Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Playing Might and Magic VI for the first time

A user named cat

I'm really not feeling the area layouts in MM7. Everything is starting to feel disjointed and random, especially the towns, where MM6 maps were much more concise and unique.

A user named cat

Had to throw in the towel. Just could not get into this one at all. Harmondale was pretty much the nail in the coffin. What a tiresome map.

How did MM7 end up being so unpolished? Half the time, damage sound effects don't play and I'll suddenly notice that a character is randomly unconscious. Party progress was also far too slow this time, with enemies giving little XP. For who knows what reason, you no longer see when a melee hit is registered on the enemy. So there's little to no satisfaction to combat now. All spell effects were changed into poofs of smoke and lasers, fire and ice no longer look anything like fire and ice. WHY? Avatars now feel lifeless with the change to CG. They really screwed this one up, I can only imagine that VIII is even worse and IX looks awful.

Good news is I just remembered I never finished Wiz 8 years ago for whatever reason. You know how it goes. Installing now.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
MM7 Is the favorite of the codex. What is your problem man?

:M

EDIT: It is ACTUALLY VI

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
M&M7 favored by codex? At the same time I'm surprised it's a thing (after reading mentioned thread and others). And not so, because most/all of codex favorite titles are overrated garbage (excluding few ancient titles).
I might saw more praise for M&M8 than previous one...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, we like VI NOT VII. Was confusing my II's.

Still sad Xeen (IV + V) isn't rated higher. It is such a great game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I know about Xeen, finished it last summer. This time I'm playing The Chaos Conspiracy. Still not gut enough to venture into caves...

A user named cat

VII really felt rushed. I still don't understand how they took the same engine and somehow managed to make it buggier. I mean you can't even bind caps lock or any of the function keys for some reason anymore. All the areas I explored felt like a designer got drunk one night at the editor and just plopped down areas of interest at random. There was just nothing compelling or unique about the whole experience and no reason to go forward other than grinding. With VI, you actually felt progress as you leveled, combat had more impact for both melee and magic, and you always felt a sense of accomplishment by completeing the massive and well-designed dungeons. So whatever, I'll gladly take Wiz 8 as a substitute.

duchU

Educated
VII really felt rushed. I still don't understand how they took the same engine and somehow managed to make it buggier. I mean you can't even bind caps lock or any of the function keys for some reason anymore. All the areas I explored felt like a designer got drunk one night at the editor and just plopped down areas of interest at random. There was just nothing compelling or unique about the whole experience and no reason to go forward other than grinding. With VI, you actually felt progress as you leveled, combat had more impact for both melee and magic, and you always felt a sense of accomplishment by completeing the massive and well-designed dungeons. So whatever, I'll gladly take Wiz 8 as a substitute.

Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven - Release date: April 30, 1998 (Development of Might and Magic VI began in 1996) -> better world and story
Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor - Release date: January 2, 1999 -> added improvements but story is not very interesting (maybe because it's more like story 1 + story 2 + story 3 + story 4 when in case of MM6 everything is like one long scenario) and there is not much diversity between the world areas, also it's seems kinda repetitive after MM6

Not sure about binding keys but I think it comes with unofficial patches and have never been a part of vanilla game. So you should't blame the MM7 for this at least since it's an improvement over MM6 :D

A user named cat

I saw absolutely no improvements to the engine and as pointed out, quite a few new issues and problems. Not to mention the awful new GUI especially the spell menus. The only positive I saw was a menu to change key binds but you can't bind function keys. This wasn't from an unofficial patch so I don't know why you're excusing them.

http://telp.org/files/mm7/MM7 readme.txt

The 3DO Company and New World Computing
Might and Magic(TM) VII, For Blood and Honor(TM)
Update v. 1.1 ReadMe
August 1999

Keyboard Remapping:

When remapping the Might and Magic VII commands, you will not be able
to use the numeric keys, escape key, function keys, print screen, scroll
lock, pause/break, shift, alt, or caps lock. The only remappable keys
available on the numeric keypad are the ADD (+), SUBTRACT (-), and
ENTER keys.

duchU

Educated
I meant that MM6 doesn't have key binding option at all. There is at least one engine improvement (except hardware 3d mode) - you can walk in turn based mode :P

- I do not have any sound problems
- you can still see (and hear) if enemy is hit
- "character is randomly unconscious" - some enemies have special attacks which can do this

"Not to mention the awful new GUI especially the spell menus" - well they fucked it up. It's even more awful after choosing the side. They probably thought it would be a good idea to add some graphical shit and it did not end well. MM6 GUI is much better cos it's simpler and clearer without this MM7 unnecessary graphical overdose. Not to mention that for some reason they placed spells on the book pages randomly when in MM6 they are sorted by spell power (spell cost) and have their names visable.

Zeriel

Arcane
I meant that MM6 doesn't have key binding option at all. There is at least one engine improvement (except hardware 3d mode) - you can walk in turn based mode :P

- I do not have any sound problems
- you can still see (and hear) if enemy is hit
- "character is randomly unconscious" - some enemies have special attacks which can do this

"Not to mention the awful new GUI especially the spell menus" - well they fucked it up. It's even more awful after choosing the side. They probably thought it would be a good idea to add some graphical shit and it did not end well. MM6 GUI is much better cos it's simpler and clearer without this MM7 unnecessary graphical overdose. Not to mention that for some reason they placed spells on the book pages randomly when in MM6 they are sorted by spell power (spell cost) and have their names visable.

Yeah, the "can walk in turn-based mode" is why I always prefer 7 to 6. 6 is virtually unplayable for me, since you have to play it as some weird shooter hybrid.

Sizzle

Arcane
M&M VI's maps and dungeons, combined with VII's character systems would have made a near perfect blobber.

Zeriel

Arcane
M&M VI's maps and dungeons, combined with VII's character systems would have made a near perfect blobber.

I want 6's world and dungeons, 7's character systems, and Xeen or X's grid-based format. Crazy pipedream, I know, but a man has to have platonic ideals to aspire to.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I want 6's world and dungeons, 7's character systems, 2's combat and loot system, and 1's encounter design.
EDIT: And the hireling system from 2.

Last edited:
My favorite ones are Xeen and VI, but they're so different that I don't know how one could graft VI's dungeons on Xeen's system.
MMX is also underrated for me. Not as good as Xeen of course, but great nevertheless.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
That Chaos Conspiracy thing... I walked through three maps, both are infested with pirates and thugs outside and in some dungeons too.
When I created character there was option to pick Bow, but when you start new game everyone get it for free. Intentional? I guess so until...
I did some Experts certs for my mages and somehow everyone in my team are experts in the Identification. the hell
Looks like mod is still bugged and team Maestro (lel) is too busy with Migh&Magic 8.5 - Echo of Destruction (not much progress) to fix the remaining issues.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
When I created character there was option to pick Bow, but when you start new game everyone get it for free. Intentional? I guess so until...
I did some Experts certs for my mages and somehow everyone in my team are experts in the Identification. the hell
Looks like mod is still bugged and team Maestro (lel) is too busy with Migh&Magic 8.5 - Echo of Destruction (not much progress) to fix the remaining issues.
I think the "everyone gets bow" at start is intentional and the expert ID comes from some talking to a guy, or clicking on a fountain or something. It puzzled me too the first time since it's either easy to miss or not told at all. It's not buggy as far as I remember but I never finished it even after three different starts. Dungeons that keep on imposing a bad status (like "insane") on your party by cursing you every twenty seconds are a major turn off for me.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
I'm feeling like giving it a try too. I know that most OP teams are something like SSCD, but what's the fun team? Fit for clearing dungeons without constant Sorpigaling etc?
The fun team for me is the default: Knight, Archer, Cleric, Sorcerer

Knight for obvious reasons. Archer for traps, perception, and all the bow fighting you do. Cleric for obvious reasons as well as some points in Merchant. Sorcerer for obvious reasons.

I usually get everyone Bow skill ASAP as it makes a huge difference in the earlier game. Also, the group above can use just about anything you find - 1 plate wearer, 2 chain, and 1 leather.

The group above is not OP, but not boring.
The default party is okay. I took it during my first playthrough. I was still a bit disappointed that the non-magic (or low magic) classes become a bit of a dead weight in the later stages of the game.

My second playthrough then was with an all cheesed out party of two druids and two sorcerers. The cheese included becoming Master of Dark Magic and Master of Light Magic within a few minutes time. Good times.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The default party is okay. I took it during my first playthrough. I was still a bit disappointed that the non-magic (or low magic) classes become a bit of a dead weight in the later stages of the game.
Eh, I liked having a balance and being able to use everything I find. Also, without a high perception skill I'd probably lose my mind in that game. I'm assuming you'd need a walkthrough in hand to find all the hidden buttons, switches, doors, and whatnot.

Turjan

Arcane
Eh, I liked having a balance and being able to use everything I find. Also, without a high perception skill I'd probably lose my mind in that game. I'm assuming you'd need a walkthrough in hand to find all the hidden buttons, switches, doors, and whatnot.
Sure. As I said, I used the default party the first time, so everything was covered. The second time, it was just a fun romp about what the game lets you do. As I played these back-to-back, I remembered where most stuff was (or looked into my notes).

gunman

Arcane
Developer
VII really felt rushed.

Now try IX :lol:

MM IX is not that bad with the existing patches. IMO the dungeons and cities are better than in VII and VIII, it's the outdoors areas that are underwhelming and the textures and models are pretty ugly. Also the skill trainers are so inappropriate that seems to be randomly generated, like a granny in the street teaching axe grandmaster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom