Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr positions himself near the dock watching for a chance to cut Sreng's boat loose if the others kick enough of a distraction.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric lowers the rope, hoping Moggle will sight it. He anchors himself on the roof beams as best he can to pull him out.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Can I try and signal Moggle in cat to grab the rope?
In "cat?" What, like yowling and meowing at him? Erm . . . sure. Does Marcán speak "Mewl?" I suppose you can always try to "fake it til you make it."

Make an INTx1 Idea roll to see if you say something intelligible. Also, he's fairly preoccupied, and there's a lot of noise in the tavern coming from Sreng as he bellows in laughter. It might take some special measures to make sure he can hear your attempt at cat-speak.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In "cat?" What, like yowling and meowing at him? Erm . . . sure. Does Marcán speak "Mewl?" I suppose you can always try to "fake it til you make it."

Make an INTx1 Idea roll to see if you say something intelligible. Also, he's fairly preoccupied, and there's a lot of noise in the tavern coming from Sreng as he bellows in laughter. It might take some special measures to make sure he can hear your attempt at cat-speak.
Er, rather, can I cast understanding to speak cat to tell him to grab the rope.

nikolokolus

Arcane

Er, rather, can I cast understanding to speak cat to tell him to grab the rope.
Ah of course, go ahead and make a casting roll.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The Plan Goes Off . . . sorta

Borric begins lowering the rope slowly, while Marcán finishes his spell and loud-whispers in Moggle's strange cat-like language "Look up." But either Moggle is too distracted by being thrown around like a volleyball, or he's too far away from Marcán to hear him and doesn't notice or grab for the rope as it reaches the apex of his flight-path.

Borric's rope hangs limply down about 15' over the firepit and holds steady. Sreng catches Moggle and immediately sees the tail of the rope dangling in mid-air. He holds Moggle in one hand and reaches over to the rope and pulls down on it with a quizzical expression on his face and instinctively looks up to is origin in the skylight. (ERYFKRAD you have to make a STR vs. STR roll on the resistance table to keep the rope from being pulled through your hands. You have about 20' of length coiled behind you, so if you lose your grip when he pulls you don't necessarily have to hold on for dear life or even resist if you don't want to). Sreng points up and grunts at his henchmen, and shakes Moggle violently, "Youze fink Sreng stoo-peed? Little cat-man use magicks to make rope appear. Youze not get away so fast." To emphasize his point he jabs a meaty finger in Moggle's chest, that knocks the wind out of his lungs.

For now Amon and Urash are able to hold their spells in abeyance.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Adding to the confusion, A globe of roiling darkness erupts in the middle of the tavern. Predicatably, all hell breaks loose. You can hear loud crashing noises flood the common area and folk begin to scatter, some fumbling toward the door, a couple accidentally run through the fire pit, others are knocked over and start crawling on hands and knees now that they can see. Sreng bellows a curse and roars. You can just see his feet run through the center of the room, kicking up a storm of coals and embers that land in the rushes that cover the floor. Quickly a dense, oily smoke starts to fill the tavern. Sreng beelines for the tavern door to get away from the ball of darkness (which Amon can move at 8 MOV per round if he stays still and concentrates on moving it, without concentration, it persists, but stays still).

From Borric's perspective the 15' diameter ball of darkness surrounding Sreng and Moggle starts to move toward the door, in his wake clouds of smoke start to rise from now burning rushes on the floor and a general pandemonium erupts in his wake as people recoil from the flames. Sreng still has a hold of your rope and is running out of the tavern with it in hand (ERYFKRAD roll STR vs. STR to keep a hold of it, which versus Sreng's 26 Strength works out to a 10% chance of success . . . but if you do succeed, you can tick your Strength characteristic for possible improvement)

L'ennui Urash's Agony spell goes off against whomever he wishes to target.

Everyone else can act as they wish for now (Assume at least 2 free rounds, until/unless Sreng or one of his minions can get a fix on you). It doesn't appear that anybody inside the tavern is aware of who is causing all of the commotion and hasn't settled their ire on any of you (yet).

Being a spectator outside, I'll just stand there and move it around with him as I watch through the window. Hopefully he has trouble finding the door in the pitch black. Maybe he is also on fire? We could only hope.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Any reaction from people outside the tavern yet?
Rhenmyr can see smoke billow out of the double doors that lead into the tavern a couple of people stagger out just ahead of a roiling cloud of blackness with a pair of large feet. That cloud of blackness tries to pass through the door clumsily and there is a loud *crack* several leaded glass panes in the small portal windows shatter as a shockwave reverberates through the building and along the dock from the massive collision. (Sreng forgot to duck) You hear a loud below of rage, "Owwww!"
If I stab Sreng as he is trying to leave, can that help in Borric's strength check?
Marcán can duck down below the rolling ball of blackness and try to hack him off at the legs without penalty. If you try to attack his arms (like a disarm attempt) or anything inside the ball of inky darkness, your attacks rolls are limited to CONx1. However, just stabbing him in the leg might or might not be enough to get him to let go of the rope as he's forced to react to another annoyance. Who knows?

nikolokolus

Arcane

nikolokolus

Arcane

Sreng's Armor roll vs Marcán's falcata chop at his legs (8): armor roll [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6
Marcán leans sidewise and hacks at Sreng's ankles right when he crunches into the door frame and. The cut is true and Sreng howls in rage and clutches his bleeding calf with his one free hand.

He growls, "Who there? Sreng can smell you -- sour milk, old ale, and wool. Aargh! Hoomin! Sreng will smash your skull and pick his tooths with your ribs!"

We are officially in combat now:
(FYI: Spells start first, then physical actions, by INT and DEX rank)
INT Ranks
Urash 21
Amon 19
Marcán 15
Solon 14
Mab 11

DEX Ranks
Rhenmyr 18
Amon 16
Borric 14
Mab 11
Marcán 9
Urash 9
Solon 9
Sreng and Co. 6

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom