Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Playing PS:T for the first time

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
IWD felt empty and soulless to me: all those silent, lifeless characters with no reason to be there, a story presented in a bland, impersonal way.

Your arse is empty and soulless. IWD gives you an opportunity to create and roleplay whatever party and personalities you want. The combat is much better and creative than BG1 due to carefully-designed encounters. In BG1 it's simple facerolling.

IWD is not about the story, it's about replayability.

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't understand why you people keep forcing super high resolutions on these old games. It makes everything look tiny and far away. I don't mind playing at 800x600 or whatever the game was supposed to be in, I think it ends up looking better. Have fun with PS:T, meng! I played it for the first time recently and it was fun, just make sure you never read any spoilers about anything.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah resolution should be adjusted to your screen size. It is not 3D game where the bigger res the better IQ

As for trying PST for first time... you fucking lucky bastard. I wish there was some reset button in brain and at the same time i don't want it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I've found out that good resolution for ie games is about 1024xsomething or 1200xsomething, nice balance between visibility and playability, original resolution for pst is imo a bit small as you see too short distance on screen.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've found out that good resolution for ie games is about 1024xsomething or 1200xsomething, nice balance between visibility and playability, original resolution for pst is imo a bit small as you see too short distance on screen.
You'll get shitty scaling unless exactly half.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Be sure to play it again soon after you finish it. It’s never as sweet as the second time and onwards.

Perkel

Arcane
you know what i am after PoE and now i want to play PST. Though this time really dumb guy but with lots of power for a change.

A user named cat

Contrary to most widescreen mods, I would not recommend playing at full 1920x1080 as mentioned earlier. It causes the fog of war to flicker and shimmer, looks like garbage and is quite annoying on the eyes. The UI buttons are already small enough as is too, they only get tinier the higher res you choose.

Though tuluse suggested half res, I found that 1600x900 is the sweet spot for this game actually (at least on a 1920x1080 screen) and still looks perfectly fine when scaled to fullscreen. It doesn't muck up the fog, everything remains quite sharp and there are no major side effects that I've encountered. You will also want to choose a larger font during the install. This is how it'll look:

cfisher2833

Learned
I don't understand why you people keep forcing super high resolutions on these old games. It makes everything look tiny and far away. I don't mind playing at 800x600 or whatever the game was supposed to be in, I think it ends up looking better. Have fun with PS:T, meng! I played it for the first time recently and it was fun, just make sure you never read any spoilers about anything.

For most IE games I'd agree with you, but at least to me, Planescape looked amazing at 1080p. I never thought anything looked too tiny whatsoever. To each their own though.

btw, "forcing?" Really?

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I played through again maybe a year ago with the above mods. I enjoyed many of the mods, especially those that expanded dialogue options, restored content, the ui and graphics mods were mandatory but i was pleasantly surprised by how good it looked. I also enjoy mods that prevent characters from getting angry and leaving your party or attacking you to avoid losing out on my favorite personality's story because i bungled a mission.

also -- screw iwd. I tried it over and over again over they years and decided it's just not for me. It was all my least favorite aspects of BG and PST with none of the good stuff. Ive decided ill never be a hacknslash guy no matter how good the game is. I was bored two tears 20min into Torchlight 2, Diablo 2, Path Of Exile, et al.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
You'll get shitty scaling unless exactly half.

You're probably right but doesn't that depend on the monitor? My monitor is great at scaling so I've never had that problem.

Naraya

Arcane
Again - thanks for your input everyone, I really appreciate it.

As soon as I'm done with PoE and KotOR (picked it up recently as well, I'm amazed how good it is even compared to KotOR2) - I'm going to immerse myself in PS:T and bask in its glory.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Necro, but what the hell.
So, I finally managed to acquire PS:T, thanks to the awesome sale going on at GOG right now.
Question @ experts: should I follow this modding guide? http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide

edit: oh boy, this is gonna be fun

Have fun.
My advise: don't actually "role play" by creating the character you want. Better stick with the default fighter.
Although I didn't try the other classes, I was terribly disappointed on my last (attempted) play through that choosing to become a mage basically screws you for 3-4 levels of experience.

Decided I was better off playing Arcanum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Modron

Arcane
Have fun.
My advise: don't actually "role play" by creating the character you want. Better stick with the default fighter.
Although I didn't try the other classes, I was terribly disappointed on my last (attempted) play through that choosing to become a mage basically screws you for 3-4 levels of experience.

Decided I was better off playing Arcanum.

I would ignore this post for the most part, the more non-fighterish stats like int, wis, and cha tend to unlock lots of options in dialogs and a lot of bonuses (Granted con, dex, and str make appearances as well). Might as well get good mileage out of said Int by being a mage and given that some of the later game spells have no damage per level caps you can really be a walking nuke factory.

Plus you can jump back and forth between the three classes via specific trainers so it's not like you're screwed if being a mage isn't for you.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who are obsessed with fixing games before they've even played them through once. I fired up Rome: Total War the other day, I can't believe it's been over 10 years since that puppy first set foot on the earth, and, inevitably, I had a few questions on stuff so I went to a couple of Total War forums and 80% of content is mod this, fix that, customise the other. In ten pages of threads I only opened about 10 threads, and most of those deviated into the modding community.

Is there some kind of problem with just firing up games and suck it and see? PS:T isn't the kind of game where you want to risk any form of spoilers whatsoever, even the slightest peep, I'd recommend regretting even mentioning that you're about to play it to anyone as my main recommendation.

Also, re: Icewind Dale, I've found that people who like Conversation Windmills (of the mind) throughout their RPGs don't like Icewind Dale, but everyone who doesn't mind going 3 feet without exposition really loves it...

(edit: apparently there's an excellent mod which puts more Conversation Windmills into IWD... Still waiting for the one that removes them from BG2... ;) )

shocking disclosure: never played ps;t

which version [unmodded] is best; gaben or gog

mind you; if theres a decent widescreen mod - 1920 x 1080 - then i will comfortably splay my diseased asscheeks to places never attempted before

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I prefer to play at 1280x720, 80% bigger fonts. But frankly, it mostly depends on the size of the monitor and the distance you're from it.

As for where to get it, I believe the only online digital-download to buy it is GOG. IIRC GOG has used the 2CD version of PST as base. The 2CD version has been rarely known to show some random crashing due to area files corruption because of the increased/crappy compression. The best version is probably the original 4CD one, but that can be bought only on ebay or something.

I believe the most complete, step by step, mod guide can be found here, but I haven't looked at guides for some time now : http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.gr/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

The FIXPACK is mandatory IMO. Tweak pack is not required but has some pretty nice options, I'd say it's best to go one by one and see what it's about, if you've played any other IE games you'll know what to choose. Unfinished Business is better reserved for future playthroughs.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
There was a DVD re-release from Interplay a few years back, though I'm not sure whether the 2CD version or the 4CD version was used for that.

EDIT UPDATED MY JOURNAL: Just checked, it's based on the 4CD version.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who are obsessed with fixing games before they've even played them through once.
I can only answer for myself, obviously. In my case the cause is time. I simply don't have enough time to play as many games and as much as I would like. Thus, when playing I don't want the product to be half-baked if it can be avoided.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom