Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

"Well, that didn't go as planned. Moggle, my good assistant, did you happen the grab the right rock? I hope this is not the special rock we found in that cave? I must check to make sure it is not before we proceed! Give me a second my good people while I divine wether this rock is a normal rock, free from enchantment. Or is it a rock, steeped in magic from the heart of the abyss!"

Amon places the rock down on the barrel in front of him and begins to cast midnight.
[1d100] Midnight = 74 vs 74 = success, barely!

Once midnight kicks off engulfing the group in darkness, Amon screams out.

"By the gods! Run, run for your lives! The dark magic has been released from the stone! Oh the horror! Run and don't look back, save yourselves"
[1d100] Fast Talk = 6 vs 46= Special success!

Amon runs away towards the nearest alley so he can drop his disguise, and then flee towards the tavern.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The onlookers who had gathered around Amon seem confused, but seem to recognize real sorcery when they see it and take several steps back when he begins uttering the weird, empowered syllables of his spell. 10 or 12 seconds after beginning his casting, a ball of darkness envelops everyone in the immediate vicinity, and then all hell breaks loose as people begin shouting and cursing, and most definitely scattering like ants.

Three onlookers stumble out in the direction of the boat and do not seem to notice the theft of the oars, preoccupied as they are.

Those who stumble out of the ball of darkness start patting down their vests, and clutching their coin purses and other belongings and seem somewhat confused when they discover they haven't been pilfered. A couple of green-skinned folk can be overheard chattering to one another confused, "What in the name o' bleedin' Arawn's hounds was that all aboot?" The other shrugs, "Dunno, I thought fer sure that little grimalkin and the big bloke were ginnae try'n cheat us, or sneak aroon the crowd and cut some purses. An' what was all that wiff the Ball of Blackest Night?" The first goblin shakes his head, "Dunno. That musta been the worstest robbery and scammery I e'er seent. It was so bad, now I do feel kinda cheated. Thought fer sure one o' them blokes was gintae get 'is 'ead choppered off when we catched 'em trying to make off wiff our jink." The two goblins cackle and laugh and skirt the roiling cloud of blackness and the rest of the crowd starts to disperse.

In all of the commotion, you manage to snag two oars without being caught, but were unable to unhitch the boat's lanyard from its cleat.

Longshoremen get back to work and Amon skulks out of an alley a couple of minutes later looking like himself. Moggle is nowhere to be seen.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
OK, tell me who is going on the ferry and who is staying behind (or taking Moggle's boat as the case may be) and what you intend to do, how do you intend to communicate, etc.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Urash can send friend bird to us to signal for assistance or deliver a note mayhaps. Otherwise you'll need to make a huge racket. We should set up signal words. 'Stygia' could mean 'We're all lost save yourself and run.' Ker would, of course, mean burn everything. Any other ideas?"

I believe Amon, Rhenmyr and Moggle if he turns up are for Moggle's boat and everyone else was for the ferry. I don't think a decision was made for NPC Mab though.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Urash can send friend bird to us to signal for assistance or deliver a note mayhaps. Otherwise you'll need to make a huge racket. We should set up signal words. 'Stygia' could mean 'We're all lost save yourself and run.' Ker would, of course, mean burn everything. Any other ideas?"

I believe Amon, Rhenmyr and Moggle if he turns up are for Moggle's boat and everyone else was for the ferry. I don't think a decision was made for NPC Mab though.
Mab will go wherever somebody thinks he should go. He's fairly glib, and not unattractive, but also stealthy and he has several spells that might be of use. Solon seems willing to use the ferry, for ummm . . . 'research' purposes.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Well, that was incredibly silly. Although after that performance I'm starting to think some of us might be better suited for a theater troupe. I suppose it's time to put on my own sort of play. If you hear loud banging, see a flame, hear me shout 'A KELTIC DOG'S BUMHOLE' then you know when to come rushing in."

Marcán will use the ferry.

nikolokolus

Arcane
It's been about fifteen minutes and still no sign of Moggle.

The seven-feet tall, buxom, and completely naked maidens seem to almost preternaturally sense that passengers are gathering. The barge disembarks from Shantywood Isle and begins its slow, ponderous crossing of the Hameth.

Does anybody go looking for Moggle, or want to do anything else before the barge arrives? FYI, it is approximately midday (as it is reckoned here).

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr finds a small scrap of red cloth fixed to a nail-head on a barrel, that looks like it could have been torn from Moggle's short cape, it's right outside the tavern where Sreng and his bunch. You peek inside through one of the grimy windows of the tavern and see mighty Sreng holding Moggle by his foot and tossing him high in the air and catching him over and over. There seems to be a great deal of laughter coming from inside.

Rhenmyr finds a small scrap of red cloth fixed to a nail-head on a barrel, that looks like it could have been torn from Moggle's short cape, it's right outside the tavern where Sreng and his bunch. You peek inside through one of the grimy windows of the tavern and see mighty Sreng holding Moggle by his foot and tossing him high in the air and catching him over and over. There seems to be a great deal of laughter coming from inside.

"This looks like a bit of a problem. I wouldn't feel right leaving him to that idiot Sreng."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As the giant keeps tossing Moggle, Borric searches for a way to scale the tavern roof and toss him a rope for an easy escape.

"I could incapacitate Sreng or turn out the lights on all of them to give Moggle a chance to escape. I do wonder how Sreng got Moggle in the first place, unless Moggle ran away after the shell game failed to entertain?"

Siveon

Bot
"Yes, we should help the little guy. I'll stake the entrance. I can signal Moggle to grab the rope and you could cast darkness right after to cover our escape."

Marcán hovers close to the entrance, trying to appear inconspicuous.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Setting the scene: the double-doors to the tavern are firmly shut for now; intermittently it swings open from time to time as someone exits or enters and uproarious gales of laughter can be heard coming from within. Marcán catches several glimpses of a bruised and bloodied Moggle being tossed back and forth between Sreng and a few of his men who are laughing and clapping their hands. Most of the patrons have cleared to the sides or the second-storey mezzanine that surrounds the open floor tavern. The vaulted ceiling of the common area is one and the same with the structure's roof and there are several shuttered portals that are propped half-way open to allow smoke from the central firepit to escape (which is where Sreng and his cohorts are focusing their game of "catch."

No one seems to pay any special attention to Marcán as he glances through the half-open door, Borric is stacking some crates in an alley so he can jump up and try to grab hold of a downspout. For now Amon has uttered the words to another spell has it held and readies it to be discharged with its last syllable (Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Did you want to cast darkness now?)

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric scampers up the downspout with little difficulty to the roof 10 meters overhead and takes up a position next to one of the half-open skylights on the roof. Looking down your eyes are stung by the rising smoke from the fire pit, but through squinted eyes you can see Moggle being tossed back and forth like a rag doll.

Now that Borric is in place, I will unleash midnight on the unsuspecting idiots, right as one of theirs hands release Moggle during a toss. I will be aiming it to be about 2ft off of the floor so I can still see where Sreng is standing. Also so if Moggle drops to the ground, he can see to run to the rope. They won't know it's 2ft off of the floor because it's pitch black. That is unless they fall on their faces and attempt to crawl on their hands and knees. Then they will look like idiots and make themselves easy targets for my next spell.

Siveon

Bot
I'm waiting for Borric to lower the rope down before I give the signal. Besides we want Moggle on the rope before we blind everyone else how would he be able to latch on? EDIT: Oh I see now. I didn't know Darkness worked that way

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom