Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please, please help me find a rpg to play

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I need a new rpg/game with heavy rpg elements to play and I'm going crazy. Today was the start of a four day weekend and I planned on playing Bombshell but that fell through since it is very rpg-lite. I tried that Ship game where you eat your crew that is having a free steam weekend, and it just didn't seem like it had much character development. I need that deep, hidden gem someone who ignores everything besides crpg news wouldn't know about.

I absolutely need a chardev system that isn't tacked on shit that does nothing.

I like when there are a lot of things to do, like in a crpg.

I have played all the well know crpgs. I dislike console games but am willing to try one if it has meaningful character development that doesn't suck outside of equipment upgrades and also doesn't consist of mainly cutscenes and weird characters that blink in surprise every couple minutes .

I don't play a lot of strategy games so would definitely be open to a game that had more than just combat, like Xcom had with the base building, research, production, etc, especially if it is a squad TBS with heavy rpg elements. I can't do games like Breach & Clear that have nothing but combat missions. I also own both Red Solstice and the new Syndicate like game but don't really care much for either.

I don't play survival games since they don't usually have any content beyond surviving. I need direction, goals, something to do.

I have a hard time playing games with ASCII graphics but other than that graphics aren't a problem.

I don't mind if it is a platformer like Dex that I somehow missed, an action game, survival focused, bullet hell, or whatever as long as it is more than a one trick pony game like most survival games or roguelikes seem to be. Most dungeon Crawlers as well. I need towns and npcs, and quests, not just one dungeon and no content like Grimlock.

I'm not sure what 4X stands for but I don't think I like them. I do like some space flying games, especially when they have player skill trees and not just ship upgrading. I liked Void Expanse. I would like Star Wolves a lot if it was 2d, but 3d space games are usually a nightmare for me to control and most of the game is watching my ship or ships fly while I am bored to death. 2d ones usually don't have all the wasted time and nightmare controls. I tried Star Nomads 2 today and didn't really care for it.

I dislike games like HoMM or games that like to rape you by taking all your shit and all your people away at points like Eisenwald.

I tried Witcher 3 and didn't like it since I greatly dislike the character they force you to be and it has no meaningful character development. I have no interest in fake FO4 and will only pick it up as a GOTY edition for 5$ when some decent overhaul mods come out. I didn't even like FONV until I played it with the After War Nevada OH mod, and then I thought it was decent, but not top 50 material.

I think Dark Souls and other hype games like them are complete shit; I think Lords of the Fallen is superior in every possible conceivable way and is not the gold standard for those types of games because of the bandwagon hype mentality.

I have no interest in Undertale or other little kid games.

I have no interest in games chock full 'o pedophilia with sexualized and lingerie wearing little girls.

I also have no interest in Tower defense games since they are one trick ponies without content.

I have no interest in trading card games and I don't understand them or want to.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Please, help me and sorry for the length of this post.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I need a new rpg/game with heavy rpg elements to play and I'm going crazy. Today was the start of a four day weekend and I planned on playing Bombshell but that fell through since it is very rpg-lite. I tried that Ship game where you eat your crew that is having a free steam weekend, and it just didn't seem like it had much character development. I need that deep, hidden gem someone who ignores everything besides crpg news wouldn't know about.

I absolutely need a chardev system that isn't tacked on shit that does nothing.

I like when there are a lot of things to do, like in a crpg.

I have played all the well know crpgs. I dislike console games but am willing to try one if it has meaningful character development that doesn't suck outside of equipment upgrades and also doesn't consist of mainly cutscenes and weird characters that blink in surprise every couple minutes .

I don't play a lot of strategy games so would definitely be open to a game that had more than just combat, like Xcom had with the base building, research, production, etc, especially if it is a squad TBS with heavy rpg elements. I can't do games like Breach & Clear that have nothing but combat missions. I also own both Red Solstice and the new Syndicate like game but don't really care much for either.

I don't play survival games since they don't usually have any content beyond surviving. I need direction, goals, something to do.

I have a hard time playing games with ASCII graphics but other than that graphics aren't a problem.

I don't mind if it is a platformer like Dex that I somehow missed, an action game, survival focused, bullet hell, or whatever as long as it is more than a one trick pony game like most survival games or roguelikes seem to be. Most dungeon Crawlers as well. I need towns and npcs, and quests, not just one dungeon and no content like Grimlock.

I'm not sure what 4X stands for but I don't think I like them. I do like some space flying games, especially when they have player skill trees and not just ship upgrading. I liked Void Expanse. I would like Star Wolves a lot if it was 2d, but 3d space games are usually a nightmare for me to control and most of the game is watching my ship or ships fly while I am bored to death. 2d ones usually don't have all the wasted time and nightmare controls. I tried Star Nomads 2 today and didn't really care for it.

I dislike games like HoMM or games that like to rape you by taking all your shit and all your people away at points like Eisenwald.

I tried Witcher 3 and didn't like it since I greatly dislike the character they force you to be and it has no meaningful character development. I have no interest in fake FO4 and will only pick it up as a GOTY edition for 5$ when some decent overhaul mods come out. I didn't even like FONV until I played it with the After War Nevada OH mod, and then I thought it was decent, but not top 50 material.

I think Dark Souls and other hype games like them are complete shit; I think Lords of the Fallen is superior in every possible conceivable way and is not the gold standard for those types of games because of the bandwagon hype mentality.

I have no interest in Undertale or other little kid games.

I have no interest in games chock full 'o pedophilia with sexualized and lingerie wearing little girls.

I also have no interest in Tower defense games since they are one trick ponies without content.

I have no interest in trading card games and I don't understand them or want to.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Please, help me and sorry for the length of this post.

make your own rpg

Roqua

Prospernaut
I have played underrail to death too recently.
Have you tried the Sims?

No, but I probably should have mentioned I like killing people or other forms of life in games. A game without killing doesn't sound very appealing.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Erm hows about Drakensang: River o Life, thats pretty good, an I don't know cos I ant played it but i've heard some folk ravin about that Dragons Dogma. I'm curious but cautious, smellin a bit o weaboo about it, which no offense just int my thing.

Personally i've loaded up Betrayal at Krondor, stickin wi a classic, an some o best writin ever seen in gamin.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Erm hows about Drakensang: River o Life, thats pretty good, an I don't know cos I ant played it but i've heard some folk ravin about that Dragons Dogma. I'm curious but cautious, smellin a bit o weaboo about it, which no offense just int my thing.

Personally i've loaded up Betrayal at Krondor, stickin wi a classic, an some o best writin ever seen in gamin.

I've played pretty much every crpg there is but those are pretty good games. If you already played BaK you may want to try a game called Betrayal at Rivenlor or something like that. Very good game almost just like it. Krondor 2 is not like it and also came out around the time Ultima 9 did and tie those two together as the some of the start of the consolization and rpg-lite destruction of the crpg, along with LoL and other games that focus on form over function.

Did you play Expeditions: Conquistador and Legends of Xulima? Those were both two recent games that I enjoyed quite a bit that seem to have flown under a lot of people's radars around here.
Valkyria Chronicles was also a pretty enjoyable game, although a bit light on chardev, if you have a decent tolerance for weeaboo bullshit (which I seem to recall you don't).

Oh, and how about Invisible Inc?

Roqua

Prospernaut

Yeah, I pretty much played every crpg ever made.

Did you play Expeditions: Conquistador and Legends of Xulima? Those were both two recent games that I enjoyed quite a bit that seem to have flown under a lot of people's radars around here.
Valkyria Chronicles was also a pretty enjoyable game, although a bit light on chardev, if you have a decent tolerance for weeaboo bullshit (which I seem to recall you don't).

Oh, and how about Invisible Inc?

I refunded Invisible Inc because it didn't seem to have much chardev or much to do outside of missions. Definitely Xulima, and actually enjoyed it for a while with a magic change mod. I haven't played Expedition Conquistador in a while and didn't play it too long when I did play it. I'll fire that up again, thanks for the recoomendation.

Roqua

Prospernaut
If you liked JA2 and XCOM you might like Silent Storm.

Silent Storm was pretty good. Hammer & Sickle is more my kind of game though. Check it out if you like Silent Storm, same engine I think.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
how about some Paper Sorcerer?

or perhaps some Wizardry?

hmm, how about a change of pace, maybe some Dragon Quest?

or perhaps a little more dungeon crawling, good sir?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
...of course when in doubt simply return to the source, mate.

and last but not least why not put rpgs on hold for a sec and throw down with me in street fighter? ;)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
after reading thru roq's OP i can't think of anything better for him to play than wizardry honestly. it fits what he's going on about to the letter.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I don't play a lot of strategy games so would definitely be open to a game that had more than just combat
Chaos Overlords, bitch.

486957-chaos-overlords-windows-screenshot-if-your-gang-chaos-sell.jpg

Apart from combat includes:
-Researches of new equipment
-Spying and snitching on your enemies
-Extorting money from local areas and bribing the bolis to stay away from your affairs
-Racketeering
-Pretty original gang (unit) descriptions and types
-A bunch of stats for each gang (unit), which affect their ability to do all things listed above (also combat-related stuff and healing abilities too). They can be slightly affected by the equipment.

(also good soundtrack)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom