joke? That statement is silly on many levels.

Please articulate. Please tell in which ways with exact specifics. I am sure you cannot because Dark Souls is like Undertale and other monkey-hype games. Shit for shitheads that will like it with vigor because they want to belong.

For everyone else, thanks for the advice. I'm still interested what people think of the games I listed like Crea or if there are other non-armada space games with pilot skills like Void Expanse and Star Wolves.

I am old and played old games so am looking for more modern games (over and over and over again). I have played the Quest and Madman (and hopefully they are improving the controls and UI on Madman before releasing on steam), and Swords & Sorcery Underworld. I am a huge proponent of indie crpgs so I know about the more well known games in the genre like these.

Thank you all again, your help is very appreciated.

flabbyjack

Arcane
I can recommend both console Shadowrun games. SNES version and Sega Genesis version.

Have fun!
Cheat code: Enter 'ABBACAB' at the start screen for the Sega Genesis version, then when you start open up your journal/options and press up, there will be a hidden menu selection.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Crea
Starbound
Project Zomboid
Edge of Space

Enemy (the block looking game)
Astral Terra
3086 and 4086 and the others

All of these games I bolded are unfinished and are would barely be called RPGs. Crea, Starbound and Edge of Space are Terraria clones and at this stage of development are not nearly as good as Terraria. If you're interested in those three, play Terraria. Astral Terra is unfinished that looks very Minecraft + MMO. Not sure why anyone on the Codex is interested in that. 3086 and 4086 is pretty bad, someday the developer will get it right. Maybe.

Have you tried Lords of Xulima, NEO Scavenger, Quest for Infamy (or any Quest for Glory games), or, hell, E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Crea
Starbound
Project Zomboid
Edge of Space

Enemy (the block looking game)
Astral Terra
3086 and 4086 and the others

All of these games I bolded are unfinished and are would barely be called RPGs. Crea, Starbound and Edge of Space are Terraria clones and at this stage of development are not nearly as good as Terraria. If you're interested in those three, play Terraria. Astral Terra is unfinished that looks very Minecraft + MMO. Not sure why anyone on the Codex is interested in that. 3086 and 4086 is pretty bad, someday the developer will get it right. Maybe.

Have you tried Lords of Xulima, NEO Scavenger, Quest for Infamy (or any Quest for Glory games), or, hell, E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy?

I don't know what minecraft does besides my kids like to watch people play it on youtube on their little shitty computer things. I don't see what the difference is between Terreria and Mindcraft, besides one is 3d first person perspective and neither have rpg elements. On the other games the description say they have quests and character building. Terreria has neither. Why would I pick the least rpg one? Besides Project Zombiod which says it has character building - I'm not sure if it is a pure survival game or has quests and direction other than survive. I know I really enjoyed Dead State, but dislike How to Survive, The Survivialist, and the Console zombie game everyone pissed their pants over was the worst one (State of something or other). But I really enjoyed I Shall Remain.

I never played NEO Scavanger because it seems extremely rpg-lite and I have no interest in that.

Roqua

Prospernaut
I can recommend both console Shadowrun games. SNES version and Sega Genesis version.

Have fun!
Cheat code: Enter 'ABBACAB' at the start screen for the Sega Genesis version, then when you start open up your journal/options and press up, there will be a hidden menu selection.

Thank you. I played them both on the console when I was young and not smart enough to only play just crpgs. I can't play rpg-lite games anymore, but thank you for the recommendation. If the remake ever comes out for SRR I'll definitely try it. Speaking of that, any really good mods for any of the SRRs? Ones where I decide who I am and not the mod maker? I tried a couple and couldn't get into them because of the same reason I couldn't get into SRHK - the developer decided who I was going to be instead of me deciding. The dialogue options never had any replies close to what my character would ever say, I liked DMH and Dragonfall a lot more. But I do like the new cyberskills under the body tree.

Ok, time to churn out some really obscure stuff.
Dark Disciples 1&2 - unfortunately the original webpage is down, but there were working versions of them floating somewhere on the net.
Reconstruction series, which includes a TRPG, a space sim and even a fucking roguelike - all of them made in RPGMaker, but you can never tell because the guy remade everything, from sprites to combat and character system.
Hellion is a great dungeon crawl, also made in RPGMaker and also heavily customized. Features full character generation, 7 really different classes with extensive skill trees and an array of non-combat skills.
Added bonus - everything on this list is freeware.

Okay, I can't get either Dark Disciple to download from the link I posted above. The space sim is pretty good and lets me create my own character. I couldn't get into the regular one since it had so much talking in the beginning and no character generation. The roguelike started off great with an interesting seeming chargen but I did not like the rpg system or combat mechanics. Hellion is excellent for a rpgmaker game and I really like how they don't just have decent chargen and dev but also skills that allow you to inteact with the world like lockpicking and foraging.

Thank you again for the recommendations. Have you tried Waste Walkers, Deadly Sin 2, or Last Dream? Waste Walkers is an excellent roguelike survival rpg made with rpgmaker. Deadly Sin 2 and Last Dream have decent character development for rpgmaker games.

skyst

Augur
I never played NEO Scavanger because it seems extremely rpg-lite and I have no interest in that.

Give NEO Scavenger an honest attempt. Your character generation choices can lead to staggeringly different play throughs. I was quite surprised that after dicking around with the game blindly for a few hours of (mostly failed) survival attempts that it eventually contains towns with characters, vendors, some dialogues with choices and such. It is a very impressive game and especially worth the cost for the setting alone, which I found very compelling.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suppose Mount and Blade: Warband is far too directionless for your taste? Though the Viking Conquest DLC has a storyline you can choose to follow. I found the DLC a bit more entertaining than the base game, in any case.

And man, maybe you just ought to look at some NWN and NWN 2 modules, if you haven't already. The Conan chronicles for nwn 2 are pretty good, even.

Siveon

Bot
I don't know what minecraft does besides my kids like to watch people play it on youtube on their little shitty computer things. I don't see what the difference is between Terreria and Mindcraft, besides one is 3d first person perspective and neither have rpg elements. On the other games the description say they have quests and character building. Terreria has neither. Why would I pick the least rpg one? Besides Project Zombiod which says it has character building - I'm not sure if it is a pure survival game or has quests and direction other than survive. I know I really enjoyed Dead State, but dislike How to Survive, The Survivialist, and the Console zombie game everyone pissed their pants over was the worst one (State of something or other). But I really enjoyed I Shall Remain.

For one Terraria is actually a finished product that provides great boss fights and exploration. The quests that something like 3086 are simply MMO fetch quests, nothing more. To wit, Minecraft and its ilk is about finding shit in the ground to build stuff with. Terraria adds bosses, co-op, and weapon based loot from it, and all its contemporaries (Crea, Starbound, Edge of Space) add fetch quests and other bulk to be more MMO-like. They are not trying to be more like the cRPGs you desire. This goes for 3086 and Astral Terra, except it simply wants to add MMO crap to regular Minecraft. From actually being finished, Terraria also has polished gameplay.

Project Zomboid has little to no quests. In fact there's not even any NPC dialog yet except for the main story. Oh, and every single game we've been talking about are hardly RPGs in the slightest. It's odd that you would bring them up expecting cRPGs when all of them are derivative of the Minecraft/survival genre.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
i think you should play an rpg that fits your personality

in your case i would play either thunderscape or metalheart replicants rampage

both are turn based

both are terrible

i bet you would love them :)

Roqua

Prospernaut
Thunderscape is good, and Metalheart looks good. I wonder how I missed that one. 2005? Hmm.

For one Terraria is actually a finished product that provides great boss fights and exploration. The quests that something like 3086 are simply MMO fetch quests, nothing more. To wit, Minecraft and its ilk is about finding shit in the ground to build stuff with. Terraria adds bosses, co-op, and weapon based loot from it, and all its contemporaries (Crea, Starbound, Edge of Space) add fetch quests and other bulk to be more MMO-like. They are not trying to be more like the cRPGs you desire. This goes for 3086 and Astral Terra, except it simply wants to add MMO crap to regular Minecraft. From actually being finished, Terraria also has polished gameplay.

Project Zomboid has little to no quests. In fact there's not even any NPC dialog yet except for the main story. Oh, and every single game we've been talking about are hardly RPGs in the slightest. It's odd that you would bring them up expecting cRPGs when all of them are derivative of the Minecraft/survival genre.

Like I said in my first post - I don't care if it is an rpg or not as long as it has decent character building and heavy rpg elements. Strict survival does't do it for me, and I have no interest in a game like Terreria that has no rpg elements. Little things can make or break if I like a game or not, or have any interest in it or not, like I said that I didn't like Xulima until I used a mod that changed its magic and skill system. I didn't like FONV until I used the After War Nevada mod that changed basically everything mechanics wise and made the game worth playing in my opinion. A game without meaningful character building or decent rpg elements isn't worth playing in my opinion and will hold no interest for me, regardless of how amazing of whatever type of game it is.

I suppose Mount and Blade: Warband is far too directionless for your taste? Though the Viking Conquest DLC has a storyline you can choose to follow. I found the DLC a bit more entertaining than the base game, in any case.

And man, maybe you just ought to look at some NWN and NWN 2 modules, if you haven't already. The Conan chronicles for nwn 2 are pretty good, even.

Ill check out that Viking recommendation, thank you for it. I never could get into NWN 1 or 2. One just had bad controls and awful, cheese combat that undermined the whole D&D 3e system. What does it matter what feat you pick if combat was meant for toddlers and monkeys to be able to breeze through it? NWN 2 had better everything but even easier and more meaningless combat made so a plant would be able to master it. Both games are mostly combat, and being bored for most of a game isn't fun for me.

Give NEO Scavenger an honest attempt. Your character generation choices can lead to staggeringly different play throughs. I was quite surprised that after dicking around with the game blindly for a few hours of (mostly failed) survival attempts that it eventually contains towns with characters, vendors, some dialogues with choices and such. It is a very impressive game and especially worth the cost for the setting alone, which I found very compelling.

My issue is from what I understand the rpg system is almost non-existent to make it more realistic. Such as very minimal stats, etc, no character development, etc. I don't like when Bethesda did it (compare Daggerfall to Skyrym, or the real Fallouts to their atrocities), and I honestly can't see me liking any game that is actually proud of and promotes how rpg-lite it is. I like games with some meat to them.

Siveon

Bot
Like I said in my first post - I don't care if it is an rpg or not as long as it has decent character building and heavy rpg elements.

Which is why I was saying don't bother unless it's Terraria. None of 'em have cRPG stuff like C&C, heavy stats/feats, parties, etc.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NWN 2 had better everything but even easier and more meaningless combat made so a plant would be able to master it. Both games are mostly combat, and being bored for most of a game isn't fun for me
Ergo, custom modules. You'd have to do a bit of looking, but there'd be quite a few that offer more than just combat. I heard good things about Subtlety of Thay for NWN etc.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I need that deep, hidden gem someone who ignores everything besides crpg news wouldn't know about.
With deep character system? Hm...

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy is for you then

US6yElm.jpg

ZboLBNP.jpg

C2oUjrt.png

mWa27IJ.jpg

JudasIscariot
NO HOTCHIKS PLZ
k'

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Ergo, custom modules. You'd have to do a bit of looking, but there'd be quite a few that offer more than just combat. I heard good things about Subtlety of Thay for NWN etc.

I'll check it out, but I really am not able to get far in these games. For instance, I can't really play more than a couple hours of the Mask of the Betrayer even though it is supposed to be the greatest thing, like, ever.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

With deep character system? Hm...

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy is for you then

Yes, I do like that game and played a lot of it, thank you for brining it up as it worth highlighting since it seems it didn't do too well in sales on release and can use the exposure.

Space rangers HD

I was never a huge Space Ranger fan. But I respect what they were going for and hope they maybe make a more Void Expanse like third part of the series.

Geneforge series and then play Nethergate

For a good ten years if you were a crpg player it was pretty much Spiderweb games or nothing. I am kind of still butt hurt over his desire to rape pc gamers with his huge disparity in pricing between civilized pc and people that play on lesser, shitty monkey computers, so now I wait for sales of his new games on steam so he gets the same amount of my money that he does from people with poor taste in computers. He is a fucking rapist. PC players made him what he is. We made his fucking business, and then he sticks his dick right in our pooper. Just rams it right in. Fuck him.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
OP, I think you've reached the end of your rope with regards to rpgs. You should convert to consolefaggotry before you lose all purpose in life.

DeN DarK

Educated
Whitestone One, First Throne, Forty Forties
Is this a troll/joke? That statement is silly on many levels.

Please articulate. Please tell in which ways with exact specifics. I am sure you cannot because Dark Souls is like Undertale and other monkey-hype games. Shit for shitheads that will like it with vigor because they want to belong.

First of all - Lords of the Fallen is secondary to DS. It is forgivable. But they do same thing as DS and do it worse, plus they cut much things that existed in DS. And yes - I played both. And Lords of the Fallen is mediocre game. If you praise it - it means you have shit for brains.

And what with hype? DS is first person ARPG at best (if it can be called RPG) with japanese games elements. It is hardcore, compared to modern ARPGs - are you deny it? If you think that playing DS make you belong (where?) - maybe something wrong with you, not with the games. Maybe someone just rip your ass in PvP in DS or first mobs was too hard for you? )

:butthurt:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom