Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Playing PS:T for the first time

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did in 2005. All that reactivity and intricate dialogue made me feel all warm and tingly inside.

I tried replaying it a few months ago...meh.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
This thread inspired me to re-play PST after a lot of years.

Trouble is - with GOG version I get the infinitely scrolling to the top-left bug. The only way to get rid of it is to unplug the keyboard or keep camera centered on TNO all the time.

Does anyone have a way to fix this shit? It is enough that PST interface doesn't age well, but fighting the camera is terrible bullshit!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This thread inspired me to re-play PST after a lot of years.

Trouble is - with GOG version I get the infinitely scrolling to the top-left bug. The only way to get rid of it is to unplug the keyboard or keep camera centered on TNO all the time.

Does anyone have a way to fix this shit? It is enough that PST interface doesn't age well, but fighting the camera is terrible bullshit!
Since it looks like it's a keyboard-related bug, have tried using an old/spare keyboard ? If it's a USB one how about attaching an adaptor to plug it into the old keyboard port and see if this helps. Have you installed the fixpack ? It has many engine tweaks and improvements that may resolve this issue.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Not having an old/spare, though I may have some usb/ps2 adaptor somewhere - good idea, will check it out. Switching USB ports does not help, despite the fact they are a mesh of USB2.0 and 3.0s blugged into different mobo slots.

In general, I've noticed that holding "shift" stops any camera movement for happening. I don't have sticky keys on though (I think), will check it while home. Still odd behaviour - maybe drivers?

I have installed the fixpack, but a bit of googling doesn't inspire with confidence - seems to be some crap IE engine bug that pops out sometimes because fuck you.. No fix and no way to reliably reproduce on different hardware configs.

So probably "center on TNO" forever for me.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who are obsessed with fixing games before they've even played them through once. [...] Is there some kind of problem with just firing up games and suck it and see?

No, but if someone fixed an annoying thing why wouldn't you use it? "Shit, selling items one at a time sure is tedious...what's this? A mod that lets me sell whole stacks at once? Sounds tempting...but it would taint the purity of the experience. I must resist."

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Still got my 4CD big box version of this game. Soon will do another replay. No matter how many times I fire it up it always pulls me in.

This is not my first playthrough but you can call it that since I never got to finish the game. After finishing Pillars of Eternity I resumed my save and now I'm level 7 with Nameless One. I am playing it only with bigger fonts because I love to watch the sprites and I really don't like to see tiny characters on higher resolutions. Such a wonderful game ! So much better then PoE in terms of story and I can't believe that I considered innovations the fact that you don't need to wait for the players to exit the scene in order to go further, in PS:T every character you click to let's say walk into a building the rest of the party will fallow. Also I love that only Nameless one will talk to people. Did I mention we have pickpocket? Jesus! How hard is it to make more great games like that? I guess it's impossible....until Numenera or PoE expansion I will only play PS:T. BTW: Shitter 3 it's out and my laptop with I7 cannot play that...no matter it's dull anyway compared to this masterpiece. One more thing I love about PS:T : I can play it on my laptop (hell I can even play it on my Android phone with GemRB) , Wasteland 2 I can play as well without connecting the power cable , but PoE will stutter like hell if I try it :)

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
PST is still a visually stunning game. Its more zoomed in than than the other iso games using that engine, and so there is much more detail. Plus it doesnt look like its been assembled in an editor, every place looks unique and handcrafted.

I am at Carceri and I can't believe how much fun I am having. I have to say that this game has a lot of combat that is mandatory. I thought it will be most dialogue like in Sigil but after Sigil there is a lot of fighting and less dialogue. A shame combat is as it is but I can't wait to finish the story and see the ending. This is one of the games that I really wanted to finish since 1999. Also I might start BG2 because I never got to finish it and Pillars of Eternity made me want to return to Infinity Engine games to see how much better they were. But not Icewind Dale. I will not play that because it is mostly hack and slash :) I still think Arcanum is the best RPG ever made and really hope they will make a spiritual successor. PS:T still has the best story in an RPG. Wonder why the hell this is the only RPG that ask really complex questions and does not make you fight dragons and other monsters that we are so fed up with...

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
PST is an incredible package. Its in a league of its own. I never got the complaints about combat. Sure its no Jagged Alliance, but i finished the game with low INT and high STR fighter and loved the game.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Why all the hate against fighting dragons? I like fighting dragons.

Concerning PS:T, I hadn't got any complaint about combat either.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
I am at Carceri and I can't believe how much fun I am having. I have to say that this game has a lot of combat that is mandatory. I thought it will be most dialogue like in Sigil but after Sigil there is a lot of fighting and less dialogue. A shame combat is as it is but I can't wait to finish the story and see the ending. This is one of the games that I really wanted to finish since 1999. Also I might start BG2 because I never got to finish it and Pillars of Eternity made me want to return to Infinity Engine games to see how much better they were. But not Icewind Dale. I will not play that because it is mostly hack and slash :) I still think Arcanum is the best RPG ever made and really hope they will make a spiritual successor. PS:T still has the best story in an RPG. Wonder why the hell this is the only RPG that ask really complex questions and does not make you fight dragons and other monsters that we are so fed up with...

If you think that PST has a lot of mandatory combat, you're playing it in a brute-force approach.

These are the only fights you can't skip and will have to fight out:
1. The first zombie
2. Ravel
3. Trias
4. Ignus/Vhailor in the Fortress of Regrets

Everything is either avoidable (the fight doesn't start) or skippable (give 'em the laugh!).
You don't have to fight a single mob in Baator, and you don't have to cut down (the infinitely-respawning) fiends in Carceri. The Undersigil and the Modron Maze are also very much skippable. Same goes for the Catacombs. It's pretty hard to skip fighting in the Curst prison, but it can be pulled off as well. And these are pretty much the only enemy-heavy areas in the game.

Sure, you wouldn't be able to complete some quests, and you wouldn't be able to achieve some of the outcomes of some other quests, but most of the game can be resolved by chatter.

Why all the hate against fighting dragons? I like fighting dragons.

Concerning PS:T, I hadn't got any complaint about combat either.

Don't mind the dragons per se I wanted to say the usual D&D monsters that we are so used to . PS:T has very interesting monsters. Diablo as well ( well I guess they where made very close Diablo 1996 - PS:T 1999). I love the dragons that have interesting dialogue like the ones in BG :D

Last edited:
If you think that PST has a lot of mandatory combat, you're playing it in a brute-force approach.

These are the only fights you can't skip and will have to fight out:
1. The first zombie
2. Ravel
3. Trias
4. Ignus/Vhailor in the Fortress of Regrets

Everything is either avoidable (the fight doesn't start) or skippable (give 'em the laugh!).
You don't have to fight a single mob in Baator, and you don't have to cut down (the infinitely-respawning) fiends in Carceri. The Undersigil and the Modron Maze are also very much skippable. Same goes for the Catacombs. It's pretty hard to skip fighting in the Curst prison, but it can be pulled off as well. And these are pretty much the only enemy-heavy areas in the game.

Sure, you wouldn't be able to complete some quests, and you wouldn't be able to achieve some of the outcomes of some other quests, but most of the game can be resolved by chatter.

Yes I did learn that I can skin some of the fights. For example in Carceri the nr of mobs that spawn is very high so I managed to enter the building while skipping some of the fights.

Cthulhu_is_love

Don't mind the dragons per se I wanted to say the usual D&D monsters that we are so used to . PS:T has very interesting monsters. Diablo as well ( well I guess they where made very close Diablo 1996 - PS:T 1999). I love the dragons that have interesting dialogue like the ones in BG :D

When there's anything i can't stand than it's speaking dragons. Dragons have to be dumb loud monsters for me.

valcik

Arcane
Any self-respecting Nameless One should summon Moridor's fiend and rip his balls off with Heartgrinder axe I say!

Catfish

Learned
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who are obsessed with fixing games before they've even played them through once.
I can only answer for myself, obviously. In my case the cause is time. I simply don't have enough time to play as many games and as much as I would like. Thus, when playing I don't want the product to be half-baked if it can be avoided.

PS:T actually feels a lot more polished compared to its peers. I played it for the first time only a few years ago, no mods whatsoever, not even the resolution stuff, and it was a blast in every respect.

"This is it" The Nameless One is saying at the end. Finally managed to pull it of last night and finish the game.Managed to reach level 25 by the end .Outstanding game in every aspect. Even the fight was good for me. I managed to merge with my mortality.So no ending slides showing how the world has changed based on my choices? HA! Can you imagine Obisidian without one. I fell like I need more games like this but unfortunately only Pillars of Eternity is close to it.I don't think they can make a better game then PS:T. I don't think there is a company out there that can have such great ideas and implement them in a game anymore. Sad about this. When PS:T was launched I didn't like it I must admit. I read around all magazines back in the day as to how great the game was but I really didn't like the infinity engine and played a lot of Fallout . I considered Fallout to be superior in every way but what the hell did I know back then? I was to little to understand the complex writing of PS:T or the question that the game asked the player. I am so happy that I finally managed to have the time to finish it. I still like Arcanum more though , Fallout 2 and 1 and then PS:T in that order. But Nameless One is the best character ever! I don't get how people finish it in 20 hours. It took me more then Pillars of Eternity to finish although the game does not show how much. So let's keep fingers crossed for Tides of Numenera. It will be like Wasteland 2 : a good game but not a masterpiece. It should be better because of the interesting setting but it won't.
And now MCA left Obsidian...we are doomed...

Last edited:
WOW so the Enhanced Edition of BG has the zoom in / out feature and large font. I will play that thank you! Wonder why the hell they didn't do PS:T EE so I would not have to mod it in order to read and crash the game so often. Is it because of the license?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom