Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is the first game to hit 2,000,000 players on Steam at once

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by veealune, Oct 11, 2017.

1. HanoverFgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    Parrots:
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Well past time to pull the plug on this simulation I think.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Great Deceivergender: ⚧ Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Parrots:
    It's a game that's tailor made for attention-addled millenials who can't take personal responsibility for anything, including sucking at videogames - therefore it's mostly dumb luck that determines the outcome of a match.

It's also perfectly conducive to alt-tabbing half the time (i.e. these streaming mongoloids), requiring only a minimum investment of engagement of brain activity to function - if you die, no big deal.

In truth, people can't stand the notion that they suck in videogames and that losing is their fault, so they often make a bunch of bullshit excuses for losing. In PUBG, the excuse comes prepackaged for you and you're never expected to win, so any outcome is positive. More often than not, people get to walk around in maps like mongoloids for 15 minutes with absolutely nothing happening other than the occasional loot popup (and like the little pavlovian rodents that they are, they lap it up). Then they get shot in the head from across the map by an unseen sniper, shrug it off and just press that little lever to go again. If they do manage to get a kill, it's all payoff for basically no investment.

It's also conducive to shooting the shit with your mates in voice chat - a mild, inoffensive background task that produces fodder for meaningless banter. Cool kids call this 'emergent gameplay' :mixedemotions:

Compare it to any 'competitive' game where you get mercilessly crushed for hundreds or even thousands of hours before you can aspire to do anything decent and almost nothing happens by luck, it's very easy to see the appeal.

Anyway, I don't think this style of game has any substantial legs outside its exploitative nature. In the end, even lemmings will get tired of playing slots and it will die out once it's milked dry by every big publisher out there looking for the 'next big thing'.

• Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Edgy x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rado907gender: ⚧ Learned

rado907
    Parrots:
    Lol, ye edgelords.
    To answer the recurring question "why is this so popular" from the perspective of someone who actually played the game after three years of great amounts of DotA and little online multiplayer before that:
    - Instant queue times. You press "PLAY", wait a minute on loading island for the game to fill up, and off you go.
    - No griefing/ruining from random freaks.
    - Can quit instantly if you get an important phone call. Games last up to about 30 mins. So you can queue at any time - which is not the case with DotA.
    - Can start new once you die. (Unlike in CS.)
    - Solid mechanics emulating ARMA which I never played much but which has a great reputation.
    - Solid gameplay honed by years of iterating on a popular mod.
    - Awesome tension in the last few minutes of the game.
    - Low pressure - only one out of the hundred people in the game will win. So losing is OK.
    - Different ways to play the game - some like to go full Rambo; others like to avoid ever shooting a gun.
    - Big, interesting map with many cool places to explore.
    - Intense encounters - if you meet another player only once every few mins, then those encounters really matter.
    - A gameplay that rewards decision-making as well as reaction times. Half the game is about knowing when and how to move; not about instagibbing people who show up on your screen.
    - Easy-to-learn but hard-to-master. One gets the idea after two games. But you know those streams with them snipers who nail people from a thousand meters away? Getting there takes a lot of skill and game knowledge.
    - A sense of excitement about being in on the current big thing. Kind of like playing Diablo back when Battle.net was new.
    - Fun at any level of skill, there is some kind of ELO in the background, I'm not good but I feel competitive in my games.
    - My brother with whom I play games was away when I tried the game; but looks like teamplay is also fun.

The "mixed" reviews are due to people whining about streamers getting protection from the devs. Which is shitty behavior on the part of the devs but hardly a detriment of the game itself.
    So yeah, to reiterate, the game is successful because it is fun because it is good. Is it orgasmic? Maybe not. Is it great? Maybe not. Is it GotY? Maybe not. Was it worth $30? Yep.

• Informative x 5
    • retadred x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • decline x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Thanks! x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. sexbad?gender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

sexbad?
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    I like the sound of the game a lot, really. I'd like to go around scavenging and hunting for other players in a big open landscape.
    It's too bad that there are some really fundamental issues with it, apparently. Most people will play in third person unless a server is restricted to first person perspective apparently. Also, it's possible to toggle ridiculous scaling of vegetation, so you can just see people off in the distance through stuff that they think they're hiding in. That's what's kept me from buying this at all. I don't really know anything about the streaming community in the game. I don't really know how that could detract from the experience, but I guess somehow it does?
    It's a shame, really, because I think I would cave in and have a good time if they fixed some really basic stuff, but I guess the developers don't seem to care about a glaring flaw like "objects disappear when they're far enough away but the players hiding in them don't."

^ Top  
  5. Leechmongergender: ⚧ Learned

Leechmonger
    Parrots:
    I've heard the hit reg can be complete garbage.

^ Top  
  6. anvigender: ⚧ Scholar

anvi
    Parrots:
    I want to get it but I can't because I am guilt riddled about not playing Arma3 enough. I had so much fun with Arma2 but the game mode I like just hasn't turned out well in A3.

^ Top  
  7. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    aaaaand the whole opinion is disregarded

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Spellcastergender: ⚧ Ask me about Thief Patron

Spellcaster
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    I sorta like the concept of this game. The fact you're inside a perimeter that gets smaller and smaller and the tension that comes with it is great, by the end of the match it's you and 1~3 other people in a super small area and it can be very tense. That being said, I didn't like the execution at all and couldn't be assed to buy it. Just like Path of Exile is for me, it's a game that doesn't appeal through videos so I don't even bother trying it out, except here it also comes with the fact this is just the flavor of the [period] and I don't fall for these anymore.

Remember when everyone and their mom bought Arma 2 to play DayZ and it fade away faster than you could say fuck?

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again AN4RCHIDgender: ⚧ Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Parrots:
    First Person mode is popular, it's all me and my friends play. I don't know what the breakdown of 3rd vs 1st person is, but there are enough players that you'll never have to wait for a match anyway. The vegetation scaling isn't that bad, but generally soft cover is not that great in this game anyway. Give it a shot if you have any friends to squad up with, it's not perfect but it's pretty fun.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ashgender: ⚧ Magister

Ash
    Parrots:
    Seems like a fun-ish game deserving of a playerbase, but surely the huge player base is a result of good marketing, it appealing to streamer types (and thus tons of extra free marketing), alongside the inherent popularity of multiplayer games these days. Is it the greatest game of all time deserving of obscene amounts of success as mere statistics would indicate? Very likely not.
    At least it's a fucking game though, not the latest crappy movie "game" stealing all the sales as is the norm. The whole concept seems very bog-standard though, just with the catch of a gradually shrinking arena.

On average the standards among the PC user base are almost as bad as console. There's a small handful of old school gamers that played a shitload of games back in the day and know the game industry has gone to shit, and then there's everyone else. Not to say PUBG is shit, it seems like it deserves a niche, but I can speak for many of the other games in this list:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Harpsichordgender: ⚧ Arcane

Harpsichord
    Parrots:
    :happytrollboy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Raghargender: ⚧ Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Real world warfare.

^ Top  
  13. Jazz_gender: ⚧ Erudite

Jazz_
    Parrots:
    is this gayme fun?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. HeyCheckOutHowHardICanPeegender: ⚧ Novice

HeyCheckOutHowHardICanPee
    Parrots:
    I'm a tad bit surprised people are confused on what happens when you let the Asians play on the steam version:

[​IMG]

In legit overview of dozens of discussions of the game, I have never heard anyone actually bring up why the game is good, but rather a constant splurge of "muh population", so I decided to be a smart hip hop rooty tooty point and shooty man and make my own opinions by wasting money and "buying" the game trough the many fallacies of steam.

Chinese farmers selling the crates for real money, Chinese children and manchildren alike who run around with 3000 ping and abuse the 10 tickrate by shooting you from 3 seconds ago when they were behind walls while screaming "CHINA NUMBAH WHON", client sided hitreg, optimization so bad I wouldn't even believe you could get from Unreal Engine and many more "features" I haven't seen from a single popamole in eons.
    Best enjoyed by hiding from everyone until one last guy is alive, flipping a lagswitch, running up to him and punching him in the head two/three times. A 1 kill 30 minute FFA match.

The true point of the game however, is selling 200$~500$ priced digital miniskirts and schoolgirl outfits, so that makes your purchase 100% more worth it.

oh yeah and this shit is going to go full esports in less than 2 months :negative:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Suicidalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Suicidal
    Parrots:
    Only thing good about PUBG is its in-game voice/sound broadcasting system

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. you know what time it isgender: ⚧ Arcane

you know what time it is
    Parrots:
    Esports lul, but then again, nu-blizzard managed to make scene out of an RNG simulator like Hearthstone, so what do I know.

Design wise game is fairly solid though, I was waiting for something like that for years. Perfect game to play with a bunch of friends.

Servers are shit though and so is performance (unless you got a top PC, don't even bother with that shit).

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)