Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Playing PS:T for the first time

Naraya

Arcane
Necro, but what the hell.
So, I finally managed to acquire PS:T, thanks to the awesome sale going on at GOG right now.
Question @ experts: should I follow this modding guide? http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide

edit: oh boy, this is gonna be fun

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Definintely go with the UI mods.

Haven't played with any of the fixpack stuff.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Aenra

Playing PS:T for the first time

And as stated, go for them, as per guide. Just check if there is a newer widescreen mod out there than the one linked/listed, used to be at some time you could have crashes at a certain plot-central NPC's house in specific. Honestly not sure if it's been fixed since. And have fun! You lucky bastard...

cfisher2833

Learned
I think some of the links in that guide are broken. Here's my imgur album of the game with working links in it: http://imgur.com/a/AbzBk#1

YhyDq3v.png

The only issue is that the game can ocassionally crash when you enter certain buildings. The art gallery place was really bad about it, but I am pretty sure the game auto-saves every time you enter or exit, so it's not too huge an issue.

Naraya

Arcane
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. Links from the guide are working fine and I've downloaded the most current version of mentioned mods.

pippin - so you say I shouldn't go for added/restored content? Can I ask why not?

BTW I'm really excited. I've heard so much about PS:T but I just never got around/didn't have time to PLAY it. Yep - that's it - I've never played it, don't really know the story (just bits and pieces) etc. Actually I'm wondering if I should get IWD as well while it's on sale (loved BG saga!)...

pippin

pippin - so you say I shouldn't go for added/restored content? Can I ask why not?

Restored content might be OK at first, but the tweak patches are sometimes borderline cheating and/or introduce changes that alter the way the game works. I think the readmes and guides reccomend certain options from these. It's just a personal opinion, though, as a first playthrough should always be done in vanilla form. I don't remember if PST had any game breaking bugs, so you should be ok with widescreen for the moment.
Still, it's up to you :P

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, I finally managed to acquire PS:T, thanks to the awesome sale going on at GOG right now.
Question @ experts: should I follow this modding guide? http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide

What resolution is your monitor?

I ask because it's probably best to run the game at half the resolution of your monitor, but it depends (if you're stuck on a crappy 768p screen, it's not).

Obama Phone 3

Learned

Thas all u need mayne.

PS > I recently played PST + all mods back-to-back with Fallout 2 + Newest Restoration Project and will tell you that FO2's writing was much better.

mastroego

Arcane
Actually I'm wondering if I should get IWD as well while it's on sale (loved BG saga!)...

If you love BG stay the hell away from IWD.
Unless you have lots of free time and you won't get bothered by playing a game that apes incompetently the better one.
Gone are ALL the fun spells, gone the fun characters and party interactions, gone the little bits of freedom that you could enjoy now and then.
Nice art and music though.

Modron

Arcane
Actually I'm wondering if I should get IWD as well while it's on sale (loved BG saga!)...
Gone are ALL the fun spells, gone the fun characters and party interactions

Wasn't aware BG 1 had either of those in spades, IWD is every bit as acceptable as the first Baldur's Gate granted it's a bit more linear (none of that pick a direction and go exploration) but some of it's areas are far better done (eg the severed hand) then anything found in the first game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What resolution is your monitor?
I'm running 1920x1080.
Yeah, with widescreen mod you should run at 960x540. This way the size of things will be very close to how they looked on a 15/17 inch monitor in the 90s and you shouldn't get ugly scaling with your LCD.

It's tricky to enable resolutions that low in windows, but I can find a guide for you if you like (will depend if you have ATI/AMD or Nvidia).

cfisher2833

Learned
Eh, I no problem playing at 1080p. It looks a shit ton better at 1080p than other IE games.

Naraya

Arcane
Yeah, with widescreen mod you should run at 960x540. This way the size of things will be very close to how they looked on a 15/17 inch monitor in the 90s and you shouldn't get ugly scaling with your LCD.
Hmm interesting, I'll try with different options and see how it looks.

Modron

Arcane

Didn't changing resolutions via the mod mid game kind of fuck up saves? Should probably ask ghostdog before you try IIRC.

tuluse

Arcane

Didn't changing resolutions via the mod mid game kind of fuck up saves? Should probably ask ghostdog before you try IIRC.
You can go smaller, but not bigger (but this might have been fixed at some point too).

mastroego

Arcane
Gone are ALL the fun spells, gone the fun characters and party interactions

Wasn't aware BG 1 had either of those in spades, IWD is every bit as acceptable as the first Baldur's Gate granted it's a bit more linear (none of that pick a direction and go exploration) but some of it's areas are far better done (eg the severed hand) then anything found in the first game.
Well, less spells than BG2 obviously, but it's still light years ahead of IWD. Not to mention, the expansion was great.
AND, you want to play it for continuity with BG2, since there actually is something to continue.
IWD felt empty and soulless to me: all those silent, lifeless characters with no reason to be there, a story presented in a bland, impersonal way.
You'd think: well, they must have focused on the combat, then! Instead, it was, again, a sub-par copy of BG even in that aspect.
I don't know, I don't even remember the specifics, I just remember thinking "this is a pale mockery of BG" and never touching it again since.

Though I repeat, the art and music were nice (which makes the overall blandness even more unforgivable)

zwanzig_zwoelf

But is there a mod to rotate the camera and set over the shoulder perspective like in Mass Effect?
:troll:

Atomkilla

Arcane

Restored content might be OK at first, but the tweak patches are sometimes borderline cheating and/or introduce changes that alter the way the game works. I think the readmes and guides reccomend certain options from these. It's just a personal opinion, though, as a first playthrough should always be done in vanilla form. I don't remember if PST had any game breaking bugs, so you should be ok with widescreen for the moment.
Still, it's up to you :P

He should definitely use the fixpack, but install only some of the stuff.

IIRC Weidu fixpack is a must for removing all bugs n shit, and Qwinn's is a must, at least parts of it:

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/649-qwinns-pst-tweak-pack-v412/

Install:

- Banter Accelerator (30 mins)
- Stackable Rings, Charms, Bracelets, Scrolls
- Save Nordom! Tweak

You might want to install - BG2-Style THAC0 Display, which, as it says, makes stats more like those in BG2. Depends on your preferences. I did not find it necessary, but it can be okay. You can ignore the rest for your first playthrough.
Stackable rings and stuff is, technically, sort of cheating, since, well, you can stack stuff and devs didn't intend on it, but in my opinion, it makes the game a lot more smoother to play without unnecessary inventory management. PS:T is all about story, and there are plenty of important items to pick up on the way, so you don't want your inventory filled with unnecessary garbage which serves no purpose expect to be dumped at the nearest vendor taking all the space in your backpack.
Banter Accelerator is a must, as it says, it accelerates party banter which is golden.
Save Nordom...I don't want to get into details here, since it would be quite spoilerish, but I think it is quite useful.

Of course, mod the game before starting your adventure. Your save will probably get corrupted.

And yes, you are a lucky fucker. I would trade left testicles of every Kodex member for a chance to play it again for the first time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom