Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please, please help me find a rpg to play

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
after reading thru roq's OP i can't think of anything better for him to play than wizardry honestly. it fits what he's going on about to the letter.
Come on, you really think I haven't played any Wizardry that is still worth playing (I dislike the jrpg ones, I especially think Elminage Gothic is a bad. bad game with the worst UI ever invented). Wiz 1 was probably my first rpg (the NES version).
I don't play a lot of strategy games so would definitely be open to a game that had more than just combat
Chaos Overlords, bitch.
I tried that a long time ago but wasn't a huge fan. That is definitely in the spirit of what I'm looking for, some gem that a crpg only player may never have heard of.

Has anyone here tried any of these and do they have worth while character development and quests, etc?

Crea
Starbound
Project Zomboid
Edge of Space
Enemy (the block looking game)
Astral Terra
3086 and 4086 and the others

Any advice or recommendation would be appreciated.

Lastly, I refunded Dragon Fin Soup about 30 seconds after buying it since it had the most savage uncivilized UI invented where esc didn't bring up the menu and nothing worked. It looks like they have patched the UI to almost civilized conditions. Is the chardev worth checking out in the game?

Also, any space games like Void Expanse, Star Nomad 2, and Space Wolves that have character skill trees and ship upgrades? Preferably 2d.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Epsilon

Cipher
You can roleplay the fuck out of Crusader Kings II. The various mods can also completely change the setting and mechanics of the game.
I know you don't want to play 'survival' games but I'm still going to say Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Because when you get good at it and understand it, you only die if you fuck up. Theres just so much to that game that anyone who likes rpg's and post apocalyptical settings really does himself a disfavor by not atleast giving it an honest shot. It helps that it's completely free as well. But if thats not you then disregard what I say. The game has multiple tilesets that should satisfy any taste, sound effects and music can be had as well through mods on the forums.
This is the latest 'unstable' version as of this writing http://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-latest/Windows/Tiles/cataclysmdda-0.C-4275.zip and heres the soundpack http://chezzo.com/cdda/ChestHoleSoundSet.zip extract that to CataclysmDDA\data\sound and pick "ChestHole" in options -> General -> Soundpack.

Das24680 did a nice introductory video series of an older version that didn't have sound, as such the series only have his commentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QduBQhZkl3w

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
You can roleplay the fuck out of Crusader Kings II. The various mods can also completely change the setting and mechanics of the game.
I know you don't want to play 'survival' games but I'm still going to say Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Because when you get good at it and understand it, you only die if you fuck up. Theres just so much to that game that anyone who likes rpg's and post apocalyptical settings really does himself a disfavor by not atleast giving it an honest shot. It helps that it's completely free as well. But if thats not you then disregard what I say. The game has multiple tilesets that should satisfy any taste, sound effects and music can be had as well through mods on the forums.
This is the latest 'unstable' version as of this writing http://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-latest/Windows/Tiles/cataclysmdda-0.C-4275.zip and heres the soundpack http://chezzo.com/cdda/ChestHoleSoundSet.zip extract that to CataclysmDDA\data\sound and pick "ChestHole" in options -> General -> Soundpack.

Das24680 did a nice introductory video series of an older version that didn't have sound, as such the series only have his commentary

I don't mind survival games as long as there is some direction. I really enjoy Waste Walkers. I tried ARK to see what all the hubbub was about and I don't get it. What are you supposed to do? Just survive? Why, for what? Why am I killing? I need direction, a motive, something. Honestly, if I end up stranded on an island with dinosaurs I'd just say fuck it and give up and let them eat me quickly and end it all. No blaze of glory. Just total quitting to avoid hunger and running and constant itchy insect bites.

And I have respect for people who can play ASCII games and their horrible almost non-existent UIs but I can't myself.

Epsilon

Cipher

I don't mind survival games as long as there is some direction. I really enjoy Waste Walkers. I tried ARK to see what all the hubbub was about and I don't get it. What are you supposed to do? Just survive? Why, for what? Why am I killing? I need direction, a motive, something. Honestly, if I end up stranded on an island with dinosaurs I'd just say fuck it and give up and let them eat me quickly and end it all. No blaze of glory. Just total quitting to avoid hunger and running and constant itchy insect bites.

And I have respect for people who can play ASCII games and their horrible almost non-existent UIs but I can't myself.
The point of CDDA is exploring the world and get stronger while doing so, pretty much like any other classic rpg. It's an open world roguelike, as such you can go anywhere and play the game however you want. Theres even multiple ways to start the game, so the 'goals' varies between character to character. The immediate goal is obviously figuring out how not to die, after that? Figure out how to get into a military lab and explore the depths of it, perhaps get some mutagen and mutate your character or find some nice weaponry. After that figure out how to build a vehicular death machine which will allow you to explore the greater area of the world and see if you can challenge the great old ones from the other dimension? It's a huge sandbox you're only limited by your own imagination and obviously, ability.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Dark Spire on the Nintendo DS - kind of like an early Wizardry with better graphics:

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Has anyone here tried any of these and do they have worth while character development and quests, etc?

Crea
Starbound
Project Zomboid
Edge of Space
Enemy (the block looking game)
Astral Terra
3086 and 4086 and the others

Any advice or recommendation would be appreciated.

I've played 3089, but I hated it. It's just grinding in a procedurally generated world.

I highly recommend this one - played the shit out of it as a kid. It's pretty hardcore for a console title and definitely a gem:

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
With the rise of Indie and AA games on the PC, older Indie stuff like the Geneforges and Avernums from Spiderweb have been overlooked in the collective conscious of even core RPG fans IMO. That might be your speed.

V_K

Arcane
Ok, time to churn out some really obscure stuff.
Dark Disciples 1&2 - unfortunately the original webpage is down, but there were working versions of them floating somewhere on the net.
Reconstruction series, which includes a TRPG, a space sim and even a fucking roguelike - all of them made in RPGMaker, but you can never tell because the guy remade everything, from sprites to combat and character system.
Hellion is a great dungeon crawl, also made in RPGMaker and also heavily customized. Features full character generation, 7 really different classes with extensive skill trees and an array of non-combat skills.
Added bonus - everything on this list is freeware.

Ladonna

Arcane
Roqua is back? What next? The return of Bryce?

I think it would be easier if you supplied us with a list of CRPGs you have NOT played, as it is coming to the point of one poster throws a name out, and you reply that you have already played it.

However, as one moron used to say, You don't know what you don't know.

Have you tried Madman? http://www.machgryphon.com/

Or Swords and Sorcery: Underworld http://www.olderbytes.com/ which is a Might and Magic type game (the older games)?

Last edited:

Shin

Cipher
Maybe try firing up an emulator and play something like Final Fantasy: Tactics. Might be the kind of variety you need in your current cRPG diet.

Disgruntled

Savant
Time to get into MMORPGs. Most in-depth character stat and skill progression you will ever find.

Ill get back to you when theres one worth downloading.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I think Dark Souls and other hype games like them are complete shit; I think Lords of the Fallen is superior in every possible conceivable way and is not the gold standard for those types of games because of the bandwagon hype mentality.

Is this a troll/joke? That statement is silly on many levels.

hell bovine

Arcane
I have played underrail to death too recently.
Have you tried the Sims?

No, but I probably should have mentioned I like killing people or other forms of life in games. A game without killing doesn't sound very appealing.
You can kill people in Sims Medieval, there is even combat and executions by throwing into a monster pit (with a tentacle monster inside, and yes, you can romance it). It is still a sims game, though.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Warlords Battlecry. I couldn't get 1 to run properly on a modern computer but 2 and 3 should be fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom