Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Plea to help get Dominions 3 onto Steam - Complex, deep, engaging 4x fantasy game. Hugely Underrated

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I hope the codex can help me with this one, given that lots of people play and many others should be playing but don't because they are twitchfags who only play Blizzard Blabber.

It is known my love for Dominions 3, but I find it a very underrated game. It has, by far, the most complex 4x strategy depth from all games out there, old and new. Learning curve is a bit steep, but the possibilities the game provides are literally endless. Dozens of factions, hundreds of spells and items, thousands of different units. Never mind the graphics, they only allow for ease of development. And it's still being updated.

Here's a long writeup about the game mechanics, core, reviews, automated play-by-email servers and commented games I posted some months ago.

Today I found this plea on my email from the owner of the biggest game server, that made me very sad and encouraged to post here:

Hi,
llamabeast here. This email is basically a plea to help get Dominions 3 onto Steam, and hopefully expose thousands of new players to this wonderful game. You're receiving it because, as someone who's played in the past on the llamaserver, I thought it was a fair bet that you might take an interest in all things Dominions 3 even if you haven't played recently.

So, a bit of background: Illwinter's contract with Shrapnel has finally run out, and with their newfound freedom they've put in an application to have Dominions 3 available on Steam. Steam has a system called Greenlight for evaluating potential new additions to their catalogue. Basically there is a page for each game, and they watch how many people take an interest in it.

Thus far, according to Johan (the coding half of Illwinter), Dom3 is not on track to make it on to Steam. There has been a fair amount of interest (maybe around half of what would be needed), but right now it's not looking good. However if everyone who received this email went onto the Greenlight page and commented in favour, it would basically be a slam dunk.

The page is here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123485567

If you would like to help, please click "Yes", on "Would you buy this game?", and more importantly, write a short comment in the comments section. For some reason it seems to be the comments that they count.

As of this writing there are about 500 comments. Johan reckons they need maybe 1000 to get onto Steam. This email is going out to 1523 people. (Pretty amazing how many people have used the llamaserver over time! As an aside I also found while preparing this email that a total of 6450 nations have battled on the llamaserver!)

As you may have guessed, I think it would be really great to get Dom3 on Steam. Steam brings access to a huge increased audience and great marketing capabilities, whereas Shrapnel and Desura are at best quite obscure. I'd hope that a renewed influx of players would breathe new life into the modding and multiplayer communities (which are actually both incredibly healthy almost 7 years after release - but more people is always good).

I hope you don't mind me taking advantage of having your email address to spam you this one time. Illwinter don't know I'm doing this, and I don't have a direct vested interest. But as many of you will know, I really love this game, and very much want its community to continue to thrive long into the future.

Cheers,

llama

Would it be too much to ask for a simple Yes on the Greenlight page, and maybe an encouraging comment? I know this is the Codex and positivity is against the rules, but...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hey guys, come and vote to get DRM added to your favourite game!

Or rather, come and vote to get a DRM version of the game added to a platform where the developers could make tens -- if not hundreds -- of thousands of dollars.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They couldnt make those money because they would have to first finish their game, at least before selling it. Like implementing an AI and maybe some multiplayer code that isnt pbem.

On a unrelated note I actually find Dom3 to be overrated. I really wanted to like it but the micro is killing me and AI isnt challenging at all.

Johannes

Arcane
They couldnt make those money because they would have to first finish their game, at least before selling it. Like implementing an AI and maybe some multiplayer code that isnt pbem.

On a unrelated note I actually find Dom3 to be overrated. I really wanted to like it but the micro is killing me and AI isnt challenging at all.
It's a finished game.

laclongquan

Arcane

It's a finished game.

I thought he's being ironic and/or sarcastic?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

It's a finished game.

I thought he's being ironic and/or sarcastic?

I was, I know its just indie "quality" of adding tons of, well very nice indeed, stuff and mechanics that just does not really work.

Overboard

Arcane

Or rather, come and vote to get a DRM version of the game added to a platform where the developers could make tens -- if not hundreds -- of thousands of dollars.

Bass%20fish%202.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Done. I'm just glad they finally came to their senses and started branching out to digital retailers instead of sticking to their own site and ridiculous price barrier.

Mortmal

Arcane
Already greenlighted it ages ago when i saw it, its sad they have to beg for it when theres so many shitty casual game that are making it with ease. I hope making thousands of dollars will not make their next game more mainstream.

DakaSha

Arcane
Done. I'm just glad they finally came to their senses and started branching out to digital retailers instead of sticking to their own site and ridiculous price barrier.

Their own site? Did you even read the email?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Bass%20fish%202.jpg

Har har, yes Steam tards and whatnot. But, seriously, put aside the anti-Steam fetish and try to be objective. A developer wants to sell copies of their games. It's sort of how they feed, clothe, and shelter themselves.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Yes? Is there a miscommunication of some kind here? English isn't my first language so it's possible.

mondblut

Arcane
Here's a novel idea: make the better and prettier Dominions 4, then go on Steam with it. Everybody wins.

DakaSha

Arcane

Yes? Is there a miscommunication of some kind here? English isn't my first language so it's possible.

They had a contract with shrapnel. It wasnt up to them

mondblut

Arcane
Here's a novel idea: make the better and prettier Dominions 4, then go on Steam with it. Everybody wins.

That is happening too, but meanwhile.

*shrug* me, I voted the day it appeared there, and probably left a comment too. Still, being a selfish swine, I'd rather have a new game than have them dwelling further on their laurels 7 years after releasing the old one :smug:

And yeah, gog must be a much better choice. Then again, Greenlight isn't so much a way to get a publishing deal as it is a way to generally get a word out. Free advertisement platform. Not to mention IW are DRM-obsessed; they were banning the fucking manual from being available in pdf form for 5 years out of fear the evil pirates would get their hands upon it and figure how to play the game :roll:

Alex

Arcane

Bass%20fish%202.jpg

Har har, yes Steam tards and whatnot. But, seriously, put aside the anti-Steam fetish and try to be objective. A developer wants to sell copies of their games. It's sort of how they feed, clothe, and shelter themselves.

Being objective, I don't really care what the developer wants. What I do want is for games to be sold in a sane system, where I own them and I am able to sell them.

Repressed Homosexual
Steam Greenlight is extremely stupid and horrible, more trouble and hoops to go through. And of course, those who don't have a legion of drooling 18 years-old fanboys and make actually deep and intelligent games are screwed. Go to hell Valve, I'll never buy anything from them ever.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Being objective, I don't really care what the developer wants.

Except that's not being objective. Moreover, no one argued the game should be a Steam exclusive.

...where I own them and I am able to sell them.

If you want to resell games might I suggest the current generation of consoles? Also pretty sure you can't 'sell' your games on GOG. Sure you can just transfer someone a file but good luck finding someone willing to pay for it versus a boxed copy (which is a niche market, anyway, at this point).

Alex

Arcane
Being objective, I don't really care what the developer wants.

Except that's not being objective. Moreover, no one argued the game should be a Steam exclusive.

How so? I am looking at what I want without considering if it is "fair" or "right", or applying any biases of what thoughts I may have about this or that developer or publisher.

Also, it doesn't matter if it is Steam exclusive or not. What matters is that the more Steam grows, the more commonplace ignoring these concerns will be.

Edit: If I was trying to not be objective, I would say something like "Dominions 3 is too beautiful for Steam".

...where I own them and I am able to sell them.

If you want to resell games might I suggest the current generation of consoles?

I also want to play the game. :M

Also pretty sure you can't 'sell' your games on GOG. Sure you can just transfer someone a file but good luck finding someone willing to pay for it versus a boxed copy (which is a niche market, anyway, at this point).

I never said GOG was a great alternative to Steam, although it is better in that at least it doesn't run its own program while you play your game. I think I buy boxed versions of any game I consider worth buying in first place. I do buy Steam version of single player sometimes, but only if their overall price is the same as renting, which is close to what I am doing anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom