Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Alright, you've secured Moggle's assistance. What are you all doing next?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Amon, Moggle, do you think you could arrange an accident resulting in the oars ending up in the river? Some of us could go downriver and rescue them then circle back to Moggle's boat."

For our little strike team, I think we need to snag the oars like Rhenmyr suggested. Then we take a boat to the northern part of the keep. We can then enter by scaling the wall (Deja Vu?) and then placing ourselves in an overwatch position of the courtyard. Ready to assist the main group if needed. It also allows us some time to grab a few things before we go.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Moggle nudges Amon in the ribs and points down toward the docks from your vantage on the stoop of the hostel you've been resting in. You look on and see a small galley being tied off and a cadre of 7 strange looking ogres, disembarking. You take a longer look and suddenly realize that the largest "ogre" is none other than the giant Sreng from Lankshorn. He is bedecked in a fine fur cape that is way too small for his burly frame and has a gold crown on his head. In his left hand he is carrying a goat's head in one hand that he brandishes like a trophy, in his right is a massive greatsword slung over his shoulder. Sreng and his motley crew, look to be in a celebratory mood and stump across the docks to a rowdy longshoremen's tavern.

Currently the small galley is completely unattended and its 3 rows of large oars are stowed casually in the bottom of the boat.

Moggle laughs nervously, "Wonder what's brought Sreng here? Looks as though his siege of Fragglehorn's Keep went better than I expected. If we act fast I think we can snag a couple of those oars, people seem pretty intent on the newcomers. If you're asking me I think we should also unhitch that boat and let it drift away, that'll keep them grounded here in Dreg for a bit?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Moggle blanches, "Lead the way? By no means my friends. My sharp eyes, and keen nose will be better served as a lookout. Plus I am but a small, frail little thing; my puny arms are no match for those mighty sweeps, nor do I wish to set foot in another boat unless I must absolutely do so. Make haste my large, doughty hoomin men. Who knows how long it will take for Sreng and his bunch to drink through yon tavern's stores of ale, and then set to smashing the hell out of the place?" Moggle grins his over-large toothsome grin and rubs his paws together.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash's shoulders sink. "I was afraid you'd say that... well, who wants to go steal some oars?"

Are there people around the boat?
There are people milling around the docks who are unconnected to the boat. Whether they would give a shit if somebody stole its oars is anybody's guess. Perhaps it would help your cause to draw their attention elsewhere? The ways and means I leave up to you fine folk. . .

"Maybe we need a bit of a distraction. Say Moggle? Would you happen to know how to play the shell game? We could use three cups instead of shells. Borric could play the patsy, and you could be my co-barker. If we get enough idiots to gather around us, we can then have Rhenmyr and Urash steal the oars. Of course this is after I swindle Borric and it becomes a shouting match and eventual foot chase through the docks."

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Maybe we need a bit of a distraction. Say Moggle? Would you happen to know how to play the shell game? We could use three cups instead of shells. Borric could play the patsy, and you could be my co-barker. If we get enough idiots to gather around us, we can then have Rhenmyr and Urash steal the oars. Of course this is after I swindle Borric and it becomes a shouting match and eventual foot chase through the docks."
Moggle shakes his head but seems fascinated, "Hmmm? No, never 'eard o' it, but I think I get the jist. Let me drum up some interest, I could sell a pair o' boots to a cloven-hoofed longhorn." With that Moggle scampers off down the elevated boardwalks of Dreg whispering and cajoling at folks to gather around a barrel a short distance away from the tavern -- about 100 feet away from the boat. Shortly, small streams of folk begin to gather around the appointed place until a small crowd of about two dozen sailors, longshoremen and goblins of various heights and shapes has assembled, including the nearest bystanders to the boat.

Act out your plans and I'll let you know what kind of rolls to make once I have a sense of everyone's overall approach(es).

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
When everyone is focused on the distraction, Urash casually strolls towards the bark, looks around one last time, and climbs aboard, grabbing oars and handing them to his comrades.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Amon must make a Fast Talk roll and Craft (Sleight of Hand) roll.
L'ennui Urash needs to make a Conceal Object roll. (Whether or not you are seen depends on a couple of factors, mostly related to Amon's ability to run his scam, which will modify NPCs' Search rolls to see if they spot your perfidy).

If anybody is helping these two, then tell me how you intend to help; you might be able to modify their difficulty or ease of success by your actions.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr will go with Urash to retrieve the oars. "Let's get a move on. The master wants these oars refurbished as soon as possible."

I would like to find a place to cast liken person so I can assume the appearance of one someone not me. I would hate for someone to find me later and think their are doing the world a favor and smite me.

Amon grabs three cups from the tavern and a better than regular rock off of the ground. He walks up towards the spot where Moggle is perched.
[1d100] Fast Talk = 41 vs 46 = Success!
"Step up folks! We are going to be starting a game, one not seen in there parts ages. A game that will either display the keen eye of the observer, or their utter lack of observation. It is a game of skill. Can you concentrate and focus on which cup the rock is under? Your money depends on it! Step up folks, you first game can be played for a little as a few copper. It goes up from there and the sky's the limit."

Amon places the cups on the table and holds the rock up towards moggle before placing it under a cup.

"Moggle, my good friend. Please assist me as I demonstrate how the game is played. I will place the rock under a cup. Follow it with your eyes as I shift them around. Can you choose the right cup?

Amon deftly moves the cups in circles, as fast as he can. (Probably a good place for an agility roll? [1d100]Agility = 59 vs 80 = Success)

My plan is to play it straight for a bit. I just need someone in the group, preferably Borric, to step up first. He can probably sell the pissed off Barbarian thing when I eventually get caught screwing them over. I will save any other rolls for if someone else helps me sell the scam.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I would like to find a place to cast liken person so I can assume the appearance of one someone not me. I would hate for someone to find me later and think their are doing the world a favor and smite me.

Amon grabs three cups from the tavern and a better than regular rock off of the ground. He walks up towards the spot where Moggle is perched.
[1d100] Fast Talk = 41 vs 46 = Success!
"Step up folks! We are going to be starting a game, one not seen in there parts ages. A game that will either display the keen eye of the observer, or their utter lack of observation. It is a game of skill. Can you concentrate and focus on which cup the rock is under? Your money depends on it! Step up folks, you first game can be played for a little as a few copper. It goes up from there and the sky's the limit."

Amon places the cups on the table and holds the rock up towards moggle before placing it under a cup.

"Moggle, my good friend. Please assist me as I demonstrate how the game is played. I will place the rock under a cup. Follow it with your eyes as I shift them around. Can you choose the right cup?

Amon deftly moves the cups in circles, as fast as he can. (Probably a good place for an agility roll? [1d100]Agility = 59 vs 80 = Success)

My plan is to play it straight for a bit. I just need someone in the group, preferably Borric, to step up first. He can probably sell the pissed off Barbarian thing when I eventually get caught screwing them over. I will save any other rolls for if someone else helps me sell the scam.
Actually an Agility roll just lets you move the cups around rapidly without spilling the ball inside, anybody who is paying half-attention will be able to spot the right right cup, so . . . not exactly
goatee-magician.jpg
To actually perform a "trick" you use the Craft (sleight of hand) skill. Untrained that's 05+Agility modifier . . . then again, a spectacular failure might be just as distracting?

nikolokolus

Arcane
People are definitely interested in Amon's attempt at prestidigitation and crane their necks to observe.
Llywelyn ap Gruffydd make that Craft (Sleight of Hand) roll
Grimgravy make an agility roll to see if you can handle the oars quickly and quietly.

nikolokolus

Arcane
As Amon rapidly moves the cup and attempts to palm the ball, it slips and rolls on the ground. This gets a loud chortling guffaw from the crowd. Some of them wave their hands dismissively and start to walk away . . . You're losing 'em Amon. Better think of something fast!

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash hands Rhenmyr the first of the heavy oars and he pulls it on top of the dock as he hears laughter erupt from the crowd to his right. He can see Amon on his hands and knees trying to pick something up.

L'ennui

Magister
Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Amon must make a Fast Talk roll and Craft (Sleight of Hand) roll.
L'ennui Urash needs to make a Conceal Object roll. (Whether or not you are seen depends on a couple of factors, mostly related to Amon's ability to run his scam, which will modify NPCs' Search rolls to see if they spot your perfidy).

If anybody is helping these two, then tell me how you intend to help; you might be able to modify their difficulty or ease of success by your actions.

[1d100] = 86 vs 30 Conceal Object skill. Nope! S-oar-ry, comrades.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom