Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is the first game to hit 2,000,000 players on Steam at once

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
3 million now

for such a bad game

I have no idea how

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://www.invenglobal.com/article...l-media-franchise-ch-kim-the-ceo-of-pubg-corp

CH Kim: I had a chat with Japanese reporters, and they said that it’s such an incredible feat considering the title is PC based. However, as you know, the console market in Japan is 10 times bigger, and most of them are PlayStation gamers. I’m not certain if it’s because PUBG is being released exclusively on Xbox One, but I was told that the PC and Xbox One markets in Japan are growing significantly. They are also running out of Xbox One Xs, I heard.

PUBG is literally so succesful that it is selling Xboxes in Japan. In. Japan.

The best analogy for PUBG as an esport I've ever heard is that it's the same as F1 and Golf. Are they entertaining at all to watch? Fuck no. Do they have tons of competitors that the camera can never focus on one of a time, yeah. Do people still watch them anyway and listen to some old guy drone on, absolutely.

People are crazy, but fans invested in the video game will ultimately watch an esport of *anything*. Civilization esports are around the corner I bet.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do we have a resident Chinese poster here who can explain why this hot garbage is so popular over there?

Ash

Arcane
down-decline-graph.jpg

Shitty flavour of the month shooter like DayZ or that dinosaur one. It will be replaced by something else soon when the autists get bored or the devs have bought enough islands and stop development.
Turok?

Old school 90s Turok is basically Quake with dinosaurs and 1.5x the difficulty. I highly recommend the Turok 1 & 2 PC remasters. Console shooters didn't always used to be bad.

Last edited:
Do we have a resident Chinese poster here who can explain why this hot garbage is so popular over there?
The true point of the game however, is selling 200$~500$ priced digital miniskirts and schoolgirl outfits, so that makes your purchase 100% more worth it.
Generally anything goes when it comes to China, but PUBG was potentially the first ever game in which chinese players could play on steam instead of a third party service or a localized service such as chinese owned WePlay or whatever the fuck it's called.

Most of the numbers are circling around sales, as PUBG is a hot mess when it comes to cheat protection (meaning even the most sloppy copy and paste will get trough battleeye) and thanks to the number bandwagon, the cosmetics hold great value, meaning at the current moment it is the most profitable RMT market you could jump onto.

ArchAngel

Arcane
PUBG I found a bit unfun due to 3rd person camera and bit too much rushing to next circle.

Now Escape from Tarkov is THE SHIT. Made by russians, inspired by more realistic game like ARMA. Focuses on realism as much as it can get away with.
Your raids are not about rushing to that next circle but getting out alive and with lots of loot. And best loot is on the other players you kill.

Ash

Arcane
By the way, this early access thingie is now also the second-best selling PC game of all time, second to minecraft. Looks set to overtake it in the near future.

Deflowerer

Arcane
PUBG I found a bit unfun due to 3rd person camera and bit too much rushing to next circle.

Now Escape from Tarkov is THE SHIT. Made by russians, inspired by more realistic game like ARMA. Focuses on realism as much as it can get away with.
Your raids are not about rushing to that next circle but getting out alive and with lots of loot. And best loot is on the other players you kill.

Yeah, I'm waiting for its release with bated breath.

Ash

Arcane
Ash (a couple months ago) said:
Top games by current player count

2,291,190 PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
638,204 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
751,216 Dota 2
117,795 Warframe
71,947 Team Fortress 2
67,707 Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™
58,452 ARK: Survival Evolved
60,394 Rocket League
66,015 Grand Theft Auto V
49,643 Garry's Mod

Also all that recent game journo scare of "Singleplayer is dying" is true. You only need to look at that list. The only singleplayer game there is Shadow of War (which is shit popamole). The rest is multiplayer games or games with multiplayer modes that everyone is playing in (GTAV). Publishers notice trends and act on them. Singleplayer will never die outright, but it will always be second to multiplayer from here on out I'd wager (well, it sort of already has been this past decade in general, but now it's pretty much set in stone).

Deflowerer

Arcane
The problem is that there generally can only be one or two multiplayer games per genre that can command such attention.

Not to mention that with SP games you can feed off of legacy sales for the rest of eternity, while with MP games either you get a sizeable pop playing it right away or you're fucked.

Ash

Arcane
The problem is that there generally can only be one or two multiplayer games per genre that can command such attention.

That applies to singleplayer, and indie too. There's only ever one or two in the mass jackpot-hitting public spotlight at any one given time. But yes, there is perhaps other risk factors involved with devving an MP game, maybe this "pop, else you're fucked" you speak of. Something is keeping a steady flow of singleplayer games coming (for now) despite multiplayer seeing the most success, anyway.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Jason Liang claims to be but I don't know how to mention people by name on this site so someone else will have to do it. If I had to guess the company who holds publishing rights in China, Tencent, really marketed it to high heavens.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I haven't seen anyone playing PUBG. I usually check out what people are playing on their phones or iPads when I'm on the bus or when I see students playing stuff in class.

The stuff I've seen:
LoL (of course)
Candy Crush
Heartstone
A Chinese online CCG
GTA V
GTA San Andreas
Some sort of kart racing game (popular with my students, often you have four students linked together racing each other)
A game where you shoot fish
Plants vs. Zombies (my girlfriend plays this)
Mahjong games
A Chinese trick taking poker card game (kind of like Hearts)
World of Warcraft

Now, it might be the case that kids are playing PUBG in internet cafes. But internet cafes have also been dying the past 3-4 years.

The situation in arcades is even more peculiar. Mostly racing games, dance dance revolution and gun cabinet games. The only fighters that are popular are KoF98 and Tekken.

XBox and other consoles are not popular in China. 95%+ of the market is PC gaming or mobile gaming. You never see people playing the newest hot games like Dark Souls, Witcher 3, Bioshock, Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata etc... I've never seen anyone playing Assassin's Creed, but I'm sure there *is* a Chinese audience for it and the movie did reasonably well. Total War games are popular. Sports games (FIFA, NBA Live) are popular. I also had a student who was die-hard into Hearts of Iron 3, although he didn't play EU III. He did start playing Stellaris though.

But Chinese gamers have very strange tastes. I once showed some friends Sid Meier's Pirates and they couldn't really figure it out.

Crazy numbers don't have to mean China. China didn't have an Angry Birds craze nor a Minecraft craze. That said, most Chinese gamers aren't using steam either. Or PUBG might be popular in Hong Kong or Taiwan, that's also possible (although unlikely, Taiwan kids are into heroin and ecstasy, not pc games).

Also in China people don't get their mobile games from iTunes store. Instead they have their own service, like blue-something.

UPDATE: Ok I see that it was just released last month, then idk, haven't noticed it. If they say the players are coming from China, it's internet cafes, although I still don't understand why it's on Steam. FPS games are popular in China, especially if they're a little silly and not very competitive. Only LOL is played competitively. Everything else is played for lolz.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Stagnation of PUBG on Steam and the rising of Epic's Fortnite Battle Royale:

Funny that how Epic was very late to the MOBA party, but is very agile (and lucky) with this battle royale craze.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Brings to mind the old Microsoft motto - "Embrace, extend, and extinguish".

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't think you can force someone out of business that already earned a fuck ton of money like PUBG did. Those devs can just invest that into some other game even if somehow every stops playing PUBG.. and they will not because Fortnite is not a same game. It looks and plays differently.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think you can force someone out of business that already earned a fuck ton of money like PUBG did. Those devs can just invest that into some other game even if somehow every stops playing PUBG.. and they will not because Fortnite is not a same game. It looks and plays differently.

Yeah, but atm it really looks like the market is going to fork into "PUBG dominates China Korea Japan because Tencent owns 40% of PUBG Corp" while Fortnite has a big presence in the West. PUBG is really falling behind because of bugs/cheaters/no PS4 at the moment. Fortnite is absolutely going to be a more succesful Dota 2 relative to League of Legends.

(although unlikely, Taiwan kids are into heroin and ecstasy, not pc games).

Wtf. Communist propaganda or actually real?

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
dollars.png
dollars.png
dollars.png
https://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-is-the...-game-ever-on-steam-according-to-gabe-newell/

PUBG is the third highest earning game ever on Steam, according to Gabe Newell
Newell connects Valve's investment in technology to PUBG's success.

At a roundtable interview at Valve's studio in Bellevue, Washington today, Valve founder Gabe Newell noted that the company created a "hole" by not shipping any new games after Dota 2 (and says they're going to start doing that again), but also took a little credit for a game Valve didn't make.

Valve's hardware and technology research has been an "investment in the future," said Newell, one which he connects to the incredible success of PUBG. "[That investment] does help do good things for the gaming industry. So you can have a relatively new game like PUBG, and because they can capitalize on all the other multiplayer games, the technology, the fact that China is now a huge market for anybody who does PC game development—So PUBG can come out of pretty much nowhere and become the third largest selling game in Steam's history. Their gross revenue over all time is already number three in fairly short order."

That's the first we're hearing of PUBG's lifetime Steam revenue compared to other games on the platform, though we'd obviously assumed it was up there. Newell didn't say which games were in the number one and two spots, though Valve's own Dota 2, Team Fortress 2, and CS:GO are certainly high on the list. Naturally, PUBG was included at the top of Valve's year-end list of the highest-earning Steam games of 2017.

Newell didn't specify more about how Valve's non-game development efforts helped PUBG come along and earn its top three spot, though as it released on Steam and is the most-played game on the platform by far, Valve's huge userbase and Steamworks API were obviously factors. We can only speculate as to how PUBG might of fared in a world without CS:GO and without Steam.

And Newell wasn't just patting Valve on the back, noting that the company's focus on technology and hardware (such as the Steam Controller and SteamVR sensors) and "investment in being worried about where the gaming industry is going" has meant that it hasn't been shipping games. That is set to change, with multiple new Valve games planned.

Of those new games, the only one we have details on is the recently-announced Dota 2 card game Artifact. Incidentally, that was the reason for our visit to Valve HQ this week, and we'll have more on it from Tim soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom