Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Playing Might and Magic VI for the first time

Luzur

Good Sir
Well, both U9 and MM9 are at the same level of bad, but i say play MM9 with all the fanpatches you can get, like Bones patch.

Also, game every MM game in the series from 1-9.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I tried MM9 and it's unbearable. I have no trouble playing ugly games, games from before I was born even but MM9 isn't ugly, it's an abomination straight out of a prosperian hell :abyssgazer:

A user named cat

Finally completed this mediocre game. So relieved it's over. What a major decline from VI, next to no interesting areas or dungeons throughout the whole game and it just became a drag to get through.

pxPfzhu.jpg

A user named cat

You mean the city of cramped hallways with dwarves that infuriatingly block your path every ten feet? That Stone City?

There were absolutely no drawn-out or remotely complex dungeons in the entire game. I don't understand how anyone thought this was okay when VI set the bar so high and all they had to do was continue the ride but they never tried once. It's like they brought in monkeys to design the maps in VII and fling their shit at a wall to come up with the disjointed town layouts and then had disinterested elementary school kids work on the dungeons. There was just no sense of care about the game or anything that didn't scream "rushed". What a shame.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Had this installed for more than a year now but would you still recommend a play-through or just uninstall?

Edit: MMVII i mean.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know I could Google the info but I'm curious -- what is a preferred party build for this game? I probably won't follow it exactly as I don't like to use overpowered builds but a guideline would help. MM6 was of course sorcerers + cleric/druid. Just firing this game up after setting up Grayface, I see you can now choose your race along with class. Taking a cue from Wizardry I see.
The best party depends on which side you're gonna go with.

Dark: Cleric/Sorc/Sorc/Sorc
Light: Knight/???(i prefer monk but another knight or a thief is good too if you want some variety)/Cleric/Sorc

all the mixed melee/spellcaster classes are shit in this game. You could also replace one of the sorcerers with an archer if you want more variety for the dark party

Dark side gives you access to highly destructive dark magic and light side gives you access to really nice light buffs, so light goes well with a melee heavy party and dark with a spellcaster heavy party.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
You mean the city of cramped hallways with dwarves that infuriatingly block your path every ten feet? That Stone City?

There were absolutely no drawn-out or remotely complex dungeons in the entire game. I don't understand how anyone thought this was okay when VI set the bar so high and all they had to do was continue the ride but they never tried once. It's like they brought in monkeys to design the maps in VII and fling their shit at a wall to come up with the disjointed town layouts and then had disinterested elementary school kids work on the dungeons. There was just no sense of care about the game or anything that didn't scream "rushed". What a shame.

You obviously didn't play it properly. The way to play it is to make the trip to eeofol with an invisible party that gets curbstomped if it touches even one of the behemoths in those cramped fucking tunels. Once there you cast resist magic and drink up thousands of skill points from the wishing well, then proceed to completely obliterate everything that stands in your way with 4 GM dark spellcasters firing dragon breaths at everything that moves.

A user named cat

Had this installed for more than a year now but would you still recommend a play-through or just uninstall?

Edit: MMVII i mean.
No. In the end, I found it a complete waste of time. Better off replaying VI or something else entirely. Almost everything in the entire game was a decline in design; from all the areas and maps to the stupid skill restrictions to even the transition from realistic avatars to CG. The only improvements were the soundtrack and ability to map keys in the menu, everything else was pretty shit.

You obviously didn't play it properly. The way to play it is to make the trip to eeofol with an invisible party that gets curbstomped if it touches even one of the behemoths in those cramped fucking tunels. Once there you cast resist magic and drink up thousands of skill points from the wishing well, then proceed to completely obliterate everything that stands in your way with 4 GM dark spellcasters firing dragon breaths at everything that moves.
I didn't say the game was difficult or had any problem in those tunnels. Bohemoths were easy HP sponges simply for the fact that the game devs were too stupid to realize that these larger enemies can easily get stuck in these tunnels while you can sit there sniping them.

Maybe the first couple hours were slightly difficult due to the slow experience grinding. By the end, the game was a boring cakewalk. I could cast haste, trot around holding down attack and rapid firing blaster shots with little care. There wasn't even a final boss. I bumrushed through that sunken ship in like 10 minutes fighting boring bots to retrieve a part then it was all over like the premature ejactulation of Crispy's first sexual experience.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
No. In the end, I found it a complete waste of time. Better off replaying VI or something else entirely. Almost everything in the entire game was a decline in design; from all the areas and maps to the stupid skill restrictions to even the transition from realistic avatars to CG. The only improvements were the soundtrack and ability to map keys in the menu, everything else was pretty shit.
:hero:

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Nonsense. VII is great and well worth playing.

Yea i'm probably still going to give it a whirl. Need to see for myself if it's shit or good. Most people on the dex' from what i've read seem to like it more than dislike.

A user named cat

Nonsense. VII is great and well worth playing.
No, it's not. I'm frowning after your post, thanks a lot.

VII was just terrible in comparison to VI. If you're going to put out a combat-heavy RPG with plenty of dungeon exploring, you might consider designing halfway decent dungeons. That shit was on a Bethesda level of laziness. There was not a single memorable area in the entire game and no dungeons that lasted longer than maybe 30 minutes tops. VI had huge, complex dungeons that could last for hours.

YddZa9H.jpg
9n7vxbm.jpg

The largest dungeons in VII were nothing but bland caves and tunnels where larger enemies could easily get stuck. What fun is that? The Titans area was just a complete joke, as you could stand there as dragons glitched out, trapped against pillars while you snipe. Don't even get me started on the horrid design of The Pit. In order to reach the castle, you must travel back and forth down a tunnel to teleport 3 times. Then to reach the throne room, you must hop on a boat and warp twice because making a boat move is too much programming work. Worth playing my ass.

I've reinstalled VI to check out The Chaos Conspiracy mod and it's glorious incline all around. Even the spell book UI is light years better to use. Just such an overall better game every regard.

Dux

Arcane
According to GOG Galaxy it took me 59h and 14m to complete MM6. I know that's a lie because GOG Galaxy isn't exactly great at logging time. Anyway, that was rougly a year ago now that I revisited one of my favourite games of all time.

The first time I played it, however, was long ago. It was the summer of '99 - I think. It was one the best summers ever. It was sunny almost every day. Clear blue skies and all that good shit. Where was I? My eleven year old ass was sitting inside playing MM6 and HoMM2. Some might say I wasted that summer but those people don't know shit about Might and Magic. Sucked me right in. Playing it again now, I'm both glad and relieved to discover that it wasn't all nostalgia. The game is good. Maybe not as good as its sibling HoMM2 but still pretty damn good. The music, the sound, the world. Hearing the tranquil New Sorpigal theme while traipsing across the map will never grow old.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
7's dungeons were too small but 6's were too big. I never finished it because it just got way too tedious. The game's pacing is horrible. Also, the point of my post wasn't to help you out because the game is too hard, it was to make it fun. The thing that makes 7 the best m&m is how powerful it allows you to get, and the behemoth tunnels are an entirely different experience when you're trying to sneak through at a low level with a time limited invisibility spell.

A user named cat

How can a dungon be too big in a game that emphasizes dungeon crawling, grinding and combat? What other reason is there to play? That's like fags who complain about too much text in Planescape Torment.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Too much time spent in the same place fighting the same monsters to clear the same dungeon gets boring after a while. It's not like the game has a lot of in-depth strategic combat with lots of interesting encounters, you're just flinging arrows/spells at monsters and occasionally whacking them when they get into melee range. Plus, I prefer a 50/50 split of combat and exploration and the many extended combat encounters skew it too much towards the combat.

A user named cat

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Oof. Feels good to beat this thing after owning it for close to 2 decades.

BGyTwNG.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom